Best Gas Mileage OIl

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its measurable I would say the thinist of the recommended grade in full synthetic.

Originally Posted by tblt44
If its measurable I would say the thinist of the recommended grade in full synthetic.

What does full synthetic have in terms of additives that results in less friction than a similarly formulated (ie, additives) conventional oil?

If you want to reduce friction then adding something like Liqui Moly Ceratec has more influence on engine friction level than different standard motor oil formulations.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by sloinker
... Back in the day Arco tried graphite and it failed due to it clogging up passages and caused engine failure. ...
That never happened or even threatened to happen when I used it for near 100k continuously.

I developed a rod knock in a vehicle using the Arco graphite. I haven't looked but remember ARCO pulling it because of too many lawsuits resulting in them buying too many engines. Maybe I'm mistaken.

... Back in the day Arco tried graphite and it failed due to it clogging up passages and caused engine failure. ...
That never happened or even threatened to happen when I used it for near 100k continuously.

I developed a rod knock in a vehicle using the Arco graphite. I haven't looked but remember ARCO pulling it because of too many lawsuits resulting in them buying too many engines. Maybe I'm mistaken.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1980/1008/100856.html

——

We're getting kinda off topic, lol. But anyway to the OP, motor oil is just one factor in increasing MPGs and the results are usually so minimal you'll really not see a difference

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

——

We're getting kinda off topic, lol. But anyway to the OP, motor oil is just one factor in increasing MPGs and the results are usually so minimal you'll really not see a difference

That article is from 1980, does it stand the test of time?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

——

Has to be some kind of huge decrease in viscosity, like from 20W-50 or 10W-40 to 5W-30 or 0W/5W-20. Then you'll see it. Otherwise, tends to be a placebo.

Ford saving something like 0.2% of an MPG may be overestimating that number is often cited as a reason 5W-20 oils are "Only to meet CAFE" well.. more convinced of other countries, and if they are, in fact,
different. Thought they also went to thinner recently but I hear of a lot of bump-ups to a 30 grade. I have to say, I am certainly re-thinking the thin oil game, after some recent possible close calls with some of my vehicles. They seem to like a 30 better. Hmmm. Now, of course, if they say 5W-30 on the cap (and they do) then one has to wonder if there is relation, or if there was even problem.. but fuel economy is more about tire inflation and how fast you drive.

Oil may be optional, be a rebel.

And they have the Energy Conserving Starburst, so.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
Only way to improve fuel economy is the driver.

This is the most important factor.

Too easy of an answer (though somewhat true)...

I have seen (in the last 90-days) 2 different tire brands (same size/same category) change my gas mileage 2-4 mpg.

I have also seen different oil brands change it the same. An while I know most people aren't worried about MPG (my wife included), I have always be concerned/intrigued by the possibilities. I guess I don't like leaving money on the table...

Also, I have seen changing the ATF from conventional to synthetic add 1-2mpg. All this adds to my correctly tuned 09 Mazda 3 (2.3L), getting 30-32 on the road when the EPA rates it at 27 highway. So it can make a difference (especially if we ever go back to $4-5 a gallon gas). This could all fall under the heading of annal retention. It also seems that ignorance is bliss after all.

If every factor except oil was held constant, then 0W-8 oil would give better gas mileage. That's the whole drive of thinner oils - ie, less shear friction.

As far as oil formulation in the sane viscosities from the major oil blenders, I highly doubt you could measure much if any difference if all other factors were held constant. The viscosity has a stronger influence on engine drag then the oil formulation.

Total oil Viscosity or heated viscosity? They are often different...

Originally Posted by cwhard
If every factor except oil was held constant, then 0W-8 oil would give better gas mileage. That's the whole drive of thinner oils - ie, less shear friction.

As far as oil formulation in the sane viscosities from the major oil blenders, I highly doubt you could measure much if any difference if all other factors were held constant. The viscosity has a stronger influence on engine drag then the oil formulation.

Total oil Viscosity or heated viscosity? They are often different...

At normal hot operating temperature which is where engines run most of the time. Of course a 0W-20 is thinner than say a 10W-30 at all temperatures.

I'm assuming something like these:

Screenshot_20190814-214221.jpg

Screenshot_20190814-214341.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back