Be Patient Filling Your DIffs

I don't think you're supposed to get (too much) gear oil into the axle tubes. They do have seals but I suppose that's more cases where the gear oil gets splashed or spilled into the tubes (during hard turns, for instance). Look at the position of the fill port on diffs. It's always just below the centerline of the axles, isn't it ?
I think you are right. I saw a video once that showed the results of overfilling a rear diff. It might have even been a Banks video. Anyway, if I recall correctly, overfilling leads to foaming, which results in reduced lubrication.

It’s on my list as well BUT it’s only 34 degrees here. Yikes!

Back to 59 tomorrow. 61 Wednesday

I’m gonna wait and have a small victory over my OCD.

Same temp here, next time, maybe change the Diff Fluid in July or August. LOL

IRS setups where it's just the pumpkin, those can be filled quickly. But solid axles where some of the lube runs into the shaft housings, yes those take more time to do properly. Just checked my diff lube this weekend, full synthetic it's got 60k miles on it and looks perfect. Will change it at 80k (open diff, light duty usage).

I’d imagine the viscosity of the gear oil would make a difference.

I used the hand pump the screws onto the bottle that runs the gear oil through a clear hose.

I did notice if I pushed the hose as far as I could into the gear housing, it would appear to fill quicker and start running out sooner. If I pulled the hose back an inch or so, I could put more in before it ran out.

Same temp here, next time, maybe change the Diff Fluid in July or August. LOL
Didn’t have that as an option here. Believe me, I did not want to do this now.

You must have missed I had to do a 500 mile drain after the installation of my new rear diff. I was at 560 miles.

I wonder if having the check plug and fill plug on different sides matters. My Mustang came with the Ford Racing finned cover that has drain and fill plugs on it, but you still use the fill plug on the pinion side of the diff to check/set the level.

Back