Best air hose for a reel?

I have a DeWalt hose reel, specially this one

Its worked well for 3 years, I was sad to see the hose was made in china though. Just today I grabbed it and pulled it to inflate a tire, and heard about 20 loud pops, where it had failed all up and down the hose...

1698341722956.jpeg

1698341728867.jpeg

Its 50ft of 3/8 hose, but it has this flare fitting crimped on the end. Will it be easy to replace this?

1698341809622.jpeg

1698341815818.jpeg

What brand of hose should I get? To feed the reel I have a Goodyear made in USA hose, which seems pretty good. Should I just order the same thing?

Thermoid is the absolute best. You'll find them at businesses that make hydraulic and pneumatic hoses for machinery. There should be a least one place in your home town that does that. The hose will be custom made to your specifications. All of the necessary hose fittings will be provided.

Can you cut off that ferrule and use the fitting on a new hose? Our local Ace hardware has crimp ferrules . You could also check your local welding supply or a local hydraulic hose shop. As far as a hose recommendation, my son bought me a Flexilla hose for my compressor and I love it. It doesn’t retain too much of a set and you can buy the hose and your own fittings. The fittings don’t require special tools and install with wrenches. It also stays flexible in cold weather.

Buy a flexzilla

or a blubird?

If you have a Parker store in your area, go there and try the hoses for weight, thickness, flexibility, etc. I have a black rubber one that is still going after 10 years and is unbelievably flexible, just throw it out and it doesnt kink or tangle.

The Flexzilla stuff is pretty nice. I have one on a cheap HF manual reel.

The biggest downside I've found is they HATE hot works -- I melted a hole in one with just the spray of sparks from a basic 4.5" grinder. I never thought of it because a more typical rubber hose would not have cared at all.

Also my Walmart at least used to carry something that looked like a Flexzilla et al competitor. Not sure if it's as good, but I mention it because it's likely readily available for the majority.

I’ve always preferred the pink rubber gates air hoses over the flexzilla. Lays flatter when off the reel. Just spray some brake clean on a rag and wipe the hose off as you guide it back on. Then it’s always clean for the next use.

I did manage to get the fitting off, and as it turns out, a 1/2 PEX clamp is very snug on there. So I can probably just throw 1 or 2 PEX clamps on and call it a day

I ordered a Goodyear hose for now, and if that fails I will go all out with a really premium hose

Reelcraft Reeltek. A good friend of my dad’s designed the first gen ~20 years ago. (Not that you should buy it because of that, just a fun fact.) I always appreciated how you can see the gear teeth. A lot of them you really had to guess on.

If I didn’t have a higher end model that my uncle gave to me (he also used to work there), I’d have one as well.

*Dang I missed you already had one. I’ve had good luck with Continental hose on my reel. I also am trying to like Flexzilla but I have no idea how they do on reels. They sell their own reel kits so I am guessing it’s fine.

Back