Battery experts, I need your input

Battery recharging performance varies pretty widely by vehicle, but it is likely most people vastly overestimate the alternator's contribution.

I have 3 batteries in my camper van, solar and a battery monitor which reads alternator amps. When my batteries are within 20% of fully charged, the alternator's contribution is pathetic. Basically my 130 watt solar (7.39 amps)panel in good sun is more effective than my alternator when the batteries are above 80%. Upgraded wiring and high RPM's have little or no effect on increasing alternator recharging in that state of charge zone, much to my chagrin.

It's always better to plug in a battery to the grid (or strong solar) rather than relying on the alternator to top it off. I try to meet the charging specs listed by my battery manufacturer, which is 20 amps at 14.5 volts. When I do so, they hold more voltage under use than when recharged slower. But these are true deep cycle batteries, a different animal than a starting battery.

There are several things that can cause an engine to spin slow, when doing a cold start. Probably the first thing you should check is what oil is in it?

If the first number is too high, then the oil will be too thick when it is cold. The first number should be a 0 or a 5 if you want the oil to be thin enough for fast cold starts.

Another thing to check is the starter. If it has more than 60K miles on it, it would probably be a good idea to take it to a good shop that rebuilds starters, and get them to go over the starter.

Then there are the simple things like a bad connection, such as dirty battery connection, or a dirty ground connection. I would also have new brushes and bearings put in the alternator every 60K.

Back