Best ATF- P/S fluid for "Lighter feel" in P/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Redline D4 ATF in my last truck and am now using it in my current 4R. Last truck was a '93 p/u with the 3.0 which had steering pump heat issues. I had it rebuilt twice before switching to Redline and it never had a problem after that. It also made the steering lighter and I had to adjust the force I used to turn. It felt VERY smooth. I don't think you'll see any difference between Redline and M1, though.

Originally Posted By: Toyoguy
The turkey baster method was the best/ most doable option for me at the time. I think once I get a little time to "become more brave" with the power steering system, I'm going to try out a few more methods.

Here's the best/simplest method for an effective, complete PS change. I do this method. It takes about $7.50 in parts (hose barb and 10' of tubing), which you can re-use indefinitely. This may be what artbuc was referring to:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-ca...ice-needed.html

If you want to be very thorough, put some Transtune in the PS system prior to flushing and follow the directions on the can/website for PS systems. Worked wonders on an Acura of mine, less impact on the Toyotas. I am partial to MaxLife for ATF and PS, but I love Mobil 1 in the engine and their fluids are top shelf, no problem there. A pure synthetic IMO works better than a blend, but if that's what you got, it's good.

If you can't get Seafoam/transtune where you are, here's how to home brew some using diesel, naptha, and iso-heet:

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/

Very helpful stuff for a few different ailments (trans and PS systems, coked rings, injectors or carb jets).

Keep in mind, your manual says "Dexron II/III" because it is 2000 my. Dexron VI did not come out until 2005; impossible to spec. it in 2000! It is backward-compatible and really superior in all regards to Dex II/III. Use something better than Dex II/III w/o hesitation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
The turkey baster method was the best/ most doable option for me at the time. I think once I get a little time to "become more brave" with the power steering system, I'm going to try out a few more methods.

Here's the best/simplest method for an effective, complete PS change. I do this method. It takes about $7.50 in parts (hose barb and 10' of tubing), which you can re-use indefinitely. This may be what artbuc was referring to:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-ca...ice-needed.html

If you want to be very thorough, put some Transtune in the PS system prior to flushing and follow the directions on the can/website for PS systems. Worked wonders on an Acura of mine, less impact on the Toyotas. I am partial to MaxLife for ATF and PS, but I love Mobil 1 in the engine and their fluids are top shelf, no problem there. A pure synthetic IMO works better than a blend, but if that's what you got, it's good.

If you can't get Seafoam/transtune where you are, here's how to home brew some using diesel, naptha, and iso-heet:

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/

Very helpful stuff for a few different ailments (trans and PS systems, coked rings, injectors or carb jets).

Keep in mind, your manual says "Dexron II/III" because it is 2000 my. Dexron VI did not come out until 2005; impossible to spec. it in 2000! It is backward-compatible and really superior in all regards to Dex II/III. Use something better than Dex II/III w/o hesitation.

Thats a great article. We need more people like that to take a good product and scientifically make it available to the masses. I wonder if I could take some ISO HEET and dissolve naphtha moth balls in it to try and get the proper mix ratio. I use TCW3 for an UCL and it seems to work well... another thread I know. I've always been open to using diesel, and this article was just what I was looking for.

For Toyota owners. Why does Toyota call for Dexron III in my 04 Camry PS system but the AT uses Type T-IV? Will Type T-IV work in the PS? I always have a few quarts of Mobil 3309 in my cabinet but have to purchase a Dexron III or equivalent at Menards or Bomgaars. Regards

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
For Toyota owners. Why does Toyota call for Dexron III in my 04 Camry PS system but the AT uses Type T-IV? Will Type T-IV work in the PS? I always have a few quarts of Mobil 3309 in my cabinet but have to purchase a Dexron III or equivalent at Menards or Bomgaars. Regards

I do not know but I can say that I have read several T/L auto forums for 10-15 years and have never heard anyone recommend using ATF in a PS system.

^ ATF for power steering is specified by several manufacturers.

A lot of people don't read instructions, so not surprising it is rarely mentioned on various forums.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
^ ATF for power steering is specified by several manufacturers.

A lot of people don't read instructions, so not surprising it is rarely mentioned on various forums.

Oops. I meant to say Toyota Type IV ATF. Sorry for the confusion. Type IV is a totally different animal than Dex II/III and they are definitely not interchangeable in a tranny or PS system.

Last edited:
Boss302fan-Goodness. An XJS V12! How well does it run? What kind of power are you getting from that beast? How much oil does it take!? I would love to see pictures of that engine. Oh, and power steering talk and junk...sorry I went off topic, but come on its a V12 people.

I love it(32K miles) and it runs like a new Jag but without all the leaks and coolant problems. LOL... All the gasket were replaced under warranty before I purchased it. It takes around 11 quarts of oil and I change it once a year. The V12 really is a smooth running reliable engine, its pretty amazing.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

I would think that it would work.

The biggest difference between DexIII and T-IV is the friction modifier content. Friction modifiers only make a difference in how automatic clutch packs function. Since a power steering system has no wet clutches in it, T-IV is probably not going to be a problem.

It makes me think of what I do with Fords. Many older Ford vehicles would call for Type-F in the power steering and Mercon in the transmission. I would put Mercon in the power steering and never have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back