Best Brand of Gasoline

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Your the second person that claims good results from
ConocoPhillips
Read an forum not long ago where a guy travel across country and tried different brands along the way
Chevron and ConocoPhillips resulted in the best mpg

It's an interesting observation but probably completely pointless. There's so many factors that can account for an increase or decrease in gas mileage.

The BTU content of gas is the same, only the additive package is different. Temperature, hills, speed, warm/cold engine etc are all factors that could affect gas mileage.

On more than one occasion (3) I was told by dieerent dealerships (and three different brand cars) to run a tank of Shell though and cal me back. Not saying that there are other brands...

Originally Posted by Wolf359
The BTU content of gas is the same, only the additive package is different. Temperature, hills, speed, warm/cold engine etc are all factors that could affect gas mileage.

Actually no it is not. I linked an article a while back that discussed trying to measure "real world" fuel economy and they noted that even at the same gas station the energy content of the gasoline varied by up to 4%. In order to even begin to get some sort of accurate number the use of standardized test fuel was required. The variation in energy density they observed was more than enough to swamp many of the other variables in driving. This observed difference was independent of the swings one sees between winter and summer fuel if you live in northern states.

As an aside it was a good illustration of why it is impossible to discern the fuel economy effects often claimed by 3rd party additive manufacturers. With the myriad of uncontrolled variables in everyday driving (many of which you list above) it is in fact impossible to detect the relatively small change any such additive may cause.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Actually no it is not. I linked an article a while back that discussed trying to measure "real world" fuel economy and they noted that even at the same gas station the energy content of the gasoline varied by up to 4%. In order to even begin to get some sort of accurate number the use of standardized test fuel was required. The variation in energy density they observed was more than enough to swamp many of the other variables in driving. This observed difference was independent of the swings one sees between winter and summer fuel if you live in northern states.

As an aside it was a good illustration of why it is impossible to discern the fuel economy effects often claimed by 3rd party additive manufacturers. With the myriad of uncontrolled variables in everyday driving (many of which you list above) it is in fact impossible to detect the relatively small change any such additive may cause.

OK???

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Most gasoline now is pure junk. When I used to work on the pipeline all our premium had to be 95 octane. 91 Octane was cut rate regular.

Octane rating is the determinate of quality?

Costco, because of price
thumbsup2.gif

;
OK what? It was stated that the BTU content of gasoline is uniform, which it is not.

OK what? It was stated that the BTU content of gasoline is uniform, which it is not.

Not sure what was sated...just relaying what My experiences were...
Situation #11 was a Jeep Grand Cherikie (SP?) - would stall during excelleration from a dead stop, at an intersection. Turned out being an emmision system probelem.
Situation #2 was a GM piston slap issue during the early 2000's. Turned out being a piston slap issue... I guess?
Situation #3 was a brand new Nissan Altima hesitating and bogging excelleration...turned out being a faulty fuel pump.

So, these are real situations, and all three dealerships said to run a tank of Shellnthroughbtobseevifvthevprobkem went away. Not sure what else I can add? I am surevtherevarecothercquality fpgades our tiger.
Tom

Only thing I can add is that my friend who's owned his repair shop for over 30 years and works on all kinds of cars and trucks
Tells me he replaces more fuel pumps that use mom and pop stores and Walmart gas
His advice is use a top tier gas from a high volume store that pumps a lot of gas every month to insure clean fresh gas

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Only thing I can add is that my friend who's owned his repair shop for over 30 years and works on all kinds of cars and trucks
Tells me he replaces more fuel pumps that use mom and pop stores and Walmart gas
His advice is use a top tier gas from a high volume store that pumps a lot of gas every month to insure clean fresh gas

+1, exactly...use tier one gas.
Auto manufacturers, like Audi, actually make mention of this in their owners manual.

I live near a ship port with a medium size fuel terminal. Most of the gas stations in the area are one of a few regional chains. Now, these chains all use the same carrier and get fuel from the same terminal but each store has a different brand. Only Walmart and Costco use different carriers and their own brands.

I suspect it is all identical down to the brand's additive that is probably added at the terminal rack.

Walmart and Costco probably truck their fuel in from a pipeline a few hours away. They are the first to run out in a storage, where those feeding from the port terminal don't run out (unless a hurricane comes, like florence)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GZRider
Shell or Chevron 93 octane is my first choice.
Equally important to the brand is to choose a station that sells enough premium gas (or whatever you are purchasing) per month that the stuff in their tanks isn't stale though and their tanks are leaky.

I'm absolutely in agreement with both points GZRider makes. I have two engines that get repeat dyno runs. One is a tuned Jaguar-engined Thunderbird, the other Harley-Davidson with 120R engine. Dyno results for both engines show more torque is produced using Shell and Chevron 93 octane gasoline than any other I've tried. My preference is Shell 93 from one gas station in particular located in a ritzy part of town with a high number of exotic performance cars. This Shell station gets criticized on social media because they charge several cents more than other local stations. But their Shell gasoline, at least the premium grade, appears to be the best I can find in Dallas. And I am not opposed to driving a few miles to get 100 octane racing fuel if I feel the situation warrants. My second preference for Chevron 93 octane is due to knowing Grady Davis when he was executive VP of Gulf. And Techron is my favorite fuel system cleaner.

[Linked Image]

Exactly
It's up to the terminal rack to add the additive package per brand of gas
That's a little unnerving to me to be honest
If they do or if they don't means you and I and everybody else may or may not getting what we're paying for 🤔

I usually buy from Chevron for a few reasons. 1) It's top tier and uses one of the most well tested and respected additives. Since I run 92 Supreme it comes with high doses of Techron. I've never had a fuel related issue buying from Chevron for over 30 years. 2) It's my local station and locally owned so it's both convenient and supports the local economy. 3) Their prices are fair for the area (cheaper or the same than the other local Top Tier fuel stations including Union 76 and Shell). 4) Gives discount from Safeway rewards which I usually have at least a $.10 discount every couple of weeks.

Can't go wrong with Chevron
May have changed by now 🤔
But Chevron was the choice pick for car makers to test engines for mpg test in the past

Didn't think about it at first post but QT and Costco are both company owned and totally top down controlled. Before Top Tier, a franchiser lost Mobil by selling bad gas. This would not deter me from using a TT franchise, but suspect that QT and Costco would give an additional protection.

Back