Best Dex-Cool Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a '96' Jimmy 4x4 with 210k on the clock from the original owner who has worked at a GM dealer all his life. I want to do a drain and fill on the radiator. Coolant reservoir looks nice and pink still. No sludge/mud. Is their one brand of Dex-Cool that is preferred in our forums other than another? I have AC Delco and Shell readily at my disposal. Thanks.

I've used the Prestone version from Wal-Mart all along, in several different vehicles. No problems here.

anything with the GM logo on the bottle will work fine. should say 'Dex-Cool approved' or 'Dex-Cool certified', something like that. Beware if it says Dex-Cool compatible with no logo.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
anything with the GM logo on the bottle will work fine. should say 'Dex-Cool approved' or 'Dex-Cool certified', something like that. Beware if it says Dex-Cool compatible with no logo.

+1

I used Havoline. Were they not the original formulators of Dex-Cool?

Anyways, it has the GM logo and says it meets asian specs too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Dex-Cool is a licensed formulation; anything branded as Dex-Cool should be the same stuff. Buy whatever is cheapest to acquire.

+1 if you have access to Delco then I would go for it!

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I used Havoline. Were they not the original formulators of Dex-Cool?

That's what I've always heard as well.

As far as I know, that is what's in the AC Delco bottles.
wink.gif

I try to stick with Zerex, or Havoline/Delco.

Yeah, zerex or havoline is what I use. I run Zerex in the saab, and havoline in the Chevy, just figuring that perhaps the zerex uses the BASF glysantin chemistry (used to have a brocheure that implied that the zerex coolants are the glysantin ones), used in Europe, and that Havoline, as the original supplier, is what would have been used by GM in their plant in NJ where my truck was built.

I always used Prestone because they are one of a few companies that actually make orange colored DexCool, instead of some yellow dyed fluid that juts happens to have 2-EH and is supposed to change color to match the existing coolant in the car.

I just wanted to make a correction to my other post:

My Havoline bottle has the Chevron symbol, not GM's. The description does go on to say that it meets all GM Dex-Cool requirements.

I have also used the Prestone GM Dexcool and just did a coolant flush and it worked wonderfully and the engine is a lot cooler then it use to be and I can get my hand close to it too and when I open the hood it doesn't feel hot either like it use to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back