Beginner tool Set

I am a professional mechanic and I have split many of the new Stanley made Craftsman I recommend Kobalt from Lowe’s they make great little socket and ratchet kits and sometimes they have screwdrivers and wrenches with them also. They are pricey but believe me I have never split one they are Taiwan made except the pliers that is the only thing they have made in China. Also the Channellock set like everyone has mentioned my friend got that set from Sam’s Club for his truck and it works just fine and Channellock is a good brand anyway.

DONT rely on Craftsman or Lowes. Both have horrible warranties now. The local Lowe's will not warranty their Kobalt nor will they warranty Craftsman. To warranty Craftsman and Kobalt, they push you to the toll free numbers which is another black hole.

However the good news is HomeDepot has great customer service with their Husky brand. Easy warranty exchange in store. If they don't have the item they will substitute a similar item. Plus, Husky has reasonable single pieces. If you loose sockets they aren't over price like the current low grade Craftsman.
In my area it’s the exact opposite lol Lowe’s will warranty either one I haven’t ever broke a Kobalt tool but know people who have and I have broke lots of the China Craftsman and warrantied just fine now Husky I cracked a 30mm socket from trying to break loose an axle nut and they wouldn’t warranty it and gave me the phone number to call.

If it were me, I would base it on what his mechanical leanings are.
Mainly because I hate cheap tools. I mean I HATE cheap tools.
If he has no interest, then Harbor Freight. By the way, I like their Pro ratchets. I have 3.
If he has interest, then perhaps Tekton makes sense. I like their ratchet wrenches!
If he really shows interest, bite the bullet and start with a Snap On ratchet set.

You know, maybe Craigslist or local yard sale? Good luck.

Buy a good set spend the $$, he is young and a good set will last a lifetime

I can vouch for the set, I've had it over a year and paid around the same. Made in Taiwan. The socket and ratchets are good quality CR-V. The combination wrenches aren't that great. I like the set because the 1/2 and 3/8 are all 6 point.

Tekton is decent stuff, I bought a couple of things from them and cant say anything bad about the quality. Another brand that has come a long way is Capri, they make a decent tool for a good price.
I bought the thin open end wrenches for around $50, not have rounded out or slipped and have been very useful in some tight spots.

I bought their socket set in a case for $35 from Home Depot SAE and metric. Pretty sure I saw the deal here and it was a birthday gift to myself. Lol. No skipped sizes. All sockets are 6 point. It’s my barn/ junkyard set and has been through quite a bit of abuse. No complaints whatsoever.

Dad was pretty mad at me for buying it. Said next time I find a deal that good to just go ahead and get him one too. Lol.

Anyone have anything good to say about Harbor Freights Icon “tool truck” line?

You can get a full set of wrenches for about $80 with a coupon. Made in Taiwan. Warranty exchange if needed would be a piece of cake.

Seems like all the tool kits come with a assortment of SAE and metric sockets and wrenches. I have a million SAE tools and don’t need more. Any packaged carry in the vehicle type tool sets that are metric only?

Maybe take a list of what you want in the tool kit and go to a pawn shop. Might be able to get some name brand good tools at a discounted price. Yes they are used, but may get some good quality items for a good price... Plus with the lovely COVID junk happening, they may be wanting to deal more since business is probably less than normal.

If you don't know what tools he has then get him an Amazon, Lowes or Home Depot gift card so he can pick them out, but as others stated I don't think the plan to have tools in the vehicle is practical, that someone without tools (yet) isn't someone who is likely to use them stranded on the side of the road, nor would most of us even though we have all the tools we need, still wouldn't be carrying every possible tool to do the myriad things that repairs could entail.

In this price range, Tekton tools are fantastic. I have a lot of their tools and really have nothing bad to say. Their ratchets and sockets are high quality, made in Taiwan. Screwdrivers are made in USA and are also very good. Pricing on their website is fair, and includes shipping. Individual pieces are available for just about everything, so any lost pieces could be easily replaced.
I can also say that their customer service is second to none.
I'll also note that Tekton tools tend to get really good reviews online, which seems to point to their quality.

Back