Belt Driven Oil Pump in Ford 2.7EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of newer engine designs use a variable output oil pump. Maybe there is something about that technology that requires it to be outside the engine rather than down in the sump

The new duramax inline 6 3.0 has an oil pump belt too. A bit scary but probably no real issue long term.

Toyota, Mitsu/Hyundai and a few others have used the timing belt to drive the oil pump. It's a fairly common practice to have a chain or belt drive an oil pump if it's not driven off the crank snout or a spur shaft off the cam.

Originally Posted by atikovi
It's not like the timing belt on an interference engine where if the belt breaks there is damage instantly. You probably have 30 seconds to a minute to pull over and shut it down.

It depends on how much power the engine is making when the oil pump stops turning. I know from sad experience that a $75,000 marine engine has about 3 seconds to live when the oil pump stops turning at full power. And the oil pump drive is more likely to break when it is heavily loaded, so chances are low that it will break at idle.

Last edited:
What was the ad from 20 or 30 years ago where they added some treatment to the oil for a few miles, then drained the oil and drove the car around a race track without any engine damage?

It's not like the timing belt on an interference engine where if the belt breaks there is damage instantly. You probably have 30 seconds to a minute to pull over and shut it down.

An engine under load would have much less than 30 seconds before critical components would be compromised.

What was the ad from 20 or 30 years ago where they added some treatment to the oil for a few miles, then drained the oil and drove the car around a race track without any engine damage?

Slick 50
smile.gif

I was thinking that maybe you were referring to a Mobile 1 commercial.

Back in 1998, I had a 1987 Nissan Maxima id bought from a schoolteacher. 3.0L, 12-valve, 5-speed. Cool little car.

This was when I was 18 and wasn't doing my own oil changes yet, but I'd usually go buy Mobil 1, along with Slick 50 or Duralube and take it to an oil change place and have them change it.

Well, one time, when I left, the car started knocking. I drove home and told my Dad, and he told me to take it up to Firestone and have them look at it. Dad wasn't a "car guy", and neither of us put 2 and 2 together.

Anyway, Dad followed me to Firestone. We dropped it off and told them about it. We got home, and, a short time later, they called and told me that the oil drain plug was missing and it had no oil in it. Said they replaced the drain plug, filled it with oil, and started it, and it quit knocking.

The car had been driven about 4 miles with zero oil.

It ran great for the next few years that I owned it, and I finally sold it to a guy. It ran fine when I sold it.

Was it the Duralube/Slick 50 that I had put in for several oil changes? I don't know. All I know is that it didn't lock up!

I think Duralube had some similar ads with that type of claim.
I remember the Duralube ads playing on closed-circuit TV at Canadian Tire in the mid-'90s.

The ads starred astronaut Pete Conrad, who died in a motorcycle crash a few years later.

Let's keep the conversation to one place; take the talk over to the thread above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back