Beginner tool Set

My god-son is getting his first car soon and I'd like to get him a quality tool set that he can carry in the vehicle with him. I considered making up a set but would prefer to buy him a set that's already assembled. I thought about a Craftsman set but I've read the quality is way down recently. Any suggestions on sets I should consider? Budget is around $200.00

Thanks

This channelock set does not look bad, get some screwdrivers to go with it. Some times you can still find made in usa nos craftsman screwdrivers on ebay.

How handy is he? I'm wondering if a gas card or AAA membership is better spent money...

I like keeping a cheapo set in my vehicles, but I'm not expecting to do much when I'm not home.

If he was really handy he would already have a bunch of tools. I say a car emergency kit containing a few tools, first aid, jumper cable, flares, flashlight, tow strap, gloves.

Not too many people are fixing cars on the road. They get towed and repaired. To repair a car means tools, parts, knowledge, possibly a OBDII scan tool.

I carry two parts for my truck. A serpentine belt and exhaust gas temp sensor. Even if I don't have the tools to replace the parts I have, a local mechanic could install either quickly.

This channelock set does not look bad, get some screwdrivers to go with it. Some times you can still find made in usa nos craftsman screwdrivers on ebay.

That looks okay for the money. (y)

How handy is he? I'm wondering if a gas card or AAA membership is better spent money...

I like keeping a cheapo set in my vehicles, but I'm not expecting to do much when I'm not home.
I thought the same thing but as I owe him a graduation gift, I thought a tool set would be nice. Maybe with a set of tools he'll learn to do some work on this own vehicle.

My god-son is getting his first car soon and I'd like to get him a quality tool set that he can carry in the vehicle with him. I considered making up a set but would prefer to buy him a set that's already assembled. I thought about a Craftsman set but I've read the quality is way down recently. Any suggestions on sets I should consider? Budget is around $200.00

Thanks
I personally like the new Craftsman tools. For 4 impact wrench (or a 3/8" torque wrench).

Tools:

Impact wrench:

Craftsman can't compare to Snap On or similar, but IME they perform at least as well as similarly priced options. In some cases they perform better (I recently posted my experience with Craftsman vs Husky combination wrench...Husky could not do the job but Craftsman had no problem).

I'd say if it's his first car, get him First Aid kit, make sure he has jumper cables, jack and a spare and air compressor, gloves, rugs, and teach him changing a tire or two... gauge his interest in DIY and go from there...

I'd have a look at Tekton's website and see what you can put together there. They have some nice tools for decent prices.

I agree. Maybe some wax and cleaning stuff would be better than tools. Or spend time with him teaching him about cars. An oil change and some PM that the car might need. Teach him how to do stuff if he's inclined to learn.

I'd have a look at Tekton's website and see what you can put together there. They have some nice tools for decent prices.

Tekton is nice stuff. I have an older made in the USA Craftsman set that I've been rounding out with Tekton tools. I've been hearing a lot about how inferior the new Craftsman stuff is so I'd probably not look to hard at that.

You can get the full no skip Tekton 3/8" socket set for $125 which comes with a ratchet and breaker bar, and the 1/4" set for an additional $55

If you order from the Tekton website, you get 10% back and free shipping...

I can't imagine there being much that he couldn't get done with those two sets...and then he can add wrenches as time goes

Tekton is nice stuff. I have an older made in the USA Craftsman set that I've been rounding out with Tekton tools. I've been hearing a lot about how inferior the new Craftsman stuff is so I'd probably not look to hard at that.

You can get the full no skip Tekton 3/8" socket set for $125 which comes with a ratchet and breaker bar, and the 1/4" set for an additional $55

If you order from the Tekton website, you get 10% back and free shipping...

I can't imagine there being much that he couldn't get done with those two sets...and then he can add wrenches as time goes
Exactly what I was thinking. IMO they have some nice tools for the money, and ordering directly from them seems like a win win. Way better tools than HF and Craftsman imo.

I don't have much experience with Tekton. I'll check them out. thanks

Tekton is decent stuff, I bought a couple of things from them and cant say anything bad about the quality. Another brand that has come a long way is Capri, they make a decent tool for a good price.
I bought the thin open end wrenches for around $50, not have rounded out or slipped and have been very useful in some tight spots.

15 or so years ago it was easy - Craftsman was always a great choice for U.S. made value, quality level, and convenience. Whatever brand you choose, the Craftsman set above is a great example of not too many "filler" pieces and reduced redundancy of duplicate 12 point and 6 point sockets. That set with a few more pieces (screwdrivers, pliers,etc.) would be a good starter system.

Supposedly, Stanley is building a new plant to bring some of the Craftsman mfg. back to the U.S.. Lets hope so. https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.c...-opening-new-craftsman-plant-fort-worth-texas

There are many dozens of threads on this topic at the garagejournal forum tools section. Good luck. Lots of different angles on this topic.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to grab a decent deal on a Craftsman set. It's a great way to start with an array of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 ratchets/sockets without breaking the bank. And the quality is decent if not professional-level.

Add or upgrade pieces down the road as-needed.

DONT rely on Craftsman or Lowes. Both have horrible warranties now. The local Lowe's will not warranty their Kobalt nor will they warranty Craftsman. To warranty Craftsman and Kobalt, they push you to the toll free numbers which is another black hole.

However the good news is HomeDepot has great customer service with their Husky brand. Easy warranty exchange in store. If they don't have the item they will substitute a similar item. Plus, Husky has reasonable single pieces. If you loose sockets they aren't over price like the current low grade Craftsman.

Reactions: JC1
https://www.samsclub.com/p/channel-lock-mechanics-set-200pc/prod23222413 $90

Back