Beard Oil

Originally Posted By: CT8
I have had a beard steady since 1980 not because it makes me look like a stud muffin chick magnet but I hate shaving.

Is your beard gray?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: Al
Interesting hope it works.

I am 71 and looking at older guys a beard makes them look older. I manage to hang out with both guys and gals..that I know pretty well. At least two of them told me how good I look compared to other old f*rts. I shave immaculately and am always well groomed. Makes a huge difference..lol.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Al is right, it will age you. I turned 30 in January, but can easily get pegged in my early 40s with all the white beard hairs.

Y'all are right - a beard can make you look older. But I'm not that old yet (37) and I'm a distance runner, so I'm in good physical shape, and I don't have any hair loss, so, I don't feel that it ages me that much. I do have a few gray/white hairs on my chin, but my hair and beard are sort of dark blond/reddish, and,there are only maybe 5 or 6. So, they don't stick out much.

I figure since I've never grown a good, full-sized beard (6 months+ of growth), I'm relatively young, and I'm in a job where it's acceptable, why not.

I am single right now and looking to date, so that's the only thing that could maybe be affected by it. I know there are women who hate beards. But, the other side of the coin is that there are many women who love beards. I've dated a few who have told me that, and wanted me to grow mine out. So, whatever. We'll see how I do.
smile.gif

My beard, now about 5 years old, is a hang over from my days of working at an adult film studio. If you can, grow it! Let is grow a few inches longer than you want, and then have a barber clean it up and shape it to keep it sexy.

I officially have to shave it this weekend for a new job here in the South, so I'll send my beard juujuu your way.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....

I make my own pre shave oil/beard oil. Most of them on the market are just castor/olive oils with various essential oils to make them smell good. I do 75% castor oil/25% olive oil, and several drops of tea tree oil. Makes shaving much smoother.

Clean shaving face since high school.
I think beards look terrible.... unless you're a member of an outlaw motorcycle gang and riding a Harley.

Goatees were fashionable 20 years ago, now it's fashionable to have a beard.

Quote:
Anyway, for a month or so now, I've been getting some dry, irritated skin on my chin, underneath my beard. I pulled the beard hair out of the way and the skin on my chin seems to be a bit red and irritated. It's not super bad or anything, but I never had anything like this when I was clean-shaven or had a shorter beard.

Some men get ringworm (fungus) tinea barbae on face.

Does your skin itch or burn ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote:
Anyway, for a month or so now, I've been getting some dry, irritated skin on my chin, underneath my beard. I pulled the beard hair out of the way and the skin on my chin seems to be a bit red and irritated. It's not super bad or anything, but I never had anything like this when I was clean-shaven or had a shorter beard.

Some men get ringworm (fungus) tinea barbae on face.

Does your skin itch or burn ?

Geez, that sounds nasty! I sure hope not!

I was getting some itching on my chin, but I think it was just from using hair shampoo and washing my beard too often. I also tend to use very hot water when I shower. I shower at least once and occasionally twice per day.

Since I read that using shampoo on my beard, as well as washing too often, can cause dry skin under my beard, I've stopped using shampoo and started using a mild bar soap. I was also pretty aggressive in scrubbing with my fingertips, like I do when I'm shampooing my hair. So, I think the combo of all those things was causing the dry skin.

In the last few days I have cut down on the frequency with which I wash my beard, trying to fight the urge to wash it when it's not really necessary. Now, last night when I showered, I did wash it, because I went dirt bike riding yesterday and it legitimately needed it.

I also went and looked at Walmart, and they actually carry beard oil! It's a brand called Cremo, it's about 10 bucks, and I bought some. I like it. I was skeptical at first just because it's about half or less of the price of the fancy shmancy stuff I ordered online from The Beard Baron. But the Cremo has actually turned out to be pretty good. I've applied it a few times and my chin isn't itching anymore. It's not greasy, and it's made my beard softer and tamed the wild hairs down a bit. It also has a nice sort of woodsy smell that isn't too strong.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I use beard shampoo from Dikson. They make other products you may find useful too.

http://www.muster-dikson.com/english/novita/dikson/barberpole/barberpole.html

Thanks. I'll take a look. I do want to get some beard shampoo that would clean my beard without drying my skin.

Going into spring, though, with warmer temps and more humidity, I think the dry skin will become less of a problem.

Received the Orient Express and Wildwood beard oils and the Kent large beard comb from The Beard Baron yesterday. I had ordered Friday and the items were shipped Monday. Not bad - 3 days from MA to Nashville via USPS.

I tried some of the Orient Express yesterday. WOW! The description on the site said "Orient Express premium beard oil will have you believing you are aboard the famous train on it's way from Paris to Istanbul." The essential oil scent blend contains anise star, fennel, cinnamon, nutmeg, and amber.

This stuff smells incredible. I put some on before going on a trail run through the woods. I could smell it every time I turned my head to one side or the other.

I will say, a little goes a long way. I used about 5 drops, but I think I'll cut that to 3 from now on, as there is a very generous amount of fragranced essential oils in this stuff. I think that's the difference in the price between this and the Cremo brand that I bought at Walmart. The Cremo is cedar-scented. It smells really good and does a great job of conditioning skin and beard, but the fragrance goes away a few minutes after applying it. Not so with this Orient Express. Even today, almost 20 hours after applying it, and after washing my beard with plain water, I can still detect a trace of the fragrance.

No more dry skin after several days of using beard oil.

Next I'll try the Wildwood, which has Cedarwood, Pine, Eucalyptus, and Fir essential oils as its scent blend. Similar to the Cremo, but I'm sure it will smell stronger and last longer.

My old coworker had all sorts of issues with existing oils. So he made his own. He ended up selling it here betterbeardcompany.ca

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My old coworker had all sorts of issues with existing oils. So he made his own. He ended up selling it here betterbeardcompany.ca

Nice looking site!

Silly question...

What about the natural oil your skin produces, why do you need to buy beard oil ?

Good question. I actually explained pretty exhaustively in my earlier posts.

Tried the Wildwood beard oil from The Beard Baron yesterday and today. Cedar, pine, eucalyptus and fir essential oil scent blend. It's perfect. You ever smelled a building made of cedar? It smells just like that. Awesome.

Blends perfectly with other manly scents like black coffee, gunpowder, bacon & eggs and gasoline! Yeah baby! I'm startin' to really get into this beard thing.

Does your girlfriend like the cedar scent ?

Don't have one right now. I'm in the market, though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
When I got into aviation maintenance a few years ago, I'd shave every day, but it seemed that most of the guys I worked with had beards, so I decided to grow a full beard for the first time, really, in my life, other than just experimenting with not shaving when I was a teenager/early 20s. It also seems to be in style here in Nashville, and, perhaps, in other areas of the country, as well. One reason, I think, is the popularity of beards among special forces guys in the military who have been deployed to Afghanistan, where beards are a regional tradition, and beards help our guys blend in amongst the local population and not stick out like a sore thumb.

Anyway, I grew my beard out for a while a couple of years ago, but ended up trimming it after about 3 or 4 months. I wore a short beard for a while, and then ended up going back to shaving every day.

Fast-forward to this past December - I ended up deciding to grow my beard back out, and it's been going, now, for almost 4 months. Couple that with the fact that I'm growing my hair out, too (I've been accused of having Bieb hair), and I've started getting some funny comments. I've had a couple of guys at work jokingly tell me that I looked mean and that they were intimidated by my beard. Some of the guys have started calling me Chuck Norris, and a guy who left and went to work somewhere else and came back didn't even recognize me at first, even after looking right at me. When I went over to say hello at a hangar meeting, he said, "whoa, you're looking like Grizzly Adams!" Honestly I'd have to look Grizzly Adams up, as I don't know who he is.

Not really sure what was causing it, I started looking online for some kind of moisturizer, and I found that there is literally an entire cottage industry for what is called beard oil. There are websites, YouTube videos, etc. on this subject. It turns out that shampoo, which I was using to wash my beard every time I took a shower, daily, or sometimes twice daily, is the likely culprit, in combination with the cold, dry winter weather. I've learned that even though the shampoo I've been using is a 2-in-1 (shampoo and conditioner) product, and does just fine in conditioning my hair, it is too harsh for facial skin, since it has detergents that are designed to clean the scalp, which is much oilier than facial skin. As a result, it's drying the skin on my chin under my beard.

Anyway, in looking around, I found a website that sells what seem like some good beard oils that contain jojoba oil, argan oil, coconut oil, castor oil, etc. A few drops of this oil, combed through the beard, is claimed to solve the problem of dry skin under the beard. It also helps condition the beard hair and adds some shine and prevents the wild hairs from being as wild. And they're formulated with essential oils for scent (there are multiple scents including cedar, citrus and tobacco).

I ordered a couple of bottles of his oil, and a good quality comb. I went with one bottle of the Wildwood and one of the Orient Express, so, we'll see how it does.

Here's the website:

www.thebeardbaron.com

And the guy who started the company has a YouTube channel (that's actually how I found out about it) that has a lot of great (and funny) videos on beard care, etc:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thebeardbaron

Anybody else used beard oil? If so, do you have a brand/scent you like?
Maybe you can get some in Jet A.
I have used a lot of products. Here is what I have used:
Honest Amish beard oil and beard balm.
7 sins Beard On. A great conditioner!
My go to now is Every Man Jack. It is inexpensive and available at Wally's. It works for me as well and is less expensive than Honest Amish. Contains Shea butter in addition to other ingredients. It smells Sooo good!

Back