Battery at 4.3v

2013 F150.
Off brand battery (put in by Chevy dealer I bought it from years ago), well taken care of, 3/2018 date of battery. In service shortly after.

I unplugged the battery management system years ago and didn't realize that is what would shut off the battery if you did something stupid....like leaving the keys ON in the ignition all night like I did last night.

Multimeter said 4.3v.

Prologix battery charger at 10a got her up to 13.2.

Is this thing dead?
Play it by ear?
Replace now?

I've done worse and still been able to use the battery for years later.

My point being you never know unless you try. You have got nothing to lose by trying to manually charge the battery back up and seeing if it works.

Luckily it didn't sit at that low state of charge long enough for the plates to start to sulfate(it seems due to taking a charge), but at 5 years old already, it has had a good life.
A hydrometer is really the only way to tell the health of a battery but a load test in the next best thing.

Luckily it didn't sit at that low state of charge long enough for the plates to start to sulfate(it seems due to taking a charge), but at 5 years old already, it has had a good life.
A hydrometer is really the only way to tell the health of a battery but a load test in the next best thing.

Forgot about my little ball floating hydrometer...

Back