Best deck stain?

So I got a new deck and they said it needs to be stained to protect the wood, anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-224810_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210714-224810_Gallery.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 26
Michigan is a high VOC state, so we have options that are not available elsewhere.

For some odd reason, I found this site to have what I believe is the most trustworthy recommendations: https://www.deckstainhelp.com/

I tried some of the recommendations of the decades old Consumer Reports testing with abysmal results. Good luck. Quality information and reviews are extremely difficult to come by and stain formulations of the big box store offerings change often.

It's pressure treated? I'd do some reading on stain vs sealant, and solid colors vs transparent products. My parents keep on using solid color deck stain and while it looks good for that summer it all flakes off in the winter and gets stained itself from leaves in the fall... Its essentially paint IMO and I can't be bothered with sanding and pressure washing and reapplying "stain" every couple years, so I used western red cedar and leave it as is and it turns grey. I did apply transparent Thompsons water seal which did bead up the water for a year or two when the deck was a couple years old and its not really visually noticeable, but that was 10-12 years ago and I've done nothing since and all but a couple boards are fine. Next deck I might try clear thompsons water sealer from the start and reapply every couple years.

So I got a new deck and they said it needs to be stained to protect the wood, anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Thompson's water seal is what we tried last summer and it didn't work so towards the end of the summer we'll be researching this as well.

How "new" is the deck? The deck should weather to remove the mill glaze and allow the chemicals used to treat the wood to leach out a bit and the pores to open up to accept the stain. 90 days is usually enough, some take a lot longer. A quick way to test is to spill a little water on it, if it balls up don't stain it! If it gets absorbed quickly you're usually GTG. Test in areas that are not directly exposed to the sun all day, areas in the sun will weather faster and can lead to false results. Cabot and Benjamin Moore make some good stains. I'd stay clear of a solid stain, and use a oil product. Keep in mind if the deck is on the north side of the house oil stains are prone to mold and mildew. Decks maintenance items.

It's a good idea to give it a fast power wash before staining and be certain it has dried out before applying your coating.

Cabot Stains.

I painted mine. I primed it with oil based primer and used floor and porch paint on the decking and exterior latex enamel on the railing.

Use TWP transparent or semi transparent stain. I got it from a local paint store for a Rainbow play set that I’m doing this fall. Do NOT use a solid color stain or paint unless you want to do this all the time and have to sand and remove the old flaking stuff. As mentioned above, make sure the wood is ready for stain before slopping it on.

Sikkens Cytol was the name, now sold but formula the same, only found at select places, like 40-60/gallon. Compared to others holds up great worth the cost, Cannot remember the new name though

Cabot and Benjamin Moore are pretty much all I will use for exterior work. Have a great experience w/ Cabot Exterior Solid deck stain on a not well maintained (by the prior owner) deck. Didn't want a solid, but was best for the condition of the deck. Prepped the wood, 4 coats over two years and touch up since then, on a waterfront deck on Cape Cod...pretty tough conditions relatively speaking.

Back