Best Classic "Green" Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by racerviii
Originally Posted by paulri
Valvoline Zerex conventional Green is a true 5 year coolant (most greens aren't), and when I was looking around (previous car) that my mechanic told me needed it, this brand of green coolant met the most specs, so I went with that. For my current vehicles, I use Zerex Asian coolant.
How can a conventional green coolant be long life? What's in it that makes it long life? Surely it has to have some kind of OAT in it?
Good questions, and there was a recent discussion on Zerex Green and how it could claim 5 year service interval. I will swear that on Amazon, a claim of using an OAT inhibitor was made. After an inquiry to Zerex, the Amazon Zerex Green entry with reference vanished. Zerex basically said they do not use an OAT inhibitor in Zerex Green. If it did then it would not truly be an IAT AF, original/conventional green. It is a low silicate formula, which would help with a lengthened service interval. Beyond that it seems a question mark.

That said, if the price was right for the concentrate, I'd have no qualms about using it for conventional green applications.

Edit. Looks like link to referenced discussion posted before I finished my post. Be that as it may, post here summarizes what was said from my perspective.

Last edited:
There is no classic green anymore AFAIK
cry.gif

Zerex Green is just G-05 dyed green

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The radiator is FINALLY on its way here, but probably won't be here until the end of the week.

I'll wander over to either NAPA or Advance and pick up a jug or two of their house brand(concentrated of course, since I can't bring myself to buy pre-mix for $1 less a gallon and know I'm getting half water).

Honestly, the drain interval doesn't bother me-it would be exceptionally unusual for me to go 2 years without draining the coolant in this car for one reason or another, and unless what comes out is pristine I always replace with fresh. I'm planning an engine rebuild in the next year or two, so whatever I put in now will probably stay until then.

I need to do the Marina also before I get it back on the road. I think 4 gallons total(2 concentrate+2 gallons DI water) should cover both cars.

That's a nice thing about original green, still comes as a concentrate. In addition to not paying for half water with premix (50/50), makes doing a complete system flush (if desired), easily doable.

Also unlike a previous post I do believe there are still original/conventional green IAT AFs. If not there's a lot of false advertising going on from some major reputable suppliers like those mentioned in this thread including Motorcraft Original Green.

As for Zerex Green not being an original green as posited in this thread, but rather green tinted G-05 HOAT, without some definitive proof not a leap I can make at this point. Tech dept did deny using OAT inhibitor, so until more evidence beyond some nebulous patent info, I'll go with thier description.

slacktide_bitog said:
There is no classic green anymore AFAIK
cry.gif

Zerex Green is just G-05 dyed green[/quote]
Then I guess you should email/call Valvoline and tell them they're doing it wrong....‚.. because it says right on their website that Zerex Green is a classic IAT coolant.

The Asians don't like silicates and the Europeans don't care for phosphates. So anything marked global is going to be a non 2-EHA acid, hybrid "HOAT" with little to no silicates/phosphates.

Dex G-40 is another beast all together... avoid it if you can....‚
[Linked Image]

Alright, I stopped by AAP yesterday and got the last two bottles of Carquest-brand "Conventional Green" concentrate on the shelf. 4 gallons of coolant should cover me for the MG and the Marina.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite finished installing the radiator yet-I decided to throw new flex hoses on it while I had it apart, and I didn't appreciate just how much less...flexible...a new hose is compared to the old ones. Also, the dimensions seem a bit off-it arrived with nuts already brazed onto the mounting holes, but it took a bit of finessing to get everything lined up correctly. I have a few more bolts to finagle in(the ones holding the radiator mounting plate to the body) and then a trip under the car to tighten up some hose clamps, but other than that I'll be ready to refill.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Alright, I stopped by AAP yesterday and got the last two bottles of Carquest-brand "Conventional Green" concentrate on the shelf. 4 gallons of coolant should cover me for the MG and the Marina.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite finished installing the radiator yet-I decided to throw new flex hoses on it while I had it apart, and I didn't appreciate just how much less...flexible...a new hose is compared to the old ones. Also, the dimensions seem a bit off-it arrived with nuts already brazed onto the mounting holes, but it took a bit of finessing to get everything lined up correctly. I have a few more bolts to finagle in(the ones holding the radiator mounting plate to the body) and then a trip under the car to tighten up some hose clamps, but other than that I'll be ready to refill.

Yeah....the replacement parts quality for some of the British stuff is variable, but at least you can get new parts. Good luck.

I think the whole you have to use certain brand coolants with certain car models is a lot of non sense. Both of my cars are old enough to where it don't have any recommendations on which coolant to use, but my moms 2000 s-10, and her 1997 s-10 blazer recommend using dex-cool. My moms s10 has the green coolant in it, and it still cools the engine just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back