Best battery cable connector protector?

wtd

The negative battery terminal connector keeps corroding on my 2014 Mustang. I've been using the CRC battery terminal cleaner and protector spray on both terminals and the felt pads that go around and under the connectors, but it doesn't seem to work for the negative side. I have had to clean this connector about two or three times since new.

I just replaced the factory battery a couple of months ago and cleaned the connector end by using a metal brush as well as a wire wheel on my demel tool and a thin screwdriver to scrape where the brush and wire wheel couldn't get. I thought I did a good job but apparently not as I had green corrosion coming back when I looked at it yesterday. I thoroughly cleaned everything again today and was wondering if there is anything I can spray or put on the connector and terminal that will help prevent corrosion. Thanks for any suggestions.

I use NOCO on battery terminal connector.

In my experience when a battery terminal connector corrodes again after cleaning then I would say you have a leaker.

Your not going to be able to significantly stop a leaker with any product.

You potentially could be overcharging and the battery is gassing.

But my bet is a leaker.

Hope you are using a battery clamp remover rather than twisting the battery terminal connector off.

The post above is correct, you have a leaking battery.

Corrosion X "max wax" will work perfectly as long as there is no existing active corrosion.

41EpsjX2RdL._SL500_.jpg

Reactions: wtd
Clean both terminal and Cable ends with wire brush/sandpaper…….then,
NOCO Battery Terminal Protectors with an application of 3M Silicone paste over the top.

Thanks for the replies. My current battery is only two months old or so and I don't see any type of liquid around the post. The car has only been driven a couple of times since the battery replacement so I doubt it's had enough time to get damaged if there was an overcharging situation. I will put my multimeter on it and see what readings I get.

My current battery is a Motorcraft replacement battery from the dealer as it was actually cheaper than the batteries from the local parts stores.

The way this connector unbolts and comes off requires no twisting to pull it off. As soon as you loosen the side bolt, the connector just lifts off.

I will probably try one of these suggestions on coatings above and see what happens.

NOCO Battery Terminal Protectors with an application of 3M Silicone paste over the top.
x2 for silicone paste, I use high vacuum grease that I saved from the garbage at work.

I had the NOCO battery Terminal Protectors under the connectors and that didn't help. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I re-used it from when I had the original battery in it so it may have had some battery acid in it. I threw it away today since it had some green corrosion on it. I will have to get some new ones.

I have some Super Lube brand of Mult-purpose synthetic grease. Will that work or do I need to use the silicone grease?

I have some Super Lube brand of Mult-purpose synthetic grease. Will that work or do I need to use the silicone grease?
Silicone is really the best application for the terminals, but I used to use grease when I was younger and I never had an issue. But, silicone grease is a good thing to have around the garage.

Silicone is really the best application for the terminals, but I used to use grease when I was younger and I never had an issue. But, silicone grease is a good thing to have around the garage.
I do have some Permatex silicone ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant but it's orange and I'm not sure if that would be good to use. I may just have to go get some clear stuff.

Edit: I just found some Superlube brand Silicone heat sink compound. Would that work?

I do have some Permatex silicone ceramic extreme brake parts lubricant but it's orange and I'm not sure if that would be good to use. I may just have to go get some clear stuff.

Edit: I just found some Superlube brand Silicone heat sink compound. Would that work?
Looks good to me, checked its applications.. Pretty neat stuff actually.

Superlube.. Pretty good stuff actually..
Ok, thanks. I originally bought it to coat the bottom of the ICM on my 92 Cavalier when I replaced it last. I will try it on the battery terminals and see what happens. The NOCO terminal protectors come in Sunday so I will try to do everything then.

Ok, thanks. I originally bought it to coat the bottom of the ICM on my 92 Cavalier when I replaced it last. I will try it on the battery terminals and see what happens. The NOCO terminal protectors come in Sunday so I will try to do everything then.
Mix the hell out of that tube before you use it, I'm guessing its from the 90's?

If the cable exposes the strands of the copper wire spray the thinner version of Corrosion X Aviation on the exposed strands so it gets into the cable. Then use the Corrosion X Max Wax on the posts and connections.

I put the felt pads and only the thin Corrosion X Aviation on my cables and the post and connections of my battery when I got my CR-V 2 years ago and it still looks bran-new.

Of course, a leaker will make it hard to prevent the corrosion.

BTW, I have the battery post and terminal wire brush combo, but instead I use red Scotch-Bright because it gets the metal shiny and does not remove enough to cause a loose connection problem.

Back