Bearings sliding in synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's both a polarity "attraction" mechanism and a substitution mechanism (activation energy).

Once attracted to the metal surface, the molecules have enough activation energy to "displace" the top layer of atoms and replace them with a hard film of molecules "activated" out of solution. The resulting film not only has to be somewhat hard, but "pliable" as well. In other words, too hard a film will crack, and too soft a film will shear off too quickly.

As far as militec, I have read their info and much of it seems self-contradictory. I do not know of the validity of any claims nor do I know if their technology is the same technology being used here.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

when the SJ and SL rated oils came out, they have a reduced level of barrier additives due to cat damage in cars.
Amsoil isn't api certified since they maintain higher levels of barrier additives and mobil has stayed with in the reg's for api certification or sj and sl which demands lower antiwear additives. The difference? both are synth's, but one has higher levels of barrier additives.

Does this mean if I'm running Amsoil I'll burn out my cats? Should I drain it out and switch back to Mobil 1?
dunno.gif

JWRENCH,
Somewhere in the AMSoil literature I read that their oil is less volatile, therefore fewer of the additives are getting to the exhaust in the first place. However, the API spec does not take this into account. So, FWIW, I would say that it wil not harm your cat.

quote:

Originally posted by JWRENCH:

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

when the SJ and SL rated oils came out, they have a reduced level of barrier additives due to cat damage in cars.
Amsoil isn't api certified since they maintain higher levels of barrier additives and mobil has stayed with in the reg's for api certification or sj and sl which demands lower antiwear additives. The difference? both are synth's, but one has higher levels of barrier additives.

Does this mean if I'm running Amsoil I'll burn out my cats? Should I drain it out and switch back to Mobil 1?
dunno.gif

I personally don't agree with amsoils concept they state for not burning out cat butttt I do agree with them as I don't believe any engine in good running condition that doesn't use oil will cause damage to the existing cats, IMO. I have used 15w40 for a while with no ill affects towards a cat yet. Actually, I think it's a way to reduce oils ability to protect as well where engines are last way to long. Of course that is my opinion and as many times before, I'm sure I'll be disagree'd with as I might be wrong. If an engine is consuming oil, no matter what brand, it will damage O2 sensors and of course cause cat problems. So, no, I don't believe amsoil's oil will cause any problems with cats, even though all the manufactures states it will. Got to remember one thing though, I'm talking about existing cats on older cars, the manufactures may be switching over to some new design but again, unless oil is passing by and causing emmission problems don't see it happening.

I wouldnt worry too much about the ZDDP and your cats unless you have loose rings.

An accaintenace of mine has been adding ZDDP to his oil for many years now with little effect on his cats.

It would seem the API specs assume the volatilty of a group I non syn.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by palmerwmd:
An accaintenace of mine has been adding ZDDP to his oil for many years now with little effect on his cats.

The only way to know if the catalyst is poisoned is to do an emissions test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back