Beating Up A Snapper Push Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a previous post, I mentioned how I was able to get an older (90s i think) 4hp Snapper push mower going. Runs like a dream now.

Up in VT and cutting the "lawn" which ranges from a few inches, to mid-shin.... The mower fights through but it's struggling at times. I haven t stalled it out yet, however, so I'm helping it along.

Drinking up oil like there's no tomorrow, and I'm nearly out of the SAE30 qt I found in the basement

2 questions:

* Would putting the mower through this "torture" cause increased oil consumption?
* Should I stick with the SAE30 or would Rotella be a better choice? If so, which?

Maybe I've exaggerated a bit. I am putting the mower through its paces but I'm going slowly where necessary and, like I said, I haven't bogged it down. But to call this a lawn...? About 30 years ago, we used it for hay so it's tough stuff and gets cut maybe 3 times a year

Oh... And the oil I am using? Parts Plus API SG... how old it this stuff?

I have pic of the bottle but can't figure out how to post

21.gif
crazy2.gif
10.gif

30wt or else a 40wt or 20w-50 would be good. The NOACK on those are lower, fwiw.

Just see what works and is cheap (ST). And check your plug.

Time to repower?

What is the blade like? If its original its no wonder it's struggling. Get a new blade see if that takes the load off the engine as well as the stuff about bring the engine power back

Wow... Never even thought of the plug - good call. Installed new spring of 2013 but I've never worked a lawn mower like this before so a $5 investment makes perfect sense

Almost picked up a blade this evening... Home Depot had a 22" no name reduced from $16 to $4 and change. Did a quick refresher on the Snapper blade only realize i need a 21"

The 21" remained at $16.

LOL.. That p'd me off so I didn't get it. If I make it up one more time before it gets too cold, I hope to remember to bring my dremel and I'll give the blade a once over. I'm sure it needs it - as Bubba mentioned I'm using it more as a brush hog than lawn mower. And very impressed with its performance as such i might add

Thanks for the feedback all

--bob

Same reason why many don't cut rotors anynore. New blades are relatively cheap. Resharpening only makes sense if you already have all the resharpening tools already and the time. If you do this once every 5 years, just buy a new blade

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Same reason why many don't cut rotors anynore. New blades are relatively cheap. Resharpening only makes sense if you already have all the resharpening tools already and the time. If you do this once every 5 years, just buy a new blade

We don't cut rotors anymore, because they are not thick enough in most cases to meet spec afterwards. Mower blades have plenty of metal. No difference in a new blade and a properly sharpened one. Once in five years? Only if you are mowing a postage stamp. A grinder can be had for $ 20.

Last edited:
You wont find a Snapper blade at home depot. Also, universal, fits everything" blades wont fit either.

Believe it or not you can get a new Snapper blade on Amazon or eBay for under $20.

Changed the oil with new Super Tech SAE30

New plug... Old one looked fine but for a couple bucks, why not?

Sharpened the blade... Was about as sharp as my forearm

Cleared off the bottom of the deck

... Just in time for the rain...!

Got a swipe or 2 in before it got too wet... The sharp blade made a difference.. No surprise there

Thanks all...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You wont find a Snapper blade at home depot. Also, universal, fits everything" blades wont fit either.

Believe it or not you can get a new Snapper blade on Amazon or eBay for under $20.

Good to know... Thank you

I sharpened up the one on there so no rush but I'll check out amazon... Always nice to have a spare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back