Best Electrical Contact Cleaner

one can of dexoit is about 10 year supply for me.. so Price doesnt matter much. (as long as we arent taking $40+)

Deoxit or CRC

Watched someone once learn the painful way that the dollar store, extreme bargain basement stuff isn't kind to the plastics that tend to be in the vicinity of vehicle terminals...

I'm wondering what the difference is between the CRC red can and the CRC blue can.

I used the red can on the connector that goes to the oil pressure sensor to rinse the oil off. Works good.
Awhile back when I was on my Windows 7 laptop, I accidentally spilled a little bit of coffee on the keyboard. The keys became hard to press and were sticky. I had a can of the red CRC and sprayed the spill area. I continued pressing the keys as I sprayed them, and they were as good as new. I was so happy that I didn't have to take the keyboard apart, or that it didn't do any damage. YMMV.

CRC has way too many varieties of contact cleaner...

I've use a lot of CRC CO and it's not all that inspiring as a general cleaner, for contacts specifically I question how well it really cleans them. Sure they seem to work better after cleaning, but how much of that was the contact cleaner versus the mechanical wiping action from demating the contacts to gain access to them I can't say.

CRC QD in a blue can is a pretty good safe cleaner / de-greaser / brake cleaner substitute for general use, but again I'm not sure how well it really does for contacts specifically.

Also QD apparently comes in at least four different varieties / packages, red can, green can, blue can, and "Marine", what the heck is the difference?!

I find the CRC electrical cleaner doesn't seem any different than the brake parts cleaner in practice.
I use this:

IMG_6861.jpg

I just ordered a can of Deoxit off Amazon yesterday based on this thread. Thank you all for the recommendation. Will give it a go when it arrives. I have used CRC aerosol for years, since it is available down the street from my house at Ace Hardware.

Deoxit all the way. As previously stated: less is more. It really doesn't take much, and the spray is so thin it can be hard to judge the amount being applied.

As an auto technician, I've found Deoxit application to cure many a "phantom" electrical issue. APP issues, MAF codes, I've even used it to clean and improve main body harness connectors compromised by water intrusion. While it isn't a "cure all" product, it's proven to be invaluable in a pinch.

Typical contact cleaners do a very good job of degreasing and moving debris off the application area.

I'm a big fan of Deoxit. It not only cleans decently, but also has some chemistry that de-oxidizes the conductors as well. If you've got some of the "green crustys", this is good stuff!
I like it too. Getting expensive lately. I think the de-oxidizer agent is a weak acid. Use a vinegar wash on connectors, maybe ?

I think I used the DeoxIT for speaker wire and interconnect cables along with speaker / stereo terminals . Also used it for headlights and battery clamps / post . That was many years ago .

Last edited:
Also applied to AC plugs of stereo equipment , video , computer and surge protectors . Used Q-tips dipped in G5 and removed access with dry Q-tip . Would see dark residue on them .

Last edited:
Deoxit is expensive. I got a bottle of oleic acid and make my own contact cleaner by mixing 5% oleic acid in mineral spirits. It works quite well in my radio hobby.
Google is my friend. Olive oil is about 80% oleic aci, and the "ole" is derived from "olive". Can olive oil be used as contact cleaner? LOL

Just shot my GMT-900 brake light switch with some Deoxit D5 to address cruise control engagement issues. So far so good with a half dozen engagements. I sometimes had to pull up on the pedal to get engagement. Beats having to replace the switch, at least for now. We'll see what happens.

Back