Beginners advice on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought. I installed the 64 bit OS and it worked, I'm doing updates etc. now. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Xfce, it is probably a little bit lighter on resources than MATE, and in my opinion looks a lot nicer. A lot less reliance on GNOME as well. Linuxmint Xfce edition or Xubuntu would be great distros to start out on Linux in. Xfce has kind of an improved XP feel to it, like what Windows Longhorn should have been, not the abomination that Vista was.

Seeing how old the OP's laptop is, 32 bit is probably the better option, as it doesn't have very much RAM. However, 32 bit support is being dropped rapidly, Chrome browser on Linux and the new OpenSUSE distro no longer support it, among others.

Another reason to use 64 bit if you have the hardware is the NX bit. NX bit support is now built into the Linux kernel, it limits privilege escalation just like Windows, making the system that much more secure.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Where is a easy entry point for a computer knowledgeable beginner.

https://elementary.io/
pUXRPqp.png

Manjaro is another great Linux distro for beginners. All versions are really slick looking and nicely polished, really well put together. The 32 bit Xfce edition just flies on old underspecced machines.

The only drawback would be that it is somewhat less stable than Ubuntu or Mint, updates usually break it after a year or less if your hardware isn't strictly vanilla.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
According to Intel, the E2200 cpu supports 64 bit, so you should be good to go.

32 bit, 64 bit - it means it can support both modes.

The 64 bit version is up, running, backed up, and tweaked. I didn't notice any difference, but it gives me a few more years out of this old PC. LOL If it works well after a few days with the tweaks, I'll back it up again.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Xfce, it is probably a little bit lighter on resources than MATE, and in my opinion looks a lot nicer. A lot less reliance on GNOME as well. Linuxmint Xfce edition or Xubuntu would be great distros to start out on Linux in. Xfce has kind of an improved XP feel to it, like what Windows Longhorn should have been, not the abomination that Vista was.

Seeing how old the OP's laptop is, 32 bit is probably the better option, as it doesn't have very much RAM. However, 32 bit support is being dropped rapidly, Chrome browser on Linux and the new OpenSUSE distro no longer support it, among others.

Another reason to use 64 bit if you have the hardware is the NX bit. NX bit support is now built into the Linux kernel, it limits privilege escalation just like Windows, making the system that much more secure.

First page.
wink.gif

Backup all important files etc from windows. Install your flavor of linux over the Windows partition. Run a VM of a Win 10/8/7 iso and load your files onto it.

Just my 2 cents.

I only use Windows for Office applications (Word, Excel, Publisher) so no need for me, at least, to have a whole partition dedicated to it.

Great post, something I have wanted to do so I made a bootable USB with Linux Mint Cinnamon x64, and put it on a partition on my desktop. Took about 90 minutes total and I was working my way around the site. Looking forward to exploring this system I've read about but never explored and the advice on this post was very helpful. Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Most of my linux installs have no gui but when I do need one I use Xfce. It is by far my favorite linux gui, but I run most of my installs headless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
32 bit Mint xfce.

I started with Mint, have tried Ubuntu. I just coming back to Mint Xfce. It flies on the machines I install it on. Right now running 64 bit version, but was running 32 bit.

It is easy for me to keep my files organized. I have found when new versions come out it can be a little unstable after updates. So I will be keeping 17.3 version for a while. It has been very stable lately.

My favourite version of Windows is XP. Mint Xfce reminds me of XP. A work horse without the bling.

Did you try Xubuntu? That is Ubuntu with XFCE. It has better support and is more up to date than Mint XFCE. All Mint does is take older ubuntu versions and support them. The only downside to Xubuntu/ubuntu distros compared to mint is you'll get more updates regularly. Some like that. Some don't.

I'm a puter dummy !!
OK.....I downloaded and burned a dvd, installed mint 18 mate 32 bit on a Dell desktop which had Windows 7. I installed mate over Windows 7, so just the mint is the only op system.....all went well in the install( I think !!).
Well hummmm, seems like everything loaded , but the puter freezes and locks up and then I gotta hold the power button in to shut down , then reboot .....then the same freeze happens shortly?!?
Mouse pointer freezes , some times no.....key board freezes also.
I shrug my shoulders....whats up with this ?
Thanks for any insight.....BOB

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Did you try Xubuntu? That is Ubuntu with XFCE. It has better support and is more up to date than Mint XFCE. All Mint does is take older ubuntu versions and support them. The only downside to Xubuntu/ubuntu distros compared to mint is you'll get more updates regularly. Some like that. Some don't.

Tried Xubuntu. Did not like it at all. Was less intuitive and user friendly for me. Maybe I just like older. Maybe I am becoming an old timer since I do not like new fandangled do dads.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: N3OO
I'm a puter dummy !!
OK.....I downloaded and burned a dvd, installed mint 18 mate 32 bit on a Dell desktop which had Windows 7. I installed mate over Windows 7, so just the mint is the only op system.....all went well in the install( I think !!).
Well hummmm, seems like everything loaded , but the puter freezes and locks up and then I gotta hold the power button in to shut down , then reboot .....then the same freeze happens shortly?!?
Mouse pointer freezes , some times no.....key board freezes also.
I shrug my shoulders....whats up with this ?
Thanks for any insight.....BOB

You are not alone. You may want to try version 17.3 until issue is resolved.

Linux Mint 18 freeze after first restart

could be hardware/memory problem...clean the fans???

oops, I didnt have ant issues with 18. yep better go with an older lts distro

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Tried Xubuntu. Did not like it at all. Was less intuitive and user friendly for me. Maybe I just like older. Maybe I am becoming an old timer since I do not like new fandangled do dads.
smile.gif

How can you like Mint XFCE and not Xubuntu? They both have the XFCE desktop. They look the same. They behave the same. The differences lie in software repository apps and kernels.

The differences lie in software repository apps and kernels.

I am pretty sure Mint uses Ubuntu's repositories (and therefore kernel) directly, too. There really isn't much to Mint that isn't Ubuntu aside from the cosmetics and some small utilities and policies. I suppose Mint chooses different default applications but they're all there in the same (Ubuntu) repositories.

XFCE struck me as darn near identical on both. I like XFCE a lot; but it isn't polished or refined enough, in my opinion, to suggest to new users. The smaller user base also makes support harder to come by.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
The differences lie in software repository apps and kernels.

I am pretty sure Mint uses Ubuntu's repositories (and therefore kernel) directly, too. There really isn't much to Mint that isn't Ubuntu aside from the cosmetics and some small utilities and policies. I suppose Mint chooses different default applications but they're all there in the same (Ubuntu) repositories.

XFCE struck me as darn near identical on both. I like XFCE a lot; but it isn't polished or refined enough, in my opinion, to suggest to new users. The smaller user base also makes support harder to come by.

Repository apps, not repositories. Mint has its own software app that lets your browse the repositories.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back