Battery powered lawnmower

My Troy bilt Honda 160 is still kickin for 14 years. What are your thoughts on battery powered units? For what it’s worth it takes a half a tank to mow front and back. I maybe looking into the Sthil mower. Of course when the Honda gives up, lol.

I still use a 2-cycle Lawn-boy. I think this battery powered ideology is poorly thought out and we're all going to regret the foolishness of our leaders in the generations that follow.

They can have my gasoline powered (and oil lubricated) lawn mower when they can pry it from my cold, dead hands. :)

I bought a Makita recently from Amazon (mainly due to the 2 spare batteries it came with), it seems almost as powerful as my 4.5 HP Tecumseh powered one it replaced. Motor speed spools up in heavy grass, seems like it could handle quite a bit. Batteries are only half drained after cutting, too. My old 2-stroke Lawn-Boy is a little stronger (gave it to my neighbor for her to use, but still available as an emergency back up), but a Lawn-Boy is not a fair comparison, they outcut EVERYTHING!

My neighbor bought an electric mower a few years ago. The batteries went bad after three years and the replacements ones cost $300. I had to tell her that three years worth of gas in my old craftsman mower was about $10.

She's now gone back to her old corded electric mower.

My Troy bilt Honda 160 is still kickin for 14 years. What are your thoughts on battery powered units? For what it’s worth it takes a half a tank to mow front and back. I maybe looking into the Sthil mower. Of course when the Honda gives up, lol.
If waiting for the Honda to give up, why contemplate it now? It could be another decade, choices and price points for gas operation vs cordless electric investment may have changed by then. Keep the deck clean and oiled so it doesn't rust out.

Unless it's only a tiny lawn, don't get a cheap cordless or else you'll be disappointed by runtime, flimsiness.

i agree. battery operated stuff is a nice thought, but its time hasn't come yet...my neighbor bought a push mower battery operated...was running out of battery before getting done with the yard ...$325 for another spare battery...even with gas prices where they are now i can sure mow a lot of grass for $325

I just looked at a Harbor freight mower 5 minutes ago on their website. $349.99, and that
's just for the mower .Batteries and charger have to be purchased separately. The batteries are $109.99, and the charger is about $60. I still have and use, a gas mower from 1997. Just this year I spent the only repair money ever on it, a new blade. If you only have a 10 x 10 patch of grass to mow, an electric mower can be bought for a song compared to battery operated ones. Why do people think battery operated is the way to go?.,,

I've got a 40v Greenworks push mower that is 9 years old. All of my lawn equipment is battery powered, except for the 2010 craftsman tractor I use for the large backyard.

I've also use a Ego 56v 2-stage snowblower. If you think it's underpowered,your seriously uninformed.

Nothing wrong with battery powered tools and equipment.They require care just like anything else.

If waiting for the Honda to give up, why contemplate it now? It could be another decade, choices and price points for gas operation vs cordless electric investment may have changed by then. Keep the deck clean and oiled so it doesn't rust out.

Unless it's only a tiny lawn, don't get a cheap cordless or else you'll be disappointed by runtime,
I've got a 40v Greenworks push mower that is 9 years old. All of my lawn equipment is battery powered, except for the 2010 craftsman tractor I use for the large backyard.

I've also use a Ego 56v 2-stage snowblower. If you think it's underpowered,your seriously uninformed.

Nothing wrong with battery powered tools and equipment.They require care just like anything else.
Have you replaced the batteries at all?

I'd consider it if my gas stuff was less reliable.

Chonda lawnmower has some sort of EVAP system that keeps the gas from evaporating. Add a teaspoon of sta-bil, let it sit the winter, starts on first pull.

Chonda snowblower, a little worse, sometimes I have to pull the bowl, "tickle" the float, and reassemble. Five minutes.

If I were a contractor and used Brand X batteries daily, and my OPE took the same batteries, maybe. But I'm not investing in something I use 12-20 times per season.

I used a corded lawnmower at my cousin's place and hated it. 15 amps at 120V is maybe 2 hp. I'm having a hard time buying that a cordless version would make more power. Maybe it'll cut ok thanks to clever blades or whatever but I can get clever blades for my 20" MTD.

Guys who have the Greenworks generally like them.

I could do cordless around the house, but my acre side yard (might be more) is a bit much I think. I’ve also done well so far with mowers, usually get on the cheap.

Wild speculation here: how long until a two stage snow blower?

I could do cordless around the house, but my acre side yard (might be more) is a bit much I think. I’ve also done well so far with mowers, usually get on the cheap.

Of course the issue is how the ambient temperature affects battery life/capacity.

I've got a ego 56v 2 stage snow blower in the garage. Ryobi and SnowJoe also have the 2 stage snow blowers.

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_132403364_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211202_132403364_HDR.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 16
I bit the bullet and bought the DeWalt 20v lawmower yesterday. Posted my Ariens 21 self propelled online for $200 and had someone pick it up Saturday. Then headed to home Depot and picked up the DeWalt. Batteries were on one bar so it took about 90 mins to charge. I need another rapid charger to speed up charging times of the 10ah batteries. Here are some pics of the Ariens and DeWalt.

The DeWalt is so quiet I could probably cut the grass at 7am and not disturb anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20220619_121421604.jpg
    IMG_20220619_121421604.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220617_093038614.jpg
    IMG_20220617_093038614.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220617_093034720.jpg
    IMG_20220617_093034720.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 40
How heavy/deep a snow fall can that handle?

We didn't get that much snow this winter but it handled 6-inches of snow on Eco-mode easily.

If you do a search on YouTube,these will handle 10- plus inches with no issues.

Reactions: JC1
We didn't get that much snow this winter but it handled 6-inches of snow on Eco-mode easily.

If you do a search on YouTube,these will handle 10-inches plus with no issues.
My issue is the end of driveway pile that the plows leave. Especially if it's wet and slushy. I got rid of my craftsman 208cc and got a 10hp Toro to handle that. One of these years I'll go battery powered snowblower.

The problem with electric snowblowers is the mound of snow at the end of the driveway or the front of the house, the last big storm the plows put 20" of hard packed snow right at the end of the driveway the most I have seen is over 36" when we had 24" of snow some years ago.
The 13HP Ariens was having a tough time but it was doing it, I moved with the bucket on the Kubota. No electric is shifting that kind of snow, if you want an electric make sure it comes with a free HD shovel.

End of driveway is hard on gas, or at least the cheap jobs I've always had. Hope for the best (but keep several snow shovels handy).

On a good winter one has to knock down the snowbanks no matter what. Climb up and remove the tops. You know it's a good winter when you have to do that more than once. Plus around that time the snowblower starts having issues tossing over the bank.

Reactions: JC1
Back