Bel-Ray GK-2 vs. Motul Grand Prix, ingredients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awi

Hi!

I've been trying to find out what's what in 2T ester oils.

I'm driving kz2 kart (tm k9c) and trying to decide if it's worth to invest to best 2T lubricants, and if so, which one would be the best.

So far it seems, that ester based are way to go. Castor based could be good too (Silkolene K2R..?), but I'm afraid of piston ring sticking. For availability point of view in here, valid options are Motul oils (Kart Racing, Grand Prix, 800 Offroad and 800 Road&Racing) and Bel-Ray's (H1-R and GK-2). There's few others, but Motuls and Bel-Ray's are having good reputation and lot of people are recommending them.

Does anyone have any insight, if there's any major difference in oils mentioned? Does anyone know what thay're containing; "ester based" is not really defining, are the 2T esters generally speaking all TMP Polyol esters? Is there any significant additives used?

Three of those oils, GK-2, Kart Racing and Grand Prix are CIK/FIA approved so I'm propably gonna use on of them, which one would you prefere?

K9C is quite basic but powerful 125cc engine, revving 14000 and having 45hp without variable exhaust or other rings and bells. Lower cage is the main problem, would you say that I can extend its life span with good oil? Littlebit smaller problem is piston and nikasil sylinder wear. I'm quite sure that good oil will help with that.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.. :)

I might get flamed on this one, but I say buy the cheapest quality 2 stroke oil you can find that fit your needs.

The reason being is that you will need to replace rings occasionally and hone your cylinder from time to time.

If you are doing that yourself, stick with a specific type of oil see how it looks when you tear it down, try another oil snad do the same. See how long you can go between rebuilds and what kind of wear and build between oils.

Hi,

That might be true with traditional cylinder, but this is coated, so honing would ruin it..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back