Best ATF For Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxlife and be done with it. Works great in my 2012 Civic, 2001 Corolla and 1990 Chevy Blazer. Old and new vehicles, it's hard to beat.

i'm as anal as the next BITOG'er WRT putting fluid in my honda's. here's my opinion and it's worth the price charged - nothing...
smile.gif
if there were issues with castrol or maxlife in honda's you can be sure it would be well publicized. some people may not like the feel of the shifts using these fluids but i have yet to hear of any significant transmissions failures due to using one of these two fluids.

next up for my 03 ody is maxlife. the 3 1 gallon jugs i bought were on sale so couldn't pass it up. i'll probably cringe a little as i pour the fluid into the transmission but i'm sure it will likely be OK. i'm sure it's better than z-1, which is pretty much highly friction modified dex.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quakish
i'm as anal as the next BITOG'er WRT putting fluid in my honda's. here's my opinion and it's worth the price charged - nothing...
smile.gif
if there were issues with castrol or maxlife in honda's you can be sure it would be well publicized. some people may not like the feel of the shifts using these fluids but i have yet to hear of any significant transmissions failures due to using one of these two fluids.

next up for my 03 ody is maxlife. the 3 1 gallon jugs i bought were on sale so couldn't pass it up. i'll probably cringe a little as i pour the fluid into the transmission but i'm sure it will likely be OK. i'm sure it's better than z-1, which is pretty much highly friction modified dex.

I Use maxlife in everyone of my Honda's and my friends 00 Ody all w/ no problems pour it in and sleep well!

Last edited:
If you're apprehensive about a non-DW1 fluid, do a single D&F with your aftermarket fluid of choice and drive it for a month. If you like it, do another D&F when you get a chance. Still shifting good? Do another D&F and drive for a month. Still good? Do another D&F.

If at any point it starts to shift unacceptably, switch back to DW1.

I can't speak for a Civic, but on my CR-V, a D&F is crazy easy.

And just to scare the DW1 fan boys: I run Lubegard Red in my CR-V. Horror of horrors!

Originally Posted By: drolds
The Z-1 ATF is the standard viscosity dexron type fluid for all Hondas made prior to 2009.
For Hondas made 2009 and later, you should use DW-1 low- viscosity ATF. Be sure that the fluid you buy has the Z-1 additive package w/ proper anti-shudder additives for your 2002 Civic.

1994 Dodge Interpid ES 3.5 Amsoil Signature Series
and Amsoil ATF

My recent trip to the Honda Parts revealed that Honda has not made nor sells Z-1 for some time. DW-1 is spec'd as backwards compatible for older cars.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: drolds
The Z-1 ATF is the standard viscosity dexron type fluid for all Hondas made prior to 2009.
For Hondas made 2009 and later, you should use DW-1 low- viscosity ATF. Be sure that the fluid you buy has the Z-1 additive package w/ proper anti-shudder additives for your 2002 Civic.

1994 Dodge Interpid ES 3.5 Amsoil Signature Series
and Amsoil ATF

My recent trip to the Honda Parts revealed that Honda has not made nor sells Z-1 for some time. DW-1 is spec'd as backwards compatible for older cars.

You can still find Z1 online, and Beak and Arnley sells Honda ATF Z1
and they sell it at SEARS for 6$ a QT.... So if you want Z1 and most people know Beck Arnley makes very good OEM parts and FLUIDS that are exact OEM spec most thier parts are not cheap and very high Qality, SO again if you want Z1 go to Sears and get it.. Hope this helps

34nguxh.jpg

BA may be a very good ATF fluid for Z1 applications, but it's not Honda labeled Z1. Z1 is a proprietary Honda oem product that only Honda sells, or in this case used to sell. ATF 'for' Z1 does not make it the same as Honda labeled Z1.

As to whether BA ATF is an exact chemical match to oem Z1, without analysis is speculation. In any case I'm doubtful that it is any better than any of the other aftermarket ATF's mentioned in this thread, that now have suitable/recommended for Z1 and DW1 on the bottle and/or data sheet.

Now with Z1 superseded by DW1 all Hondas have been back spec'd to DW1. Looking back at Z1, as far as shear stability, it was really nothing special. I'd say any of the current alternative ATF's noted in this thread are better than Z1 was.

Actually you can still get Z-1 made by Idemitsu which is the OEM supplier to Honda.

It is called Idemitsu Type H. Which is Z-1

There are a number of on line stores that sell it.

But I agree that some aftermarket products like
Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle ATF (non synthetic) surpasses Z-1 in overall performance at a fraction of the price.

Maxlife ATF is good too but I wouldn't use a full synthetic ATF in my older Honda as they never designed the gaskets and seals to deal with the higher performance product.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Maxlife ATF is good too but I wouldn't use a full synthetic ATF in my older Honda as they never designed the gaskets and seals to deal with the higher performance product.

i'm assuming this is just your opinion? because there are alot of people that seem to be using maxlife in older honda's without any known issue with gaskets or seals. i'm no maxlife fanboy but let's try and keep with facts. unless you have any factual info that maxlife does degrade gaskets and seals on older honda's. in that case please share. i'd love to know more before i dump maxlife into my 03 honda.

Does that apply to Toyota and BMW as well?

I use M1 ATF in the 1996 Honda, the 1994 BMW and the 1999 Sienna. Nothing leaks BTW.

I wouldn't use a full synthetic ATF in my older Honda as they never designed the gaskets and seals to deal with the higher performance product.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Does that apply to Toyota and BMW as well?

I use M1 ATF in the 1996 Honda, the 1994 BMW and the 1999 Sienna. Nothing leaks BTW.

I wouldn't use a full synthetic ATF in my older Honda as they never designed the gaskets and seals to deal with the higher performance product.

Guess you are lucky. Plenty of people have this problem with synthetics whether it is engine oil or transmission fluid related.

Before synthetics became popular until the past few years or so
(not the case with European makes which seem to adopted them earlier) the manufacturers can and have specified gaskets and seals that are cheaper and don't handle synthetics as well.
I would agree that anything made in the past 5-7 years won't have any problem.

Originally Posted By: Quakish
....because there are alot of people that seem to be using maxlife in older honda's without any known issue with gaskets or seals. ....

Good point. Many members post running synthetic MaxLife in older Hondas spec'd for Z1 with no issues of any kind. I have ~40k miles on ML an 01 Civic and absolutely no issues. If you want to see an explanation of why the synthetic ATF's can start at a lower viscosity than older shear prone conventional fluid like Z1, MolaKule's linked thread on improvements in DexVI is very enlightening. Bottom line, synthetics are much more shear stable than earlier conventional ATF's. Again, any of the ATF's noted in this thread including MaxLife are better than the shear prone Z1 was. And mine and others experience posted here show no merit to the ML synthetic or seal speculation. And quite frankly, only seen such speculation by one poster.

Improvements in DexronVI over DexronIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back