best bang for the buck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions wanted: for a 5k OCI, what is the best bang for the buck, oil and filter combo. I live in the NE and drive moderately in a Toyoyta Corolla.

SS

FAR Valvoline Nextgen plus $5.00 P1 from AAP.
You can get the P1 for less if you buy from AAP online and spend enough to use one of their many discount codes.
Also watch for the next FAR deal on G-Oil.
Please note that both of these oils, while FAR, show very low wear on short drains, so they aren't bottom of the barrel choices.
They just aren't suited to long drains.

Any FAR oil is the best bang for the buck...err I mean, no bucks
wink.gif

At regular prices, I'd say a 5qt container of Mobil Super 5000 from Walmart is the best deal in the marketplace. It's only $1 more than Supertech.

The best bang for the buck is PYB and a purolator classic, both changed at 5000 miles.

If you want to leave your filter on for two such oil changes use PYB and a Fram Ultra or Extended Guard.

What year of Corolla? If it uses a cartridge filter that OEM Toyota filter is excellent. As is the Fram. Both very well made.

If you go the synthetic route, I would say QSUD or PP w/ a P1 or Fram Tough guard filter (whichever you can get cheaper). I've used both oil filters and never had problems with either. I've seen the winters up there and I would say this would be your best option.

As far as dino, QSGB or PYB with a Purolator Classic filter.

Advance has a good deal in their flyer right now for Havoline 5 qt jug and a Driveworks Filter for $14.99.

/Not too bad if you ask me, if you don't want to deal with mail ni rebates.

I run QSUD and a Wix filter in my Corolla. As far as synthetic goes; I think this oil is an excellent buy at just over 20 bucks a jug at Wallyworld.

Originally Posted By: Nodak
I run QSUD and a Wix filter in my Corolla. As far as synthetic goes; I think this oil is an excellent buy at just over 20 bucks a jug at Wallyworld.

I am trying to get my father in law switched over to QSUD, as he has been using Wal-Mart brand synthetic for years now. That's all he uses. I've explained to him that Quaker State "name brand" synthetic is only 30 cents more, and he says he'll check it out, but as you know old habits die hard!

It really is a superior oil to SuperTech.

For 5k OCI and it's corolla, I second Mobil super 5000. Cheaper than PYB. Hey it's a corolla, the engine will run forever on any dino oil that has the donut.

Originally Posted By: lemonade
Hey it's a corolla, the engine will run forever on any dino oil that has the donut.

I agree with this. My son lives in FL. and has a 96 Corolla.It has 190K miles,doing 5K OCIs with 5W30 ST and Purolator Classic filters.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: Nodak

I am trying to get my father in law switched over to QSUD, as he has been using Wal-Mart brand synthetic for years now. That's all he uses. I've explained to him that Quaker State "name brand" synthetic is only 30 cents more, and he says he'll check it out, but as you know old habits die hard!

It really is a superior oil to SuperTech.

Yea, it seems to be good stuff. Mechanic friend and people on this site, (Lexus 114 in particular), recommended QSUD to me. Other than some Cenex Maxtron, this is what I use in the Corolla. Probably will start using it in my Rav4 also. Never tried the Supertech syn., it's probably ok, but there is little price difference between the two as you mentioned so I think QSUD is a heck of a buy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back