Battery Change

So my dealer tells me my 3 year old Interstate battery is testing low and should be replaced. And remarkably, Costco says to bring it in for a replacement no questions asked.

It will take an hour or two to retrieve the replacement. What’s the best way to preserve the car’s electronic memory in the meantime? I have done this with a slave battery connected to the OBD2 connector (attach leads to slave battery, attach to OBD2, remove car battery and reverse process with new battery).

Realizing the consequences of failure can be high, assuming I connect the +/- terminals correctly, is this a safe method? Or are there better alternatives?

Thanks!

Reactions: JC1
I think the effort in trying to preserve the memory is more than outweighed by just reprogramming what you need like the radio stations.
10 minutes for reprogramming vs how much time and risk to try to preserve ?
Transmission may need to go through a relearn but that may be a good thing.

I wouldn't risk reverse polarizing the USB connector and shorting something else out, possibly resulting in a fire.

I would make sure you have the code to your stereo, if required to reprogram, and do as Danno says. There's nothing wrong with an ECM/ECU/TCM, etc. reset from time to time.

What year and make are you driving? Some won't even lose radio settings.

I used an adapter that plugs into the 12V power plug (lighter plug) and provides power for memory retention with a 9V battery. I made sure to plug it into a power port that remains connected with the ignition key off, or an always-on power socket. The one inside the console on my car is always on while the one on the dashboard turns off with ignition.

Capture.JPG

I used an adapter that plugs into the 12V power plug (lighter plug) and provides power for memory retention with a 9V battery. I made sure to plug it into a power port that remains connected with the ignition key off, or an always-on power socket. The one inside the console on my car is always on while the one on the dashboard turns off with ignition.

View attachment 33261
Can you tell us where you bought this, brand, etc.?

Thank you,
Ed

I know most but not all Interstate were JCI batteries. But now JCI is made in Saudi Arabia (I think).

So by whom and where are these Costco batteries made?

I am an East Penn guy now until they do me wrong.

I followed Danno’s advice. I suppose this can vary by make and model, but leaving my 2015 CRV battery-less for over an hour was a non-event. It remembered its presets and phone pairings and only required holding the power button for 5-10 seconds to get past the radio security feature. And if it’s relearning engine or transmission settings it isn’t noticeable.

So thanks, Danno. This board can be really helpful.

Reactions: JC1
Can you tell us where you bought this, brand, etc.?

Thank you,
Ed
I got it on eBay from whoever had the price and feedback profile I found acceptable. I didn't save the packaging. They are pretty easy to find.

What is involved for your car? On mine, all I have to do is retrain the window up and down motion so it knows where full closed is.

I tried one of the memory savers. It didn't work that well. Waste of money.

Buy a second battery. Attach it with jumper cables (preferably a fuses cable) someplace, ideally not the battery (lug on load center or something else always hot). Replace bad battery. Take as long as you need. Upon installation, remove jumpers and second battery. Return second battery to store.

Be careful regardless, but doubly so if the leads from the backup battery aren’t fused.

I would be weary about powering the car through the OBD port. Those are only fused to 2 amps. Most interior lights draw more than that. If you blow that fuse, then the car wont start.

When I replaced the battery on my car, I hooked up a jump starter to the remote battery terminals under the hood. Swapped the battery and all was good.

Back