been use 20w50 wat weight for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mustang oil for 5w30 and maximum weight is 10w40, I either have bad ring or bad valve steam seal, because if my car run hot and idle at trafic, it will blow a smoke out tail pipe, that y im running 20w50 castrol gtx high miles. since its winter now, i can felt it the car is kinda slug when first start, I want to change to something lighter. What oil would you recomment ? is 10w40 max life sound good ?

10w40 max life sounds great.

If you like gtx himile so much why don't you just get that in the 10w40 variety?

Ok well i guess ML is a syn. blend than that would make sense. Have you tried using a 5w30 oil, just to see how much it consumes?

Valve stem seals aren't that expensive or difficult, then you can do new valve springs to while your in there. Probably spend less than 70 bucks doing the whole deal.

Is your car a 5.0?

It does sound like seals but i would do a compression test to see if you broke something. try the max life first.

I say run your 10w40 Pennzoil High Mileage. Its blended to be on the thicker side of 40 weight, but it will allow you to start the car easier than with 20w50.

It has seal conditoners which may help if its dried out valve seals. If that does not help, you could run some GTX 20w50 and substitute a quart for some Marvels Mystery Oil to possibly help clean out the rings.

Originally Posted By: killagt
My mustang oil for 5w30 and maximum weight is 10w40, I either have bad ring or bad valve steam seal, because if my car run hot and idle at trafic, it will blow a smoke out tail pipe, that y im running 20w50 castrol gtx high miles. since its winter now, i can felt it the car is kinda slug when first start, I want to change to something lighter. What oil would you recomment ? is 10w40 max life sound good ?

wow thats a tuff read. maybe try some punctuation and proof/prereading before posting? I had to read it 4x.

whats the temperature where you are at?
modern Dino- oil is usually RECOMMENDED at
temps no lower than.
10w40= 0F
15w40= 10F
20w50= 20F

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

wow thats a tuff read. maybe try some punctuation and proof/prereading before posting? I had to read it 4x.

That's not cool. Why discourage people from posting? Let him get his feet wet.

If you can't say something nice...

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Originally Posted By: Rand

That's not cool. Why discourage people from posting? Let him get his feet wet.

If you can't say something nice...

Eh,whatever..I'mnotc llingim names Iwas encoraging himto proofead before hitingpostm.

and he registered 30 monthes ago and has 300 posts.. I'd say thats wet feet by now.. or some really good mud boots.

Last edited:
I would also have to agree with using 15W40 Rotella, thats stuff is amazing. Kept my very first car running for years with a bad knock and failing valve train, '87 Cadillac HT4100, anyone that knows about cadillac will tell you how it was one of the worst motors every built by GM

If you plan to wipe out your heads / cam, continue to run the thick oil. Spend the money and get new valve seals installed. If you can rent the valve spring tool, it will not cost you much at all.

4.6l 98 mustang gt

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
If you plan to wipe out your heads / cam, continue to run the thick oil. Spend the money and get new valve seals installed. If you can rent the valve spring tool, it will not cost you much at all.

4.6l 98 mustang gt

hi, what do you mean by wipe out ? its bad ?

The ford modulars (4.6L, 5.4L, 6,8L V10) are all the same design and work well with 5w-20 & 5w-30 oils. Running thick oils in these engines delay proper lubrication to the top end. Unless you have excess blowby out your PCV valve hole your problem sounds like simple valve seal failure. This job can cost a lot if you have a dealer do it, but doing it with some friends may not be so bad. Parts are only like $50 for gaskets and seals. And then the tool is like $300 but I think you can rent one.

Rather than use oil to cover up your problem and create a bigger problem, just get it fixed and use the correct oil.

My 91' lincoln does the same thing and I continue to use 5w-30. It is not worth fixing as the rest of the car is junky.

thanks alot, I have about over 20 quart of 10w30 of Exxon super flow i bought 1 dollar a quart at auto zone back then. Let see how its run. btw I change oil less then under 1 month, should I reuse the oil filter or get new one ? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back