Best DRUM brake lube

whats the best lube to use for drum brakes? specifically where the shoe meets the backing plate.
I was gonna try permatex ceramic extreme lube, any one ever used it?

The reason I'm getting so finiky over it is the vehicle I'm working on has notoriously problematic rear brakes, It sees a lot of salt in the winter, and I am a "spirited" driver.

At the shoe-to-backing-plate points I use either silicone grease or antiseize. Permatex ceramic extreme lube seems like a good choice. They advertised that it's especially made for the application.

Just think about when what ever lube that is used gets all full of brake dust. Any really hi temp lube will do.

antiseize is not a lubricant.
It is handy in shops, and guys often grab it and use it as such.
It is better than nothing, I suppose.

Drum brakes are pretty well protected from weather compared to discs. But they don't allow dust to leave the premises as well.

Wheel bearing grease, moly chassis grease, and of course SylGlide will work well.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
antiseize is not a lubricant.
It is handy in shops, and guys often grab it and use it as such.
It is better than nothing, I suppose.

Drum brakes are pretty well protected from weather compared to discs. But they don't allow dust to leave the premises as well.

Wheel bearing grease, moly chassis grease, and of course SylGlide will work well.

Please elaborate.

Then why do threads coated w/ antiseize get torqued to a lower value? Hmmm, maybe cause they're "lubed"?

Well sure - then we can say bacon grease is also lubricant. Also, plain old spit would lower torque values.

Anti seize [as a lubricant] is a poor choice for moving parts.
I used it on countless things, and have a good handle on what it is suitable for. It gets dry and allows metal contact. It is helpful for movement for a very short term only.
Grease has oil suspended in it, and continues to flow and lube things.

Auto part stores sell Coastal brand caliper pin lube, so I use that on all brake parts that need grease.

It is synthetic and contains moly.

I recently replaced my rear drum brakes on my Dodge Ram 1500 and I used hi temp copper formula anti seize thread lubricant on the adjuster assembly threads and the backing plate shoe support pads. No sure it was a good idea to use it on the backing plate. Any thoughts? Should I lubricate with something else?

Well sure - then we can say bacon grease is also lubricant. Also, plain old spit would lower torque values.

Anti seize [as a lubricant] is a poor choice for moving parts.
I used it on countless things, and have a good handle on what it is suitable for. It gets dry and allows metal contact. It is helpful for movement for a very short term only.
Grease has oil suspended in it, and continues to flow and lube things.
not all anti-seize dries I use a bentonite clay based anti seize and it doesn't dry.

I was thinking I was gonna need something with alot of solid EP additives ???

All the companies I worked at the factory instructions say to use the same brake paste as on the ears of the pads. So, at Honda it was Honda M77 moly paste, at BMW it’s their own zinc/graphite/aluminium powder based brake paste. I prefer the Honda moly paste. Does a good job of staying where you put it and preventing any noise from the shoes moving. You want something that acts as a anti friction lubricant under extreme pressure. Anti seize will not typically do a good job with that. I also use the M77 on the pivots where the shoes meet the pin and where the shoes touch the adjuster mechanism.

Last edited:
Back