Best 9mm for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Buy the gun that fits you. Asking for others input is like asking others 'boxers or briefs'.
2. If you like Glocks, the Glock 26 is small and holds 10-12 rounds.
3. The best thing about Glocks is their reliability. No other gun will eat mud, rainwater, coffee, dandruff and dog hair and still go "bang" every single time like a Glock.
4. Practice - practice - practice.

Last edited:
dkryan. . .don't really wanna disclose the agency on an internet forum. And I like I said, I didn't have any problems with my issued Sig, but I know others did and confidence was lost. According to the armorers, SIG did respond by tracing the issue to a specific outsourced part that was defective--some guns had it and others did not. . . I don't recall the part, but I could ask one of the armorers about it. The problem was (as I was told) that Sig denied the problem up to a point that legal action was discussed and then they started fixing them. . by that point, the decision had been made to dump 'em. As of this writing, I don't know anyone who doesn't like the Glocks that replaced them.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Picking a gun is like picking a girl, you have to go to the gun shop and look and touch. Glocks are a Great gun, but I hate mine, I prefer Smith & Wesson, other people hate them. Berretta's are another nice feeling gun, but again its what you like and how "your" hand fits it.

Yah that's got a lot to do with it "the feel"...I used to think I liked my S&W 66-2 buy actually I can't really stand it. It's not comfortable especially with the standard target grips. I loved the feel of the most recent Steyr 9mm and now I cain't find any for sale except used.

But I think you gotta turn the lights off to know if you really like the feel...if someone invades your home while you are sleeping apoon waking are you gonna grab this pistol and think "oh yah let's roll!" or are you gonna grab your phone....Most I know would grab their their Droid phone first.

I went off topic...but I like the look of the XD...time to cop a feel...then I'll know...

Originally Posted By: skippy
Kahr CW9.

Voted most likely to be my next firearm purchase.:D

Glock 19/17
Smith and Wesson M&P9
Springfield Armory XD9

Can't go wrong with any of those. Get which one feels right for you.

It mostly depends what your needs are, but:

Star Model BKM (if you can find one. These are a "refinement" of the M1911, scaled down in alloy, and some people consider them to be ergonomically superior to the Colt Commander)
Star Firestar M43

Any Ruger, Taurus, BERSA

Last edited:
I can see a budget revolver being just fine but its hard to go cheap with a semi-auto. If I had to choose a cheaper semi auto it would probably be a ruger. The only cheap semi auto I have ever owned that was any good was a Rock Island Armory 1911 for around $350 new.

A good choice is also the S&W M&P series they feel good point well and are very reliable. I have put 11,000 rounds through mine now and no problems. I also shoot and carry a Glock 17 and 19 and also a 26. All are great so you need to pick what you feel comfortable with and will carry and practice with to safe and efficient with what ever you chose. Rugers are well made as well so just go to a local range if you have one and rent a couple to try them out. I know money is tight, but dont buy junk wait a few weeks and by smart your family may have to thank you for it one day that hopefully will never come.

I'd have to vote for the S&W Sigma if you were asking about the best for the money. I have one chambered in the 40 S&W caliber and its been pretty much flawless with hundreds of rounds of various cheap junk.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Best for the money and size? Ruger SR9C.

img0709y.jpg

Love mine. Best trigger of any striker I've found (and I've owned Glocks, Own S&W M&P (which would be my 2nd choice but $$$ and shot XP and others)

The Ruger is very accurate, comes with both a full size 17 round and 10 compact round mag, small enough to carry but very reliable.

For around $300 you can get a Kel-tec. My Dad just bought one and while its accurate, the trigger is the worst thing I've shot.

Bill

I carry a "fullsize" sr9. That pic is of a later one ("D" shaped mag release) than mine, which has a better trigger than mine did.
So I put a ghost inc trigger reset bar in mine, which made it alot better. I also removed the magazine disconnect.
I carry in a galco cop holster, outside the waistband.
I paid 399 plus the ceasar's portion.

Light, slim, 17+1, and has been nothing but reliable.
My friend that rents one of my rooms bought a later sr9C like the one pictured, it has a better trigger than mine did out of the box, and all around seems to be a pretty fantastic compact package.

Last edited:
Find you one of the Sig "P6" West German Police surplus guns that were imported in mass a few years ago. Its the same model as the U.S. P225. The German designation is "P6."
You should be able to find one for $300-400 in a pawn shop or gun store. [censored], even Gander Mountain was selling them for $350-370 a couple years ago. Its an unparralelled bargain. Absolute premium quality for a fair price.
Oh, and superior safety to any other pistol out there.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
Find you one of the Sig "P6" West German Police surplus guns that were imported in mass a few years ago. Its the same model as the U.S. P225. The German designation is "P6."
You should be able to find one for $300-400 in a pawn shop or gun store. [censored], even Gander Mountain was selling them for $350-370 a couple years ago. Its an unparralelled bargain. Absolute premium quality for a fair price.
Oh, and superior safety to any other pistol out there.

I agree 100%. I picked up a very nice P6 surplus earlier this year and it quickly became my favorite 9mm. I shoot it more accurately than any 9mm I have (including a Glock and Hi-Power). An absolutely great gun for the money.

This was the first 8 rounds I fired through the gun. Range was 15 yards, standing, modified Weaver. Anytime you can shoot a strange gun this well you know you've got a winner.

P225_T1.jpg

Thats the gun I was talking about that G-MAN posted the pic above of.
Typical Sig. Functions exactly like all other Sigs. Same excellent decocking lever and other identical controls. A REAL exposed hammer (unlike a glock,) A safe double action trigger with a heavy pull and a long stroke for the first shot to make control better in "questionable" first shot situations (unlike a glock,) following shots are typical light DA pull of course, and you can cock the hammer manually anytime you want (unlike a glock.)

This pistol is small, short, compact and lightweight. Ideal for concealed carry. Its ultra-reliable as long as you keep it lubricated. It has a narrow grip due to its single stack magazine that feels absolutely natural in the hand. And they are available dirt cheap. Just look around.

There is simply no better alternative on the market right now, by a long shot.

I realise the is "Best for the money", however I love my Beretta Mod. 92 Out of the many I tried, it just "fit" my hand(s) the best. Having had severe carpal tunnel in both hands some years ago, that means a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back