Best battery charger alligator clips?

After searching Amazon and Google, I've been unable to come up with a set of alligator clips of high quality. Clearly, there are cheap copper plated clips that will work. However, I have multiple battery chargers that have bad clips and I'd like some good ones. Any thoughts?

All my chargers are 10A or less, so I don't want 500 amp clamps. I just want some quality clips for trickle charging.

What I don't want:

shopping

Thanks, Sky, but both are too small.

I should mention that the clamping force must be high, and they must be about the same size as the originals. I charge aircraft batteries that are very hard to reach on our Extra 300L stunt plane. Can't have them popping off.

Crocks are a bad way to connect.
Permanently install a flying fused DC socket of your choice.
Make a long flying lead with a male mating connector on one end and crocks on the other if you want to help other batteries.

Search for 'parrot jaw' clamps, rather than alligator. These can exert many times the clamping force.

Ideally, instead of the hinge pin and immediate surrounding metal conducting juicefrom one jaw to the other, there is a braided cable bridging the jaws so the far jaw can share the load much more equally.

Clamp on jaws are of course necessary and convenient, but any clamp on connection is only as good as the person positioning it on the battrery terminal and terminal clamp.

The jaws of any clamp need to really dig in, to have adequate surface area to reduce point source heating and incurred voltage drop.

Jaws properly set, often, chew up the post clamps whether lead or steel.

Much better is a closed end ring terminal( no visible copper stranding) properly crimped and heatshrinked, and a connector on proper gauge wire/cable.

I have found SAE 12v connectors to be inadequate, and one can unintentionally reverse polarity when an input is used as an output. Do label these as input or output or use some red electrical tape on the + portion, or both. The + terminal on the battery end of the SAE connector should be enclosed/protected.

Many years ago, I made extensive use of SAE connectors on 10 and 18awg, and while many fold better than 12v ciggy plug/power ports, the bullet connectors in those plastic molded housings, wear out, then heat up, and become flakey. Stinky plastic hot passing 25 amps for 10 minutes+. Cancel. I've removed them ALL. Also SAE gauge cable is 6 to 12% thinner than AWG cables.

I use Anderson Powerpoles now. They are rated for 10K plug/unplug cycles, I would not trust SAE connectors for more than 200 cycles. APP's have a stainless steel leaf spring inside pushing the contacts together firmly, and are self wiping.

Anderson Powerpoles in the 15/30/45 amp varieties, all use the same size plastic housings, a 45 can mate to a 15. The only difference is where the wire is crimped into the contact. 15 and 30 can be crimped without their special crimping tool, the 45's 'can' but one needs to be mindful of what they are doing and have some good crimping skills. The special Anderson powerpole crimper is something I put off buying for much longer than I should have. It is a good time saver and insures a quality reliable electrical and mechanical connection and while not quite 'idiot-proof', it comes pretty close.

All my charging sources have 45 amp Anderson powerpoles, and if I need to put it on a different battery I have some alligator clamps with powerpoles and 8AWG from each end of each clamp. I've squared off the points of the jaws so they have more surface area and do not chew up the post clamps on the battery itself to nearly the same degree.

On any battery which is going to have a charger added and removed regularly I'd recommend avoiding and clamps/jaws entirely.

Another benefit of the Anderson powerpoles, or any connector away from the battery terminals, is any potential sparking occurs well away from the battery top. If the cord is kicked/ tripped over, the connector pulls apart rather than a clamp being ripped off a potentially gassing battery and potentially igniting those gasses.

Here’s these on eBay. Not sure on the quality though. Likely what you already have, but you get 20 pcs too.

Attachments

• 2C71FD01-C704-43DC-9F1C-8EBBB6388569.png
    2C71FD01-C704-43DC-9F1C-8EBBB6388569.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 31
Search for 'parrot jaw' clamps, rather than alligator. These can exert many times the clamping force.

Ideally, instead of the hinge pin and immediate surrounding metal conducting juicefrom one jaw to the other, there is a braided cable bridging the jaws so the far jaw can share the load much more equally.

Clamp on jaws are of course necessary and convenient, but any clamp on connection is only as good as the person positioning it on the battrery terminal and terminal clamp.

The jaws of any clamp need to really dig in, to have adequate surface area to reduce point source heating and incurred voltage drop.

Jaws properly set, often, chew up the post clamps whether lead or steel.

Much better is a closed end ring terminal( no visible copper stranding) properly crimped and heatshrinked, and a connector on proper gauge wire/cable.

I have found SAE 12v connectors to be inadequate, and one can unintentionally reverse polarity when an input is used as an output. Do label these as input or output or use some red electrical tape on the + portion, or both. The + terminal on the battery end of the SAE connector should be enclosed/protected.

Many years ago, I made extensive use of SAE connectors on 10 and 18awg, and while many fold better than 12v ciggy plug/power ports, the bullet connectors in those plastic molded housings, wear out, then heat up, and become flakey. Stinky plastic hot passing 25 amps for 10 minutes+. Cancel. I've removed them ALL. Also SAE gauge cable is 6 to 12% thinner than AWG cables.

I use Anderson Powerpoles now. They are rated for 10K plug/unplug cycles, I would not trust SAE connectors for more than 200 cycles. APP's have a stainless steel leaf spring inside pushing the contacts together firmly, and are self wiping.

Anderson Powerpoles in the 15/30/45 amp varieties, all use the same size plastic housings, a 45 can mate to a 15. The only difference is where the wire is crimped into the contact. 15 and 30 can be crimped without their special crimping tool, the 45's 'can' but one needs to be mindful of what they are doing and have some good crimping skills. The special Anderson powerpole crimper is something I put off buying for much longer than I should have. It is a good time saver and insures a quality reliable electrical and mechanical connection and while not quite 'idiot-proof', it comes pretty close.

All my charging sources have 45 amp Anderson powerpoles, and if I need to put it on a different battery I have some alligator clamps with powerpoles and 8AWG from each end of each clamp. I've squared off the points of the jaws so they have more surface area and do not chew up the post clamps on the battery itself to nearly the same degree.

On any battery which is going to have a charger added and removed regularly I'd recommend avoiding and clamps/jaws entirely.

Another benefit of the Anderson powerpoles, or any connector away from the battery terminals, is any potential sparking occurs well away from the battery top. If the cord is kicked/ tripped over, the connector pulls apart rather than a clamp being ripped off a potentially gassing battery and potentially igniting those gasses.

Connecting the battery prior to plugging in the charger avoids sparking though correct?

Connecting the battery prior to plugging in the charger avoids sparking though correct?

Depends on the charger itself. I use adjustable voltage power supplies as manual chargers, and the 100 amp one will have a spark jump to fill the large capacitors within, the other 40 amp one does not, but I added an 'Ideal diode' to its output, to keep the Ammeter voltmeter columb counter and additional fans from running when I remove AC.

Generally, most smartchargers sold today have to have all the safety features, but a clamp ripped off a battery while still charging, inadvertently or not, can/will cause a spark, so its always best to unplug from the grid first and allow the battery to suck capacitors dry before clamp removal.

If one is in a quiet environment and rips a cableclamp off a battery while the charger is doing its thing, one can hear some components inside the charger protest at the sudden removal of load, especially when the charging source was outputting near its amperage limit into a depleted battery. This is cumulatively abusive, and a practice best avoided.

Generally 'the jumping spark' is most dangerous on a recently charged battery, at higher states of charge, that has been offgassing. But one with a shorted cell can also have a lot of hydrogen gas filling the tops of cells and in the general vicinity of the post.

The spark is why 'they' want jumper cables hooked up last, to a nearby ground, instead of the battery (-) itself.

This 'nearby ground' introduces resistance, and can make jumping more difficult, especially with poor quality cables/clamps or user error when clamping them. The existing battery to 'nearby ground' cables are often undersized, and compromised as well.

I've added huge Anderson power connectors in the middle of quality jumper cables before. Then one can clamp one half to one battery the other to the other battery then hook the Anderson connector together, and no spark can occur near either battery.

The Anderson contacts need a quality crimper. A hammer crimper does not qualify.

They go upto 4/0 and 450 amps, and I've have no fear doubling that max amp rating for a second or 3.

Most starters for gassers, are rated in the 1.4KW output range, and use ~1800 watts input. if battery voltage drops to 10 during cranking, that is 180 amps. The higher the voltage the battery can maintain during cranking, the less amperage will be measured/required to turn the engine, and for lesser duration of that load too.

I've started my 5.2 liter v8 through a pair of anderson powerpoles 45 amp versions, without issue. 90 amps each, for under 2 seconds, I could not even feel heat from them. The Anderson 'powerpoles' 15/30/45 amp flavors whose plastic housings are identical and mate with each other, are different than the Anderson SB connectors, which are all different physical sizes. The 4/0 450 amp SB connector above is larger than the size of most men's palm.

Technically the 45 amp anderson powerpoles accept wire upto 10AWG thickness.
I fit 8AWG into them but have to destrand slightly at the contact, and then taper the wire insulation with a razor to be able to insert the crimped connector into the housing until it 'clicks'.

Alligator/parrot Clamps are necessary to have, but for more regular connections made or broken, they are best bypassed. IN my experience the best connector for DC connections is the Andersons, from 18AWG to 4/0.

They require proper crimping/ methods though.
To see what the marine guys consider proper:

In the Op's case I would use properly sized tinned copper ring terminals on the 1/2" nut which tightens the clamp on the battery post and use Anderson powerpoles. Even though he intends only to have maintenance chargers attached I'd use 8 or 10AWG to the powerpole from those posts.

The 15 amp anderson powerpole connectors are designed for thinner wire. but I tend to only buy 45 amp contacts designed for 10-12 gauge and fold the stripped wire over several times to 10-12 awg thickness then crimp, and use a few layers of adhesive lined heatshrink as wire stress relief and might even use Amazing goop or show goo on the backside wire entry as well.

I've got 45 amp andersons everywhere, on everything DC. They are not flawless and perfect, but I know of no connector that is. They are not waterproof but one can fill the wire entry end with liquid E tape or shoe goo, and the mating ends with dielectric grease, and achieve the same or better IP rating as 12v SAE connectors, and have a much lower resistance, much more reliable long term connector that can handle many thousand connect/disconnect cycles.

There are lots of Anderson connector clones on the market. One does not save significant $ by using them. I have purchased them ( powerpole clones, not SB), and they do mate side by side and to each other end to end without issue in my experience, but I recommend buying genuine Anderson.

Another option for 10AWG and thinner, and for those with good soldering skills and who are already not committed to Andersons, are the significantly less expensive HT60 connectors. Not having chose that road, I have no opinion on them, but know that others respect them.

In the Op's case I would use properly sized tinned copper ring terminals on the 1/2" nut which tightens the clamp on the battery post and use Anderson powerpoles.

I appreciate your input. I'm capable of all of the above. However, I work on a fleet of aircraft. One of the problems with aircraft is the inability to do any alterations.

The issue with the Extra 300L is that the battery is very difficult for me to access. It's between the front passengers feet. Crawling in there is not easy at all. Furthermore, it's about and around all the fuel lines, and adjacent to the aerobatic fuel tank. The solution remains a good set of clamps.

The battery is located forward of the wing spar. The only access is to crawl head first into the area below.

red_xtra_resize.jpg

The same goes for our Stemme S10 Glider. It's battery is inside the tail.

6qj3zNc.jpg

In this case, the battery is located behind the solar panels and behind the tail to fuselage interface. It's difficult enough to remove the panels, the entire tail needs to be removed to pull the battery!

And then there is the Cessna. With it's battery way back in the tail.

Last edited:
It may still spark, but the question is where. The traditional way to jump start through a live battery is to finish the connection to the dead battery's ground away from the battery. Dead battery tend to outgas hydrogen. That being said, I've charged a new battery directly to the terminals rather than find a wire to complete it further away, but a two month old battery shouldn't have too many problems with outgassing.

Some of the portable jump starters have a switch so it's not actually connected and able to spark until the switch is flipped. I'm not that worried about using a battery charger connected to live posts as long as it's not plugged in when connecting the clamps.

Understood.
Remote easy access connector not allowed.
Maximum PITA required, by law, to top charge/maintain battery.

Any chance they have a 12v powerport inside the cockpit that's always hot?

I've considered modifying small 1 inch steel spring clamps, with shaped finned copper 'incisors' on the jaws. Attach properly crimped ring terminals from charger to copper directly, instead of steel. Could electrically isolate steel clamp from copper if one really desired for some degree of extra safety from unintentional shorts.
TO 220 heatsinks

s-l1600.jpg

Heck, even aluminum is 30 times a better electrical conductor than steel.

Copper plated steel clamps are jokes, as you know. More than good enough for most though.

I've drilled and tapped copper heatsinks shown above, and 4mm thick flatt2 copper bar stock, for 10-24 and 6mm and 1/4x20 machine threads. Plenty of thread strength, especially if one does not run the tap all the way through, but lets the screw itself finish forming them.

Heck, even aluminum is 30 times a better electrical conductor than steel.

Copper plated steel clamps are jokes, as you know. More than good enough for most though.
Low conductivity can be overcome with just more material though, and a typical clamp is lots of material. And different types of steel have different conductivity. You probably get the difference between different types of conductors depending on purity, grain, etc? I still remember something about scattering centers due to impurities. Most alloys are lower in conductivity as a result. This says that pure iron is about 7 times more conductive than stainless steel.

Take a steel cheap alligator clamp, hammer it flat, fold it over hammer it again, then again, if possible, then stuff it in a hydraulic crimper and compress it.
How much cross section is there?
Significantly more than the cross section of wire leading to the clamp?
How much maximum current can be expected to pass?

An alligator clamp's jaws, where the teeth touch the actual post, the post clamp, post clamp bolt, in how many spots? One can hook up an alligator clamp mechanically securely, with just a tiny percentage of the available surface area of the jaws
Ideal and acceptable are often far apart.
The squeezer of clamp and their ability to position it's teeth and flats on available surface, can determine whether a solid mechanical and electrical connection is made, or something substantially less than that.

A clamp design which allows for lots of secure surface area, is more important than steel/vs copper of the clamp.

I seek to envision ideal, then define acceptable, and choose some point inbetween for my own projects.

I'm not going to argue where that point inbetween, should be, for someone else.
I present what I think Ideal would be, with information available.

I'd love to be paid well, to design the best possible battery clamps with unlimited parts budget.
Do my best to make every Bean counter's heads explode coast to coast.

Best possible clamps are not going to be able to beat a proper size ring terminal properly crimped and attached though.

Take a steel cheap alligator clamp, hammer it flat, fold it over hammer it again, then again, if possible, then stuff it in a hydraulic crimper and compress it.
How much cross section is there?
Significantly more than the cross section of wire leading to the clamp?
How much maximum current can be expected to pass?

An alligator clamp's jaws, where the teeth touch the actual post, the post clamp, post clamp bolt, in how many spots? One can hook up an alligator clamp mechanically securely, with just a tiny percentage of the available surface area of the jaws
Ideal and acceptable are often far apart.
The squeezer of clamp and their ability to position it's teeth and flats on available surface, can determine whether a solid mechanical and electrical connection is made, or something substantially less than that.

A clamp design which allows for lots of secure surface area, is more important than steel/vs copper of the clamp.

I seek to envision ideal, then define acceptable, and choose some point inbetween for my own projects.

I'm not going to argue where that point inbetween, should be, for someone else.
I present what I think Ideal would be, with information available.

I'd love to be paid well, to design the best possible battery clamps with unlimited parts budget.
Do my best to make every Bean counter's heads explode coast to coast.

Best possible clamps are not going to be able to beat a proper size ring terminal properly crimped and attached though.

How much does any of that really affect the resistance of the entire connectiion compared to just the cable. It's not exactly a wire where it's fairly easy to calculate how much more resistance is added. I remember tinned high conductivity oxygen-free copper speaker wire. As long as it's over a very short distance it doesn't do much for the resistance.

The problem with higher clamping force connectors is the fact that they will chew up the battery terminal connections. Look at a car that has been jumped a bunch of times, I suspect youll see that sort of issue, especially if access is difficult, and youre going to be reaching to make any sort of connection.

Id go with the "wimpier" ones, or else ring terminals. I suspect if you need to do paperwork related to ring terminals, youll also need to do paperwork when fully replacing the main terminals, and a lot more work/cost.

A major question, maybe I missed it being discussed above, is, do you have access to constant-on 12V someplace else? You dont HAVE to connect directly to the battery; and generally you dont want to connect to the negative terminal anyway (more of an issue with jumping, because of the spark). I have chargers hardwired to (bolted) 12V connection points that are not at the battery, or anywhere near. Examples include my Chevy pickup, which has a side terminal battery (charger connected at the load center where constant 12V is connected), and on my BMW 135i, where the battery is in the trunk, so I have it attached at the bolted underhood connection point near the jumping terminal.

The problem with higher clamping force connectors is the fact that they will chew up the battery terminal connections. Look at a car that has been jumped a bunch of times, I suspect youll see that sort of issue, especially if access is difficult, and youre going to be reaching to make any sort of connection.

Id go with the "wimpier" ones, or else ring terminals. I suspect if you need to do paperwork related to ring terminals, youll also need to do paperwork when fully replacing the main terminals, and a lot more work/cost.

A major question, maybe I missed it being discussed above, is, do you have access to constant-on 12V someplace else? You dont HAVE to connect directly to the battery; and generally you dont want to connect to the negative terminal anyway (more of an issue with jumping, because of the spark). I have chargers hardwired to (bolted) 12V connection points that are not at the battery, or anywhere near. Examples include my Chevy pickup, which has a side terminal battery (charger connected at the load center where constant 12V is connected), and on my BMW 135i, where the battery is in the trunk, so I have it attached at the bolted underhood connection point near the jumping terminal.
Where do you normally do it? I usually connect to a screw on the mail battery clamp and find some other place for ground. I've found a convenient place is the grounding wire on Honda cars.

Once someone randomly flagged me down asking for help with a jump. I happened to have my jump starter in my car with enough charge to start. But his was a BMW 3 series with the battery in the trunk. I think it might have even had special jump starting points at the front, but he insisted on connecting it straight to the battery. It started pretty easily.

All these aircraft have power ports. However they only come on with the master switch. Turning that on is a major battery drain. Often 15 amps. The power port cig lighter outlets are on 5 amp breakers. So that’s not possible.

Back