Best 0w20 to resist fuel dilution in Honda 1.5 TGDI engine? And use in Honda J35 V6s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have a very special engine. Even in 100 degree weather it don’t come up to temp that quick. It’s the nature of this specific engine as it’s so efficient it can’t hold heat.
Sooooo efficient it can't hold heat eh? As an engineer by trade that's a new one to me. Something isn't right if it takes a long time to reach normal operating temperature.

Rented a 2021 Accord with the 1.5. Drove it for a week, mostly long highway trips, gained a quart of oil on the dipstick :eek:

It smelled of gas, and if it were my car, I'd have that oil out of there in a nanosecond. To be replaced with something more robust.
I simply wouldn't buy one of those vehicles ever. Sounds like a huge hassle all around.

I stopped in at HPL in Manteno, IL after D.Ward was kind enough to give me a call regarding some questions I had about their Supercar 0w20 lube. I went ahead and bought a six pack and that will be the next oil that goes in my Honda J35Y6. I was informed that this is the official motor oil of OVERKILL so I had to give it a shot. I have been very happy with HPL Premium Plus 0w-20 so far.

Sooooo efficient it can't hold heat eh? As an engineer by trade that's a new one to me. Something isn't right if it takes a long time to reach normal operating temperature.
What does an engineer have to do with a specific motor in a Honda? Did you design it, do you work for Honda? Are you an engineer that is in the automotive world?

What does an engineer have to do with a specific motor in a Honda? Did you design it, do you work for Honda? Are you an engineer that is in the automotive world?
Yes i'm an engineer hence my trepidation. I worked in "automotive world" as you call it 28yrs in fact for a few Big6 automakers. This scenario is troubling. I'm just being honest. Don't be offended.

Laws of thermodynamics are not an exclusive knowledge to automotive engineers. One doesn’t even need to be an engineer, just someone that paid attention in physics classes, to see that your claims are off.

An average combustion engine is around 30-40% efficient, meaning that 60-70% is a waste energy in the form of heat. Since you made the claim that this Honda engine is so efficient that it can’t hold heat (whatever that means) can you tell us its efficiency and how it affects its ability to produce heat?

Laws of thermodynamics are not an exclusive knowledge to automotive engineers. One doesn’t even need to be an engineer, just someone that paid attention in physics classes, to see that your claims are off.

An average combustion engine is around 30-40% efficient, meaning that 60-70% is a waste energy in the form of heat. Since you made the claim that this Honda engine is so efficient that it can’t hold heat (whatever that means) can you tell us its efficiency and how it affects its ability to produce heat?
It appears here that the problem is uncontrolled heat rejection to the environment through radiation or convection of the block.

It appears here that the problem is uncontrolled heat rejection to the environment through radiation or convection of the block.
Which makes sense given the small displacement. If it has a lot of coolant, it's quite possible for there to be enough heat rejection to cause warm-up and stay-at-temp issues.

Probably, I was thinking along the lines of a constant coolant bypass for the turbocharger or something like that.
In any case, it’s not due to engine efficiency. The problem lies somewhere in the system and how it was designed to operate.

Last edited:

Gave ya the general synopsis that this particular honda engine has possible design flaws..an one doesn't need be an engineer to come to that assumption either.

We are talking about apple and oranges. Completely 2 different engines. The 1.5 is Direct Injected and Turbo. The J35 in the Accord is non turbo and has multi port injection. Direct Injection on other models. I have a 2018 Accord V6 and have no issues with oil burn or fuel dilution. I have almost 100k on the car and no issues. I do not see future issues with this engine as it still runs good and very well maintained. I did not disable the VCM either. I feel it's unnecessary as long as you use good gas (Top Tier) and good oil (one with a lot of Moly). Plus the latest iteration of VCM doesn't have the issues of past generations but to each its own when it comes to disabling VCM. Just my opinion and experience with the car.

The 1.5 is a different animal and it seems Honda is taking awhile to figure out the oil dilution part of these engines. I won't be surprised if they eventually go to a dual injection engines. Turbo GDI engines are know to have issues with carbon build up, oil dilution and oil burn. When it comes to oil, some engines react differently. Honestly I would just do shorter oil change intervals.

We are talking about apple and oranges. Completely 2 different engines. The 1.5 is Direct Injected and Turbo. The J35 in the Accord is non turbo and has multi port injection. Direct Injection on other models. I have a 2018 Accord V6 and have no issues with oil burn or fuel dilution. I have almost 100k on the car and no issues. I do not see future issues with this engine as it still runs good and very well maintained. I did not disable the VCM either. I feel it's unnecessary as long as you use good gas (Top Tier) and good oil (one with a lot of Moly). Plus the latest iteration of VCM doesn't have the issues of past generations but to each its own when it comes to disabling VCM. Just my opinion and experience with the car.

The 1.5 is a different animal and it seems Honda is taking awhile to figure out the oil dilution part of these engines. I won't be surprised if they eventually go to a dual injection engines. Turbo GDI engines are know to have issues with carbon build up, oil dilution and oil burn. When it comes to oil, some engines react differently. Honestly I would just do shorter oil change intervals.

How about Ravenol SFE 5W-20? Basically 0W-20 viscosity range with a lowish VI (little VII?), but higher 2.9 HTHS. Low pourpoint. Low NOAK. Seems like good specs all around to replace the typical ILSAC GF-6A 0W-20. That price though...

Density at 20 °Ckg/m³842,0EN ISO 12185
ColourgelbbraunVISUELL
Colouryellow brownVISUAL
Viscosity at 100 °Cmm²/s8,5DIN 51562-1
Viscosity at 40 °Cmm²/s47,2DIN 51562-1
Viscosity Index VI160DIN ISO 2909
HTHS Viscosity at 150 °CmPa*s2,9ASTM D5481
CCS Viscosity at -30 °CmPa*s3640ASTM D5293
Low Temp. Pumping viscosity (MRV) at -35 °CmPa*s9.700ASTM D4684
Pourpoint°C-63DIN ISO 3016
Noack Volatility% M/M8,3ASTM D5800
Flashpoint°C238DIN EN ISO 2592
tbnmg KOH/g8,0ASTM D2896
Sulphated Ash%m0,8DIN 51575

Nothing resists fuel dilution like a good 10W-20 without any VII to speak of: https://www.hplubricants.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/PC-Engine-Oil-PDS.pdf

1669662661455.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back