help me choose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's time for a new radiator on my 95 ford F150 (5.8 L).

I believe when I first bought it new it had the green coolant from the factory.

when it came time for a flush I decided to use prestone long life orange coolant, hey it was PRESTONE and how could you go wrong with that?

and you could find it everywhere...

never had any cooling problems, but after doing a little research I think I should have stuck with the green coolant (probably was Zerex Original Green).

anyway, with the new radiator what's my best bet for a refill after a thorough flush?

Zerex Original Green or Zerex G-05?

if it's all the same i'm leaning towards the Zerex Original Green as that's what's in my 96 Bronco.

appreciate any advice, thanks.

Coolants have improved a lot since the old green stuff of the past. People like to say, "if you change it every X years, your good to go".
The thing is, back in the day, people who maintained their vehicles regularly using old green had more cooling system issues than we are experiencing with modern vehicles.

If you look at the ASTM D2809 corrosion test data provided by Valvoline, old green is nothing to write home about.
I'd use Zerex G-05.

I'd help you choose a better topic title such as

"Need help deciding which coolant for 95 f150"

In this I think you cant go wrong with conventional green.

G05 is superior but green would be more convenient in your situation.....pick your poison. either would be fine.

Go with the superior coolant.
Simply having some for a second vehicle isn't a strong enough reason.
IF you were in a space capsule or submarine you could stress the space or inventory savings

G-05, best of both worlds. Old school IAT technology for fast acting passivation of metal surfaces, plus OAT technology for longer life. A good hybrid (HOAT) mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back