Bass Pro Shops 4 stroke oil

Does anyone have any experience using the Bass Pro Shops 4 stroke outboard oil? I realize it's non-synthetic, but it appears to be FCW certified and is priced at $10 per gallon on sale (less than 1 quart of Yamalube). Is the stuff any good, or does the old adage of "if it sounds too good to be true, it is" apply? It would be used in a Yamaha Vmax SHO 200 (4.2 liter).

I've been wondering about this stuff too. Both of my parents work/worked at Base Camp in Springfield. My dad is a retired photographer and my mom is still in merchandising.

Yamaha recommends synthetic oil (their own of course) for SHO engines. I'm sure the Bass Pro oil is a good product but as you mentioned it is not synth. I'd be leery of running non synth in such an expensive engine.

It all depends how you define synthetic.

Group 2 Plus, group 3 group 4 or 5. All can be called symthetic.

A group 3 is not the same as a group 4. For a given engine it might be better, or worse, or no difference. The user with a sample size of one, has no way to tell.

What those motors cost, and no more hours than most of them accumulate, the cost of even expensive OE oil is pretty small.

My view, worth exactly what you paid for it.
Rod

I bought some today for my 1.5 year old mercury pro xs 150 ($12 a gallon vs $34 gallon of merc oil) It met all the ratings in my manual and comes from Amalie Oil Company according to what I looked up on the nmma website. Think it should be good to go.

Back