Best current protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
its ok. But browsers are still vulnerable. I'll give you one example. A hacker figures out the vulnerabilities of a browser, how to use the browser to compromise your system. He writes a program that checks the browser type and runs something bad. He breaks into somebody's website, puts a program that runs on your machine when you click on the link in a google search. Boom, your hosed. Antivirus does nothing because it thinks its your doing something locally. Email with a link to the website with the program is another way.

Browsers like Firefox have built in protection for that. Phishing and Malware Protection works by checking the sites that you visit against lists of reported phishing and malware sites supported globally by ISP's. These lists are automatically downloaded and updated every 30 minutes or so. If you go to one of those sites you get an ugly red warning message in the browser. IE9 may or may not have that feature.

You can install Firefox and Ad Block Plus without losing any function to IE9. Run them both for a while till your comfortable with a new browser.

I use Avast (free), MalwareBytes (free), SuperAntiSpyware (free), and Comodo Firewall (free).

Hate to be that guy (I actually really love it)

but. . . . . .

Since I have switched to Macs, I have never once had a single issue. . . .

Im not saying threats for macs do not exist, but I mean, you really have to try HARD to get a Mac infected. . . .

lol

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

but. . . . . .

Im not saying threats for macs do not exist, but I mean, you really have to try HARD to get a Mac infected. . . .

lol

Yeah, would be pretty hard to infect a Mac with a virus created for Windows
lol.gif
...You don't see many viruses because few if any are created for macs. Thats because hackers can cast a wider net creating viruses for the Windows installed base of 90%.

I agree 1000% on FF, it is the best browser I have ever used. Add in the Web Of Trust, Ad Blocker Plus and Do Not Track Me add-ons and it gets even more secure. I also use Key Scrambler so dirtbags can't get my info with a Key Logger program. Every single character I type is encrypted, just one more good tool to help keep online dirtbags at bay.

I also use Avast and the Avast Web Rep add-on for FF that gives me a very good indication of the security of any web site in my browser. It is very similar to the Norton Safe Web tool. I use MWB and SAS for malware and cookie/spyware scanning and Avast has very good spyware protection too. Avast is a very good AV program. I like the different individual online shields it provides and I really like how I can open it up and tell at a glance what it is doing and what it has been doing to keep the bad stuff away.

The very best thing about all of these programs and security tools is they are all 100% free. I like that. Using common sense when online goes a very long way at keeping my system protected as well.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

lol.gif
...You don't see many viruses because few if any are created for macs. Thats because hackers can cast a wider net creating viruses for the Windows installed base of 90%.

And then there was Linux, to rule them all! Faster, free, safer.

Jimmy,
Have you given FF a reset lately? All the big releases (16,17, etc.) have some substantial changes. Turns out they don't completely take effect on an upgrade, partially held back by the extensions/add-ons. For FF 17 i thought it wasn't anything special till I reset everything to defaults, then re-installed the add-ons. To my shock the memory management is entirely different. Tiny and tab specific. Not separate processes, but if you switch tab the total memory shrinks. Did not act like that till I performed a reset. I don't see anything in about:config, must be in the code. Caching has changed also.

With each release I stop hacking the performance, delete more add-ons. I don't have pipe-lining on anymore and its screaming fast. One thing they should integrate is tab mix plus. Can't live without that. And while I'm at it, another nice tool is OpenDownload2 which gives you the "run" option like IE rather than having to download everything you install. Puts in tmp for a scan, then boom, your installing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

but. . . . . .

lol

lol.gif

Exactly.

Even as Mac sales and use has grown, the virus threats have remained next to nil. . .

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

And then there was Linux, to rule them all! Faster, free, safer.

You just reminded me that, in theory at least, Linux users could also get a virus too. It's been a few years since I last ran a scan so tonight it is.

With clamtk, would running a recursive scan of / result in infinite recursion or is it smarter than that?

Jimmy,
Have you given FF a reset lately? All the big releases (16,17, etc.) have some substantial changes. Turns out they don't completely take effect on an upgrade, partially held back by the extensions/add-ons. For FF 17 i thought it wasn't anything special till I reset everything to defaults, then re-installed the add-ons. To my shock the memory management is entirely different. Tiny and tab specific. Not separate processes, but if you switch tab the total memory shrinks. Did not act like that till I performed a reset. I don't see anything in about:config, must be in the code. Caching has changed also.

Yeah, I noticed huge memory leaks with the FF 17 update. Closing FF and rebooting seemed to fix it.

Last edited:
I have FF 17.0 but I have no idea about the memory and tab issues. I am learning but still know very little about computers. FF is working very well for me though, I can definitely say that much.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The best protection available is still a sandbox/virtualization program.

01.gif

Haven't used an antivirus program in years.I'm still using XP operating system as well.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
The best protection available is still a sandbox/virtualization program.

01.gif

Haven't used an antivirus program in years.

It may be time to finally come off that porch.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back