"Be Careful"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You crashed, a motorcycle, at 125 miles per hour, and went to work that night. Oh, I have to hear these details.
Yes. I was playing speed racer when coming out of a turn at 125mph on the speedo the rear end slid out and I thought I was going to die but I got on top of the bike and remember at 95 ish mph seperating from the bike, sliding on my back I watched the bike hit the berm fly up in the air and do several cartwheels before comming to a stop. I came to a stop and looked at my legs and arms and they were pointing in the proper directions and moved so, I got up walked over to the bike and it was messed up , very messed up. I tried to start it as I was about 10 miles from home and thought I'll have to ride it home some how. The bike wouldn't start because the right hand side cover of the engine was smashed flat which ruined the ignition components. Some guy pulled up in a pick up and asked if I needed, help? I said the bike won't start, He said where do you live , Millbrae I said he said lets load up the bike and I'll give you a ride home. I got home unloaded the bike and offered to buy him lunch and gas he said no thanks, I thanked him and took a shower and went to work as 3 pm . All was good until the next morning and boy was I sore. I really should have never come close to a motor cycle but they are fun. It seems the most fun you can have is the micro second before a crash.

My wife and I are still riding in our late sixties, but we do not ride on weekends. Weekdays between rush hour near towns and rural now only since being retired. Most close calls I've had were on weekends when the cages are all in hurry and distracted. I've cut down on night riding also since Bambi's have become a bigger hazard over the years around me and I've ''grilled'' a few in my 4 wheeled vehicles.
Always have a real helmet on, no Tupper wear skid lids, and gloves also. I've had minor dumps and gloves are must to protect hands.
If you have the misfortune to go down at least with gloves on to limit hand road rash you can hold a remote and a barley pop LOL.
Sport bike riders on the street thinking they are on a track have gotten way out of hand. My advice is get a cheap track bike, join a club and do track days to really see how good you are where you can't slide under a guard rail or hit a tree. Urban riders are the worst, 90 mph wheelies on the interstate heading out of town and crazy lane changes is a common thing. Bike riding is not a video game.
I ride my snowmobiles harder than my street bikes and they can kill you quickly also with over 130hp on tap.
Getting run over be a car/ truck is what really is a guarantee for disaster.

I felt the same way about the last time I went skiing. I have a 17-year-old who can backflip like it's nothing and he's a phenomenal downhill and park skier. The last time I went it had been 10 or so years and I went to the top, looked down, and pictured myself running into a tree and dying or at least breaking a leg, and made my way down to the lodge and there I stayed. It just wasn't worth it anymore. Sadly, a 60ish-year-old guy died after hitting a tree last week.
You certainly can't be as careless as you once were, but if you are smart about what you are doing, you can have lots of fun on the hill and make mistakes and crash with little chance of injury. Tree runs are probably not a good idea if you haven't been on the hill for 10 years! My kids are on the race team and spend lots of time in the park too, but I still remind them to leave some margin for error, don't rip full tilt on the sides of a run, back off a jump if someone clueless is wandering all over the park.
I try 100% quite often, but in the middle of a run without a lot of people on it, so if I catch an edge or go down, its mostly pride that hurts!

I think same with motorcycling or cycling, some roads and days and times of day aren't worth the risk... If you pick your spots I think you can cut your odds of having an incident quite a bit and still have fun. I ride mostly gravel and mtb trails and have fun without worrying about getting run over.

Astro,

Is that a hardtop convertable?
It is. My wife's car.

It also has stability control, and the roll bar deploys in a few tenths of a second if the car senses a roll over when the top is retracted. So, if you were to roll it (unlikely with stability control, but still) it will put up the bar for protection before you're upside down.

We've taken it down to Florida for vacation, and while it's a bit short on trunk space, it's a nice cruiser, too.

My wife had always wanted a "fun car" when we finally got all six kids through college. She was considering some early Jags, a Morgan, or an Austin-Healey.

Two issues with all of those - reliability, and safety. They're all like a motorcycle, lots of fun with the top down, but not much to protect you in a collision or accident. The SL600 has all the safety features, including solid structure and the roll-over protections, to allow her to be safe in traffic or on a trip.

The twin-turbo V-12 gives it some serious performance, should she want that - not quite motorcycle, but much more than ordinary cars - while being super smooth in operation.

So, it is a bit of middle ground. Performance and feel with safety.

Wow, those years in my late teens and early 20's spent skydiving and my mom would cringe and say "Oh you guys please be careful up there" as I was walking out the door to my car, little did I know that she wasnt expressing her own concern for my safety, she was just being condescending and manipulative! THAT WITCH. Too bad she died a few years ago, if I had known then what I learned reading this dribble, I'd go tell her straight to her face, right after I pulled a Chuck Norris and gave her the roundhouse kick right across her jaw she apparently deserved.

Know whats worse? Bikers that put those stupid yellow "Look twice for motorcycle" stickers on the backs of their cars. You're going to end up as five or six 30lb chunks of ground beef under the back of an F150 sooner or later, dont waste time on stupid, condescending bumper stickers nobody reads anyways.

I had a bike for about a year. Multiple close calls. Two in one day, the last day. I put it up for sale and sold it about a week after that. Couple of convertibles later now and I wouldnt have a bike if it were given to me.

Buried my high school friend last year. Pulled out right in front of a pickup, got blasted broadside. Seeing your friend lying in a coffin with a purple knot on the side of their head the size of your fist wasnt something I ever thought I'd see, and not something I ever want to see again.

Makes me remember working the flight line, same thing every morning. Had our daily briefing, who was working on what. Supervisor always ended the same way... "Guys, remember your ear protection, stay safe, and always watch for the rotating beacon, remember your engine safety zones." Geez, what a JERK! We were licensed and certified professionals, what made him think we needed this kind of condescending manipulation?

Maybe it was because one of the guys still managed to walk right in front of a JT3 idling on a DC-8, that ripped half the clothing off his body before stalling and launching him 50 feet forward after he luckily plowed into the inlet guide vanes, which barely saved his life. How he managed to survive and be back to work 5 months later is beyond me. Still, he didnt need to be reminded, what made our supervisor feel like he needed to say that every morning? Man I hate people.

Anway.....Sorry if anyone ever expressed concern for your safety, those dolts. I've heard it too, I've been a victim as well, I've had that vicious venom thrown at me myself. It stings! I just wish people would stop. Maybe if we could euthanize grandmothers as a start, we could cut this nonsense at least in half. I dont know. Regardless, keep up the good word, sooner or later the ignorant masses will stop with this nonsense, and we can all get back to donating organs. Now if you'll excuse me, my 737 is on approach to CVG and I think both the pilots are barfing, I've got to go land this thing. I've seen Airport '75 at least fourteen times, and I've had three Bud Lights, I can handle this.

It is. My wife's car.

It also has stability control, and the roll bar deploys in a few tenths of a second if the car senses a roll over when the top is retracted. So, if you were to roll it (unlikely with stability control, but still) it will put up the bar for protection before you're upside down.

We've taken it down to Florida for vacation, and while it's a bit short on trunk space, it's a nice cruiser, too.

My wife had always wanted a "fun car" when we finally got all six kids through college. She was considering some early Jags, a Morgan, or an Austin-Healey.

Two issues with all of those - reliability, and safety. They're all like a motorcycle, lots of fun with the top down, but not much to protect you in a collision or accident. The SL600 has all the safety features, including solid structure and the roll-over protections, to allow her to be safe in traffic or on a trip.

The twin-turbo V-12 gives it some serious performance, should she want that - not quite motorcycle, but much more than ordinary cars - while being super smooth in operation.

So, it is a bit of middle ground. Performance and feel with safety.
Does it have electric eyes or sensors that would detect if you had stuff in the trunk? So it wouldn't turn into a trash compactor if you tried to put the top down with the trunk full.

Does it have electric eyes or sensors that would detect if you had stuff in the trunk? So it wouldn't turn into a trash compactor if you tried to put the top down with the trunk full.
It has a retractable internal luggage cover - under which you can fit two carry-on size bags, and not much else.

If the cover is in place (switches sense that cover position) the roof will operate and retract.

If the cover is not in place, you can fit more stuff in the trunk, but the roof will not operate.

Last edited:
This is why many folks stopped riding and sold their motorcycle.

The guy now has permanent injuries from idiot driver.
Social media sensationalism affects everyone’s fears in all categories of life if they let it.
Even things like the murder rate in this country. Very few people know the murder rate is much lower now than decades ago.
People love reading about other miseries, motorcycle or not.
Motorcycles themselves are safer today just than any time in history. But there’s no guarantees about a negligent driver up an automobile or truck.

Social media sensationalism affects everyone’s fears in all categories of life if they let it.
Even things like the murder rate in this country. Very few people know the murder rate is much lower now than decades ago.
Motorcycles themselves are safer today just than any time in history. But there’s no guarantees about a negligent driver up an automobile or truck.

I know a woman and he husband was killed when driver in vehicle made a left hand turn in front of him, misjudged the closure rate of motorcycle.

The guy was out on a Sunday ride on his Harley, minding his own business, not speeding or riding recklessly…… he ends up in a body bag and taken to medical examiners office for his wife to ID him.

Accidents happen all the time and they never make the news.

Maybe there’s a middle ground? 0-60 in just under four seconds. Wind in your hair. Two tons of German engineering and steel wrapped around you for survivability.

View attachment 147252
I personally believe this would be MY choice, if I wanted the experience but with a level of safety. I came close a few times to buying a used SL500 when they came on the market at rock bottom $10k prices. The rollover bar is a good touch IMO. Beautiful cars.

I think this is the best motorcycle crash video I've ever seen. It really did happen, several years ago. No CGI involved.

I really don't understand the OP. You're resentful because people care about your safety and well being? I would take a close look at why these kind words irritate you so much. Also consider that these may not be the only words that get under your skin so easily.
Or, maybe the original statement is simply being interpreted in the worst way... "Be careful," as in "You are a terrible, careless rider, so please try not to hurt yourself or someone else." Or even better, "You're an idiot for riding a motorcycle." Some people have extremely defensive attitudes and actually think this way.
And about the comment itself, let's get this out of the way: motorcycles are inherently dangerous. I'm not saying motorcycle riders are more likely to crash than other motorists -- this is debatable and not my point at all. I'm saying when you are on a motorcycle, there is a serious lack of protection provided by your vehicle. Crashing on a motorcycle is more likely to cause injury than the same crash in nearly any other vehicle.

Motorcycles themselves are safer today just than any time in history.
How so? Surely better tires, brakes, perhaps some warning systems, brighter lights, better safety equipment like reflective items, better helmets. True they probably do prevent some accidents, and the PPE might mitigate injuries to a degree. But overall, one is probably nearly as vulnerable today as any time in the past 7 decades.

I would argue, however, that any real or perceived improvements in accident avoidance and mitigating PPE, is negated by these facts:
1. Much faster motorcycles with far more reckless bikers. I routinely see bikes blasting down the roads, grossly over the speed limits regardless of what that was. There has not been a commensurate increase in biker survival, given the fact as I cited bikers per mile have a 28x greater fatality rate than cars. I don't know what it was decades ago but it's a staggering difference. It likely represents a disproportionate increase in car safety, combined with more reckless biker behaviors.

2. Inattentive auto drivers, driving cars/trucks that have far greater power/speed/size than decades ago. Advances is auto safety tech has resulted in a significant increase in survival rates in cars. Darwin has a harder time removing these people from the roads, where they likely would have been removed before. So they persist in bad driving.

3. Elimination of drivers education, along with all drivers, seem to have a lower IQ today overall, than what I might expect drivers to have decades ago, as a generalization.

4. Overall increase of speed limits from decades ago, particularly on highways. It was 55 or 65 when I was a kid. Now it's generally 70-80mph on most interstates. I routinely see people, especially bikers over 100mph.

I'm saying when you are on a motorcycle, there is a serious lack of protection provided by your vehicle. Crashing on a motorcycle is more likely to cause injury than the same crash in nearly any other vehicle.
Twenty-Eight times more, per 2020 stats in the USA, likely to die in a motorcycle crash than a car crash. That is a figure that is really really hard to ignore IMO.

Heck in Russian roulette you have less chance of dying, that's only 1 in 6 or 16% chance!

As far as motorcycles, those rotations in the ED I spoke about earlier were 20 years ago back when MySpace was a thing and it was the exact same conversation then as it is now - at least in my circle. It was the same conversations I had in the 90s when I got my license and some friends wanted motorcycles.

Now, I do not disagree with the premise of your post. For instance, most people believe being a police officer is one of the most dangerous jobs with a high chance of death when the stats tell us it's typically around the 20th most dangerous job in the US for any given year and that being a garbage man or traveling salesman or truck driver is significantly more dangerous. That's not a knock on LE, just an example where I believe the risk of a job has been greatly overestimated based on social media posts.

Accidents are the 4th leading cause of US deaths, with 224,935 in the last reported year, in the US, per the CDC. And it's the only cause of death in the top 10, that predominantly impacts young people. The rest are predominantly ailments that come with long life and start occurring much later in life. Highway safety reported ~5,000 motorcyclist deaths in 2020, representing 14% of all traffic fatalities and 28x higher death rate than car passengers.

When I was active duty during the height of the 2-front GWOT, we were losing LESS men in combat, than motorcycle deaths at home. These young men would come home from deployment, feel invincible, use that deployment money on a bike, and be dead in a month. The Army mandated extensive motorcycle safety classes, and full PPE on bikes. Think about that, less men dying in combat than on motorcycles. And that's how we lost a infantry guy in my unit between deployments.

If you're doing something regularly that is 14% of all traffic fatalities, at 28x more likely than car deaths, contributes to a 4th leading cause of death, and comprises to about 2-3% of all annual accident deaths overall, perhaps "Be Careful" is sage advice.

I know a woman and he husband was killed when driver in vehicle made a left hand turn in front of him, misjudged the closure rate of motorcycle.

The guy was out on a Sunday ride on his Harley, minding his own business, not speeding or riding recklessly…… he ends up in a body bag and taken to medical examiners office for his wife to ID him.

Accidents happen all the time and they never make the news.
You can never mind you own business when driving a car or riding a motorcycle. .One day when I was driving truck I went from the Mervyns warehouse in Hayward California to drop a full then pick up the empty trailor in Fullerton Calif. Then drop then full trailer and pick the up the empty trailor in San Diego. In Los a drunk illegal entered the freway and realized I was there his pick up flopped on its side and I saw it disappear from my frontal view. I didn't hit the pick up ,the Highway patrol was instantly there and said leave now. Then in San Diego making a right hand turn after stopping for a red light a kid ran into the back trailer while riding a mo ped like a wild man and for some reason the cops appeared like magic and figured out what happened and said leave now . I slept over in San Diego and the next day went to the ware house in Ontario California , dropped the trailors then picked up two loaded up trailers to return to Hayward. Close to Colinga Calif all of a sudden I 5 was lit up with the most incredible flare set up I have ever seen, lots of cars parked on the side and one quite a distance off of the interstate and many Highway patrol cars. I was doing a couple miles or so per hour due to the congestion and looked for a wrecked vehicle , what I saw was a blob of meat, blood and two legs that belonged to a woman because I could she she was wearing nylon stockings with heels. After dropping off the truck in Hayward Calif and on the way home I heard on the radio news the women committed suicide by running infront of a semi and the driver swerved to miss her but hit her with the trailer tires . What a weekend of excitement. Always be careful

Last edited:
OK, does anyone else start to resent the "be careful" getting thrown at you every time the motorcycle topic comes up?

It's gotten worse lately, as an acquaintance in our circle of friends wiped out on his hog and got a concussion... then died.

He rode with jeans, bare arms and a barely-there skid lid.

I ride with an Arai full face, full body armor and upgraded spine protection. I've recently taken a safety course. I study and practice. My bike has upgraded lighting (nothing blinding) and a foghorn (and the stock horn, when I want to be "nice".)

It's gotten to the point I am deleting the comments on my Facebook posts. I share amazing (to me, anyway) rides with beautiful views, and get the same BE CAREFUL responses, as if saying it again and again is appropriate, like maybe I'll wise up and stop riding or something.

Sorry about the rant... maybe some appropriate (or inappropriate) replies might amuse me.

Riding a motorcycle in Utah is a Deathwish.....sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back