Battery powered leaf blowers

I have 2 for blowing out the aircraft hangars.

The best Ego 56V blower I could find which was the 650CFM 5.0AH.
The Kobalt 80V 650cfm.

The Kobalt does not have enough oomph to blow pebbles out of the hangar. 10-12 minutes on turbo. So while it blows well, it is just not quite enough for my needs. I've moved it to the smaller T-hangar. Where it's a better fit.

The EGO can move the pebbles, but it takes "turbo" mode, 13 mins on turbo. The battery dies before the hangar job is done. The EGO does a good job on a medium pile of dry leaves. But I found that clearing a 40x100 yard in PA was beyond the battery life. It did not have enough velocity to move a pile of wet leaves from the 1 foot drainage ditch and blow them up the hill. Something the gas blowers will all do.

I also have 2 gas blowers, an Echo 210 gas blower and a Stihl BG86. The Echo outperforms both electrics with regard to run time 45 mins, and velocity (moving pebbles) but it falls short on volume (won't blow huge piles of leaves as well as the EGO). The Stihl BG86 has a modified muffler and simply outperforms everything. Blows out the hangar in 5 minutes.

I would choose the EGO 765 if I could do it over.

Just some nerdy information: The EGO 765 makes 24 newtons force on turbo. The Echo 9010 backpack blower makes 48 newtons. Despite EGO's bragging, it's half the power of a real backpack blower.
I've never been very impressed with much in the Kobalt line to begin with. I can vouch for the EGO build quality/longevity/performance for the use I put both through. Yrs ago I had a mid-size Kawasaki 2-stroke backpack that performed quite well, but can honestly say the EGO 650 I have is more powerful at the nozzle than that backpack was. These days I have to rely on electric for that sort of thing due to respiratory complications and it's worth every penny for my use. Have also seen the EGO backpack setup, but that wouldn't do me much good.

I have an a BGA 57, runs about 30 mins. Can run indefinitely if you have 2 batteries as the 2nd one is charged by the time the other is used up.

I use it for leaves and drying my vehicles after I wash them.

I have an a BGA 57, runs about 30 mins. Can run indefinitely if you have 2 batteries as the 2nd one is charged by the time the other is used up.
I use it for leaves and drying my vehicles after I wash them.
I understand your point. However with the EGO (and the 80v Kobalt), a 4C+, high rate of discharge is used to achieve the 160mph/650cfm performance. The bat is hot after 13 minutes of "turbo". It won't charge for about an hour as it needs to cool, and then takes more than an hour to charge. 2 batteries would do the job for most people, as that's enough run time in total. But 2 4AH or 5AH batteries won't come close to continuous blower operation for (say) a commercial operation doing a big job.

These blowers make more than 1HP. 746w per HP (really 1000w=1HP, accounting for losses)
With a 56V 5AH battery that's 280wh.

Last edited:
I have a Snapper 82V. I got into it via EBay, watching for deals. I find the 2Ah battery is good, while the 4Ah is really too heavy for regular use. Only time I use the 4Ah is after a big rain, when I have a lot of wet debris and water I have to blow slightly uphill and out of the driveway, and I have the throttle locked on full.

I understand your point. However with the EGO (and the 80v Kobalt), a 4C+, high rate of discharge is used to achieve the 160mph/650cfm performance. The bat is hot after 13 minutes of "turbo". It won't charge for about an hour as it needs to cool, and then takes more than an hour to charge. 2 batteries would do the job for most people, as that's enough run time in total. But 2 4AH or 5AH batteries won't come close to continuous blower operation for (say) a commercial operation doing a big job.

These blowers make more than 1HP. 746w per HP (really 1000w=1HP, accounting for losses)
With a 56V 5AH battery that's 280wh.

The turbo function of my blower is excessive and I only use it momentarily for something that is embedded on pavement. The BGA 56 is not a commercial blower.

If I plan on replacing my parent’s Stihl, it would be with a Milwaukee M18 Fuel. However, I’ve heard good things about EGo and Ryobi’s new 40V system to challenge EGo doesn’t seem bad(TTI wants all-in at Home Depot - much like Masco Coating Division’s deal with Behr, hence why EGo was dropped there).

While I’m sold on my 40v string trimmer and hedge trimmer, I just can’t give the backpack blower over to battery. being that it will deplete the half gallon gas tank rather quickly, I can’t see an electric meeting our needs at all. Would quite like one for the most-frequent use here, merely blowing sawdust out of the garage, but can’t justify buying and storing it for just that use.

I have a Stihl battery blower. I don't remember the model off hand, but it's one of the cheaper hand held ones. I've had it a few years now. I use it to scare my wife when starting random brush/trash pile fires ("you're going to start a forest fire!") and to blow grass clippings off of places we don't want grass clippings (gravel, flagstones, concrete). Held wide open, it probably lasts about 20 minutes. I have yet to use it from a full charge to empty, so I've never been left wanting more battery capacity. It works perfectly for how I use it.

I have a Greenworks Pro 80v we bought from Costco. Blower and Trimmer. I am very impressed with them the blower is very powerful and very tuff despite by best efforts I have not broken it. The trimmer is hands down better than a gas trimmer. We have had them a couple years now so they have had a good work out. I also have a gas blower a Hitachi which I really like as well but it gets used only during heavy leave season anymore.

I have 2 for blowing out the aircraft hangars.

The best Ego 56V blower I could find which was the 650CFM 5.0AH.
The Kobalt 80V 650cfm.

The Kobalt does not have enough oomph to blow pebbles out of the hangar. 10-12 minutes on turbo. So while it blows well, it is just not quite enough for my needs. I've moved it to the smaller T-hangar. Where it's a better fit.

The EGO can move the pebbles, but it takes "turbo" mode, 13 mins on turbo. The battery dies before the hangar job is done. The EGO does a good job on a medium pile of dry leaves. But I found that clearing a 40x100 yard in PA was beyond the battery life. It did not have enough velocity to move a pile of wet leaves from the 1 foot drainage ditch and blow them up the hill. Something the gas blowers will all do.

I also have 2 gas blowers, an Echo 210 gas blower and a Stihl BG86. The Echo outperforms both electrics with regard to run time 45 mins, and velocity (moving pebbles) but it falls short on volume (won't blow huge piles of leaves as well as the EGO). The Stihl BG86 has a modified muffler and simply outperforms everything. Blows out the hangar in 5 minutes.

I would choose the EGO 765 if I could do it over.

Just some nerdy information: The EGO 765 makes 24 newtons force on turbo. The Echo 9010 backpack blower makes 48 newtons. Despite EGO's bragging, it's half the power of a real backpack blower.
I have the Ego 765 and the Ego 530. I use the 765 to blow off my car after wash and everything else. The 530 pretty much not used now

Still have my Toro electric blower, with 200+ mph wind speed she gets the job done whether drying off the car or clearing out the driveway, neighbor has an electric, doesn't run very long or powerful. ;)

Back