Best hand wash method

Status
Not open for further replies.
I progressed from using a synthetic sponge to a lambwool mit, either a Meguiars or a full natural mit from a sheepskin retailer.

However, is this the best way to wash my car and anything else to watch out for. Obviously I want my car clean, but I don't want it scratched as well. I use the Meguiars Gold Class wash. I have to use a pressure spayer due to water restrictions, can't wash directly from a hose, otherwise I can use a bucket.

use a 2 bucket method. 1 bucket for your car soap, the other to dip your mitt in after each panel washed to get rid of the dirt and grime off your mitt. A good idea is to frequently wet your panel down b4 you wash it with your soapy mitt to ensure it doesnt scratch, and always check your mitt frequently for trapped dirt. Also, use a light pressure when washing the car.

That's a good question. I've tried it, but won't buy or use one again. I've found that the synthetic fiber one's hold up better and are more fluffier when wet. The lambswool ones seem to go completely flat when wet. It's the fluffyness that sweeps, traps and keeps dirt away from the surface.

I use a sheep skin mitt from Target. Not sure if it's the same thing as lambwool mitt, but I like it. It's very gentle and does absolutely no harm (scratches) to the paint. The first one lasted me about 2 years. Now I just got a second one.

Thanks for the info.
I have both a Meguiars lamswool Mit and a double sided lamswool mit made at a Sheepskin store. The difference is that the Meguiars is lined whilst the sheepskin mit has a skin backing which means the mit fills with water. The sheepskin mit does however have a better density and the wool tends to stand out whilst the Meguiars falls over and flattens. The sheepskin Mit having 2 sides means you can turn it over and use both sides.

I usually run water into the unstoppered sink, position the soap bar between my hands, rub both hands along the bar and replace it in its holder, work the lather onto both hands, top and bottom, then rinse my cleaned hands under the running water, turn off the spigot, and finally reach for a nearby towell and dry them. Mom taught me this technique and it's never failed me.
smile.gif

Sheepskin is my favourite recommended washing media because you know what you're getting (it's leather on the inside) and they're relatively easy to find. Lambswool or synthetic mitts are risky because they can be blended with synthetic fibers or be pure synthetic, which could be safe, but could also be scratch-city. Like I said, they're a risky proposition.

Microfiber should also be safe, but a few people think they're grabby, and 100% cotton chenille can be hard to come by. As far as I know, Viking is the only company currently making one, but it absolutely has to say 100% cotton, since they sell 2 versions.

I have one of those horse hair brush's, found it in Groit's catalog and has lasted about 10 yrs so far. Does a good juob of not scratching the paint.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
I have one of those horse hair brush's, found it in Groit's catalog and has lasted about 10 yrs so far. Does a good juob of not scratching the paint.

Horse hair or boar's hair? Apparently some people are hardcore fans of genuine boar's hair, but getting the real thing (like from Griot's) is pricey or limited.

It could be boar's hair?

Mine has lasted about 10 yrs, cheap at 2x the price to me. All those other mitts etc have never lasted very long and if you don't clean them, they will scratch your paint. The brush just needs to hosed off and your done. At the time I thought is might be a waste of money but it has lasted a long time and still is in the same condition it was new.

Having posted this with the customer relations guru at Mother's....the most important trait is to use the "fluffiest" wash mit available. Why? So that it can entrap dirt etc. and hold it inside the fibers rather than moving it across the paint surface.

That said, I've found the lambswool to go completely flat when wet compared to the fluffy synthetic fiber $5 mit.

The "microfiber" ones also seem too flat and not fluffy at all...however, the Meguirs microfiber rag is awesome for drying...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Having posted this with the customer relations guru at Mother's....the most important trait is to use the "fluffiest" wash mit available. Why? So that it can entrap dirt etc. and hold it inside the fibers rather than moving it across the paint surface.

That said, I've found the lambswool to go completely flat when wet compared to the fluffy synthetic fiber $5 mit.

Don't trust us eh?
wink.gif

Don't use the cheap synthetic mitt. Really. Fluffiness is good and all, but keep in mind that trapping dirt can be a double edged sword. You don't want something to trap dirt too well. The sheepskin mitt isn't perfectly flat, and one job of car shampoo is to lubricate everything to prevent scratching.

How many times have you used the sheepskin mitt? If it's brand new or almost new it'll be pretty flat like when you bought it. Use it a few more times though and fluff it out in the rinse bucket with your fingers to dislodge dirt, and after a while it'll become "frizzy" and be more puffed out, not laid flat like it is naturally.

Another thing I like about sheepskin is that it's easier to fluff out the dirt from the fur (hey, that's what it is!
tongue.gif
) than from chenille or the synthetic mitts I've had in the past.

quote:

Originally posted by 4DSC:
Don't use the cheap synthetic mitt. Really.

Ditto. I did a car-care demo for the local Miata club in June. One portion of the demo was to take a sythetic mitt and a sheepskin mitt and rub them sidebyside onto freshly polished paint (both mitts were wet). The synthetic side had lots of hairline scratches, the wool side had none.

quote:

Originally posted by HOndaGuy:
use a 2 bucket method. 1 bucket for your car soap, the other to dip your mitt in after each panel washed to get rid of the dirt and grime off your mitt. A good idea is to frequently wet your panel down b4 you wash it with your soapy mitt to ensure it doesnt scratch, and always check your mitt frequently for trapped dirt. Also, use a light pressure when washing the car.

Thanks, Now using this method. Now the dirt is in the rinse bucket. I don't know why I didn't think of this, I would frequently squeeze out the mit, but this method is much better.

quote:

Originally posted by Scooter:
Another good option is a 100% cotton chenile wash mitt. They are inexpensive, won't scratch your paint and, unlike lambswool, it is washable.

yea i got this one from wal mart, the viking brand, for 2.97 i think. I like it alot, i had a real nice lambswool one with a good inner lining but it fell apart badly (machine wash, not good idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back