Bent Rim - 19" to 17"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had my tires rotated today and the tech says that the RF wheel (now RR) is slightly bent. These are the stock 19" wheels with the 225/45R19 tires that came on the car. The obvious thing to do it replace the wheel.

There is not a lot of tread left on the tires, so I'll probably be replacing them pretty soon.

I am thinking that since the bend in the rim is not too extreme (tech saw it when spinning - didn't notice it driving/steering when it was on front) and the wheel is now on the back, I will just drive it until it is time to replace the tires.

Any reason not to do this? Should be safe, right? Odd tread wear won't matter, as tires will be replaced anyway.

This got me thinking. I've never bent a rim before, and I've been careful with these 19's. There was one pothole... Also these tires are expensive!
So here's a thought: when it is time for new tires, replace the 19" wheels with 17's. Tires will be cheaper, less chance of bent rims, more "comfortable" ride, but "worse" handling (?).

I am probably over-thinking this and should just buy the [censored] wheel, but... thoughts?

Replace the damaged wheel or do the full swap?

Originally Posted by 2016Accord
So here's a thought: when it is time for new tires, replace the 19" wheels with 17's. Tires will be cheaper, less chance of bent rims, more "comfortable" ride, but "worse" handling (?).
If roads in your area are rough, I think this is a good approach. 225/55/17 tires will be less expensive and offer a lot more protection to the rims. It's a fairly popular size. I think handling should still be OK, depending on a particular tire model you end up going with.

If you aren't getting a vibration or funny tire wear, I'd wait until it's time for new tires. Then have a different shop look at it for a different perspective.

Over size wheels are a pet peeve of mine. They are an affectation. In the same category as a monster truck mall crawler . The best wheels are the ones that barely clear the brake hard ware. The best tires are ones that will give the stock diameter for that wheel. Anything else is working against the utility of the vehicle. Back in the stone age, dinged wheels were hammer and touch up paint .Don't even get me started on plastic headlights.
grin2.gif

This is the first bent wheel you were told about. A lot of tire techs silently just put them in the rear.

Your idea to switch all four to a smaller size is good, though. Imagine a Conestoga wagon owner being told he can replace his metal barrel hoop with inflatable rubber balloons. He'd be delighted!

Have the bent wheel repaired ?
Going to 17" will provide a better ride and within 2 sets of 17 vs 19 tires purchased or will practically pay for the wheels

I agree with the other replies - I'd want to go down at least one inch to an 18" wheel, and preferably to a 17" as long as it clears the brake calipers OK.

45 profile is way too harsh for me, and hard on the suspension too. And, with a sidewall that short, it's very hard to spot a low tire visually.

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/225-45R19.htm
225/45-19 O.D. = 27.0"
Revolutions/mile = 748 (assumed speedometer/odometer error = 0)

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/225-60R17.htm
225/60-17 O.D. = 27.6"
Revolutions/mile = 730 (calculated speedometer error: speedo will read 2.4% low)
This is too much error for me.

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/225-55R17.htm
225/55-17 O.D. = 26.7"
Revolutions/mile = 754 (calculated speedometer error: speedo will read 0.8% high)

I'd go with the 225/55-17ers as they were an original size for the base 2016 Mazda 6. In fact, this size will likely yield closer to 0% speedometer error than the optional 19"ers your car is equipped with.

I went through similar with our 2009 Mazda 5 a few months ago, for the 3-season tires - went from the optional (but factory-equipped) 50-profile 17"ers to 55-profile 16"ers. The 16"ers were the base size that year. Noticed a big improvement in ride, with no detectable trade-off in handling. Got used Mazda alloy wheels from the wrecker. Was already running 16" steelies with the winter tires.

Originally Posted by andyd
Over size wheels are a pet peeve of mine. They are an affectation. In the same category as a monster truck mall crawler . The best wheels are the ones that barely clear the brake hard ware. The best tires are ones that will give the stock diameter for that wheel. Anything else is working against the utility of the vehicle. Back in the stone age, dinged wheels were hammer and touch up paint .Don't even get me started on plastic headlights.
grin2.gif

Agreed!

Originally Posted by 2016Accord
So I had my tires rotated today and the tech says that the RF wheel (now RR) is slightly bent. These are the stock 19" wheels with the 225/45R19 tires that came on the car. The obvious thing to do it replace the wheel.

There is not a lot of tread left on the tires, so I'll probably be replacing them pretty soon.

I am thinking that since the bend in the rim is not too extreme (tech saw it when spinning - didn't notice it driving/steering when it was on front) and the wheel is now on the back, I will just drive it until it is time to replace the tires.

Any reason not to do this? Should be safe, right? Odd tread wear won't matter, as tires will be replaced anyway.

This got me thinking. I've never bent a rim before, and I've been careful with these 19's. There was one pothole... Also these tires are expensive!

I am probably over-thinking this and should just buy the [censored] wheel, but... thoughts?

Replace the damaged wheel or do the full swap?

No way man. The 19" wheels are beautiful

Never heard of big wheels improving handling, maybe wider wheels can give you more grip but it's not like wheel width has increased at that same rate that diameter has. I remember from reading car mags when I was a kid that unsprung weight = 4x sprung weight.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Never heard of big wheels improving handling,
Big wheels alone do not improve handling, but big wheels result in having to use tires with shorter sidewalls. The less tire sidewall there is, the quicker the steering response, which is what I believe the OP meant by "handling".

If this is for your Mazda 6, you can even go down to 16 with no problems
smile.gif

I looked on Tire Rack, and I saw the Radius brand wheels at a good price and made in Italy. The tire size TR recommends is 225/60-16

Get 16-inch Radius wheels from TR and Vredestein Ultrac Satin tires in the size 225/60-16 from Vulcan Tire. You probably don't need all-season tires in Texas.

The good news is that your Mazda6 has indirect TPMS, so you don't have to buy expensive sensors
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If this is for your Mazda 6, you can even go down to 16 with no problems
smile.gif

I looked on Tire Rack, and I saw the Radius brand wheels at a good price and made in Italy. The tire size TR recommends is 225/60-16

Get 16-inch Radius wheels from TR and Vredestein Ultrac Satin tires in the size 225/60-16 from Vulcan Tire. You probably don't need all-season tires in Texas.

The good news is that your Mazda6 has indirect TPMS, so you don't have to buy expensive sensors
happy2.gif

I'd rock steelies before an off brand aftermarket wheel. Especially ones off of Tirerack that everyone will immediately recognize as being from Tirerack.

Originally Posted by Number_35
I'd go with the 225/55-17ers as they were an original size for the base 2016 Mazda 6. In fact, this size will likely yield closer to 0% speedometer error than the optional 19"ers your car is equipped with.
Find a set of OEM 16s, or post an add to trade your set of OEM 19s for a set of the OEM 16s. I have to assume someone would take you up on that if you live in a populated area.

Find a set of OEM 16s, or post an add to trade your set of OEM 19s for a set of the OEM 16s.
There are no OEM 16s for this car, AFAIK.

I'd rock steelies before an off brand aftermarket wheel. Especially ones off of Tirerack that everyone will immediately recognize as being from Tirerack.

Absolutely nobody will care that you bought your wheels from Tire Rack
smirk2.gif

The Radius wheels I mentioned are made in Italy and have JWL certification and look reasonably stock-looking, and TR is one of the better places to get wheels from. That said, there is certainly nothing wrong with steelies, especially without wheel covers
smile.gif

This doesn't look too bad, does it?
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by E150GT
No way man. The 19" wheels are beautiful

Yeah, I do think these look great on the car. Mazda has been doing a great job with design. Their current lineup look great.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
How's the availability of Honda OEM 17" takeoffs on your local Craigslist? Might get wheels & tires for the price of new wheels.

That's a good idea. I'll take a look!

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Never heard of big wheels improving handling,
Big wheels alone do not improve handling, but big wheels result in having to use tires with shorter sidewalls. The less tire sidewall there is, the quicker the steering response, which is what I believe the OP meant by "handling".

Sorry, I wasn't very precise in my language. You are correct. I was really thinking about differences in sidewall height. I was thinking that for a given outer diameter, a smaller wheel makes for a taller sidewall. Based on limited past experience, and as I understand it, taller sidewall = different feel for steering and cornering. As I understand it, a taller sidewall with more flex can be faster off the line, but sees more stress and movement when cornering. This isn't a racecar, so I'm not all that concerned about it, but I do like the current driving dynamics/feel of the car and don't want change them much. As a couple of folks have mentioned, the Sport trim of this vehicle came with 17" wheels, and I would want to go to something close to that to keep it close to design spec. whatever that's worth. As Number_35 put it so well:
Originally Posted by Number_35

Lots of great comments and suggestions here, thanks y'all! My current plan is to price out some of these options and drive these tires to their end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back