Basement flooded. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I finished grouting the tile in my new finished basement. I did everything of the course of the past two months.....

Never got water before.

I have a sump pump. That wasn't the issue.

I got 5 inches of water today up through a floor drain. It's rain water. We had a quick HEAVY storm.

None of my neighbors got water in my populated area. Our homes tie into the same line out.

I'm sitting here with a sump pump cycling it on and off over the floor drain as water is still creeping in.

I have 10 fans all borrowed from said dry neighbors hoping to salvage drywall.

I'm confused to why I'm the only one with water?

I'm also distraught over that hard work I just put in.

sorry to hear that.

Assuming you have a backflow preventer or similar on your storm drain section (where the sump pump drains out)?

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/zLSpQ3CamPtvTAVi3h.2SA--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9ODgwO3E9OTU7dz0xMTAw/http://www.insblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/4943-BackWaterValve_W.jpg

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
sorry to hear that.

Assuming you have a backflow preventer or similar on your storm drain section (where the sump pump drains out)?

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/zLSpQ3CamPtvTAVi3h.2SA--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9ODgwO3E9OTU7dz0xMTAw/http://www.insblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/4943-BackWaterValve_W.jpg

Q.

The sump pump ties into the sanitary stack. I don't but either do my neighbors.

So sorry to hear that. It's never happened before?

I'm surprised the storm sewers are tied to the sanitary ones - or is there a storm sewer line right under your home? No check valve?

I'd have to guess that the line is smaller or sloped or clogged just in front of or behind you such that water built up and your drain was the best way to get out.

How frustrating.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So sorry to hear that. It's never happened before?

I'm surprised the storm sewers are tied to the sanitary ones - or is there a storm sewer line right under your home? No check valve?

I'd have to guess that the line is smaller or sloped or clogged just in front of or behind you such that water built up and your drain was the best way to get out.

How frustrating.

We have two lines. Storm and Sanitary. Wouldn't a floor drain be tied into storm?

^^^^^This^^^^^^
You need to install a name brand good backflow trap. They are required by city ordinance here if you have a basement that has a drain that connects to storm OR sewage line.

UPDATE!

Still sitting by floor drain.

I opened up two sanitary line clean outs, one inside basement, one outside and both were filled to the brim.

House built in 1950.

What's going on!

Is your Sump Pump "actually working"??

They don't last forever, maybe 10-15 years.....
Ours went our 5 years ago, same thing happened!!

I have no solution, but I can commiserate. My hot water heater just puked in the basement. Fortunately, that section isn't finished, so I'm not quite in the pickle you're in, but I do have some idea! And, I'll be really happy after a cold shower, too.

Your sump pump should discharge out into your yard. Most places it's against code to discharge it in the sewer. This is one reason why.

As long as your remolding had nothing to do with it,
must just be a coincidence that basement flooded at this time.

In a case like this, I would call a good Plumber and have him snake the line.
The problem has to be fixed before any drying out of the area.

You need to use a Dehumidifier, not just Fans.

I was raised in a flooding area (never had water in basement though).
Because of this, I have taken precautions in my house.
1) Installed a Check Valve in sewer line.
2) Made a Sump Pump Alarm that will go off during power failure or pump malfunction.
3) Have 3 spare Sump Pumps ready for action
4) Have a Dehumidifier

The Alarm was made using a Pressure Switch from a washing machine, Piezo Buzzer, and 12 Volt wet cell battery.

I agree with others, your Storm Line should not be connected to Sewer Line.

As bad as it all is, realize that worse things in life could happen.
I say that to make you feels better, not worse.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: citationxeleven
Roots in the line? Probably a clay tile line and roots grew through a crack or at a joint.

^^THIS^^
If your cleanouts are full to the brim you have a tree root fanned out in the line somewhere that is blocking the flow. You need a professional plumber with a snake tool to clear the line. In my first house (built in 1954) they had to get the one they called "Big Hoss" to chew up the tree root that had clogged the line. The tree fell over in a storm a year or two later so it never came back. I think there is a chemical you can pour down the line to keep the roots at bay once it is clear. Copper something?

There are a number of possible reasons, none of which can be diagnosed over the Internet. You'll need to get someone out there and have them run a camera down the line in order to determine the problem and proper course of corrective action.

And while they're fixing the issue, have them install a backflow preventer.

Call a good plumber. Remove base trim, remove first foot or so of drywall and replace with blueboard. If the drywall got that wet it will never be right.
Basement looks great, my wife has wanted a finished basement for years, I am content with a good coat of paint on the cement walls and painted the ceiling.Every decade or so we get some water in our basement and I would have had this problem more than once if I had drywall.

Does not sound like rain water, even if clear.

Sounds like a sewer backup....rain was just a fluke, and has nothing to do with it.

Call a plumber to rod.

Sorry to hear about the flood. I agree with what others said about scoping drains and getting a blackflow preventer.

If your drywall is wet, I would cut out a few of the lower sections maybe 12 inches up from the floor to see if the water wicked up the back of the drywall. If that doesn't properly dry out and you used paper backed drywall you might get into a huge issue with mold down the road. I know its a major PITA, but you should investigate.

Originally Posted By: citationxeleven
Roots in the line? Probably a clay tile line and roots grew through a crack or at a joint.
If you're lucky...if it's Orangeburg pipe it sounds like it's time to replace, but only a plumber can tell you for sure.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I have 10 fans all borrowed from said dry neighbors hoping to salvage drywall.

Don't waste your time. Cut it out and get rid of it. It's easy enough to patch it. If you don't you'll have mold growing inside the wall in no time and it will only get worse.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
There are a number of possible reasons, none of which can be diagnosed over the Internet. You'll need to get someone out there and have them run a camera down the line in order to determine the problem and proper course of corrective action.

And while they're fixing the issue, have them install a backflow preventer.
+1 on the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back