Beretta 92 / M-9 .22 L.R. Conversion Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running one of these on their full sized 9 MM Beretta? I ordered one back on the 20th of December, and it finally arrived. I had totally forgotten about it until the UPS truck pulled up yesterday. They shipped it the same day I ordered it. The absolute slowest UPS delivery I ever had. (A full 2 weeks). I'm glad I bought it when I did. They had them on sale for just $239.00, plus another $25.00 for an extra 15 round magazine. ( 10 round models are available for the communist states). It appears they've jacked up the price quite a bit since then.

This fits on both of my Beretta 92's, so I'll take it to the range with my new Wilson Combat Beretta when I go. It looks nicely made. You get the slide, barrel, magazine, and recoil spring guide rod in a nice molded styrofoam cardboard box. They're supposed to run pretty well, and I like the 15 round mag. It also comes with an extra front sight blade to give you more vertical adjustment, should you need it. The only thing I don't care for is the Aluminum slide. But I suppose it's unavoidable. If the slide were made from steel like the 9 MM models, it would most likely be too heavy to function reliably. There are videos on You Tube of these things, and the owners seem to be pretty happy with them. Well see how it goes. Right now I just wish it would warm up around here. 28F this morning. Cold enough to run the pool filter. I don't need any cracked pipes.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-conversion-kit-92-series-15-round-mag-/

I'll be curious to read your review of the conversion. I bought the Beretta M9-22 for my 15 year old daughter as a Christmas gift, she shot about 700 rds through it a couple days after Christmas and really likes it. When I fell she's ready for the 9mm version I'll pick one of those up and keep the 22 for low cost practicing.

IMG_20181125_132733008.jpg

Why would one do this? I have a Taurus PT-92AF that I bought in 91(ish), back when Taurus bought the molds from Beretta, the thing is so heavy that there is very little kick even when shooting +P 9mm. White box winchester is effortless with it. Literally thousands of rounds through that gun and never a FTF or FTE, it is still my favorite hand gun but I can't CCW it in the summer, so I switch to the glock 26 in the summer and carry the 92 in the winter.

Originally Posted by thastinger
Why would one do this?

Because .22 ammo is a fraction of the cost of 9mm?

Originally Posted by emg
Why would one do this?

Yes, but ALSO so are the guns that are dedicated for .22

Heritage Arms sells a cheap copy of a Ruger Single Six for ~$150 ($99 day after thanksgiving sale at Academy)

I would Never, never, EVER spend $400 (right here: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/beretta-m9-22-lr-pistol ) on a dedicated .22 pistol based on a popular 9mm when I can buy 3-4 for the same price

Originally Posted by newbe46
Is the slide much lighter than the 9mm slide? Is the barrel "stationary" like some of the other 22s?

The slide is Aluminum. The barrel functions exactly like a 9 MM. It has a separate barrel, slide, magazine, recoil spring and guide rod. After installing the conversion kit, you have a .22 on a full size 9 MM Aluminum frame. The dedicated Beretta M-9 .22's have a Polymer frame.

They are still 20% off. Thanks for the heads up! A much better rig than a 99 buck single action.

I already have a Ruger single six I got for $65 in 1962. After many thousands of rounds it's a better gun than that Heritage pistol!

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by newbe46
Is the slide much lighter than the 9mm slide? Is the barrel "stationary" like some of the other 22s?

The slide is Aluminum. The barrel functions exactly like a 9 MM. It has a separate barrel, slide, magazine, recoil spring and guide rod. After installing the conversion kit, you have a .22 on a full size 9 MM Aluminum frame. The dedicated Beretta M-9 .22's have a Polymer frame.

Good choice, like minded people meet at the right place. F1 fan, Beretta 92 owner, and oil geek.

I was talking to some of the guys on the Beretta Forum, and a few of them mentioned that slide / frame lubrication is critical on these Beretta .22 Conversion Kits. Because of the Aluminum frame and Aluminum slide bearing against one another. 2 soft similar metals can gall quite easily. One gave a link to this stuff, and said he had very good results with it.

https://www.antiseize.com/zinc-anti-seize-zinc-dust-and-petrolatum-compound-aircraft-grade

It's for Aluminum on Aluminum. I've heard of slide / frame issues on other guns where Aluminum slides on Aluminum frames caused problems. A know several Walther P-22 shooters had problems in this area, along with slides outright cracking. But I never read anything specific concerning what type of lubrication or grease is best for that purpose. Beretta say's nothing in the manual.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by emg
Why would one do this?

Yes, but ALSO so are the guns that are dedicated for .22. Heritage Arms sells a cheap copy of a Ruger Single Six for ~$150 ($99 day after thanksgiving sale at Academy). I would Never, never, EVER spend $400 (right here: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/beretta-m9-22-lr-pistol ) on a dedicated .22 pistol based on a popular 9mm when I can buy 3-4 for the same price

Comparing shooting a 6-shot single action .22 handgun, to a 15 shot semi auto with extra magazines, is really about as much apples and oranges as you can get. I have a Stainless Ruger Single Six .22. It is very well made and accurate. It is also painfully slow to load / shoot / unload / reload. You end up playing with the gun 4 times as much as you do shooting it. It gets old quickly. (And it's one of the reasons Ruger went to the Single 10).

Taking one's time, and shooting at a comfortable pace with an extra magazine, you can get 30 rounds downrange in the same amount of time it would take to get six fired and the cases unloaded with a single action. Not to mention your hands end up getting filthy in minutes.

I was talking to some of the guys on the Beretta Forum, and a few of them mentioned that slide / frame lubrication is critical on these Beretta .22 Conversion Kits. Because of the Aluminum frame and Aluminum slide bearing against one another. 2 soft similar metals can gall quite easily. One gave a link to this stuff, and said he had very good results with it.

https://www.antiseize.com/zinc-anti-seize-zinc-dust-and-petrolatum-compound-aircraft-grade

It's for Aluminum on Aluminum. I've heard of slide / frame issues on other guns where Aluminum slides on Aluminum frames caused problems. A know several Walther P-22 shooters had problems in this area, along with slides outright cracking. But I never read anything specific concerning what type of lubrication or grease is best for that purpose. Beretta say's nothing in the manual.

I can recommend that specific anti seize. I got some for my Aluminum wheeels, figured copper to aluminum wasnt the absolute best choice, though it did work fine. But for the miniscule cost of this Zinc stuff on Amazon, why not?

Save the copper for the Glocks...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I can recommend that specific anti seize. I got some for my Aluminum wheeels, figured copper to aluminum wasnt the absolute best choice, though it did work fine. But for the miniscule cost of this Zinc stuff on Amazon, why not?

I tried to purchase that Zinc Anti Seize at the link I showed. But the company makes it an impossible task. First off, they want over $18.00 shipping for an 8 ounce bottle of the stuff that costs $20.00. Then if that isn't bad enough, they have some stupid "Recaptcha" anti robot song and dance software routine that makes no sense at all. So I can't buy it if I wanted to. I have no idea why companies engage in this type of stupid foolishness. What good is a "anti robot" program if it's so screwed up it won't allow a customer to purchase your product? And UPS Ground shipping shouldn't cost as much as the product.

I tried to purchase that Zinc Anti Seize at the link I showed. But the company makes it an impossible task. First off, they want over $18.00 shipping for an 8 ounce bottle of the stuff that costs $20.00. Then if that isn't bad enough, they have some stupid "Recaptcha" anti robot song and dance software routine that makes no sense at all. So I can't buy it if I wanted to. I have no idea why companies engage in this type of stupid foolishness. What good is a "anti robot" program if it's so screwed up it won't allow a customer to purchase your product? And UPS Ground shipping shouldn't cost as much as the product.

I cant stand that recapcha thing. Im sure were training google or whoever sells that, and theyre monetizing it. If theyre fighting fraud I guess its a service, but how many people are robobuying anti seize? Its not like ticketmaster or something where there's a huge secondary market.

Anyway, try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Seize-T...&sr=8-3&keywords=zinc+anti+seize

All on prime, so youll have it in 2 days...

I cant stand that recapcha thing. Im sure were training google or whoever sells that, and theyre monetizing it. If theyre fighting fraud I guess its a service, but how many people are robobuying anti seize? Its not like ticketmaster or something where there's a huge secondary market.

Anyway, try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Seize-T...&sr=8-3&keywords=zinc+anti+seize

All on prime, so youll have it in 2 days...

Thanks JHZR2. I found that as well. I ordered a jar. This is the only situation I have that will require Zinc, so a 2 oz. jar will more than likely outlast me. I have Aluminum, Copper, and Nickel Anti Seize for all my other applications that require the stuff.

Got my kit last week. These are the "new kit" and possibly improved as to ammo tolerance and function. I put six types of .22 ammo through mine...about 300rds of std velocity, high velocity and hyper velocity. All 100% function with only a very light coat of Mobil 1 5W-30 on slide & frame. FUN!

Mine is going to the range on top of my Beretta 92F this coming Wednesday. We've been getting a lot of rain, plus I've been holding off until I got some Zinc Anti Seize that JHZR2 linked me to on Amazon. It came and I installed the kit after coating the slide rails with it. The fit seems really nice and smooth, and I'm anxious to get it fired up. I'm going to bring a lot of different ammo, as well as both magazines. I'll try to report on how everything went later this coming week.

Early yesterday morning I installed my new Beretta .22 Conversion Kit on my Beretta 92-F, and headed to the range. The unit performed flawlessly. I gave the slide a good lubrication with the Zinc Anti Seize I purchased from the Amazon link JHZR2 provided. The stuff was quite thick, so I added a couple of drops of Weapon Shield Oil. Both 15 round magazines fed fine, without any jams or stovepipes.

These magazines have nice thumb tab on them to depress the follower, which allows for effortless loading. (I wish Beretta would have done the same on their .22 Cheetah and Model 87 Target magazines. They are all but impossible to load without a magloader). I shot a variety of ammo, that consisted of Winchester Super-X, Remington "Golden Bullets", Federal bulk High Velocity, (both solid and hollow point). And even a couple of boxes of CCI Standard Velocity thrown in for good measure.

All ran well. The sights printed a bit high, but nothing a generous 6 O'clock hold didn't take care of. Windage was dead on. All total I would guess I ran around 300 to 350 rounds through it. When I got it home it was quite dirty. But after a good wet cleaning I examined the slide and found no excessive wear, or any type of battering or peening. I was concerned about this because of the Aluminum slide. These are really nice, well made conversion kits. And I would recommend them to anyone who has a Beretta 92 / M-9 pistol. No complaints at all. Except it would have been nice if they charged a couple of bucks more, and put it in a nice fitted, molded plastic case, like the Beretta pistols come in. Instead of a cardboard box. But that's a minor complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back