BAR'S PERMANENT HEAD GASKET FIX DAMAGED MY ENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanic in a bottle is not a permanent fix, and i'm not surprised what happened.

Last edited:
From the Bar's Leak FAQ's:

"Q. Can Bar’s Leaks Block Seal Head Gasket Repair be installed in existing antifreeze?

A. No, you must first drain and flush the entire cooling system, including the overflow tank and refill with water. All antifreeze must be removed from cooling system or clogging could occur.

Q. Why do I have to drain and flush my cooling system?

A. This product contains a special sodium silicate (liquid glass) and this is not compatible with antifreeze"

Sounds like this stuff does not react well at all with any little remaining bit of antifreeze. Were multiple full flushes done of the cooling system before this product was added?

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
From the Bar's Leak FAQ's:

"Q. Can Bar’s Leaks Block Seal Head Gasket Repair be installed in existing antifreeze?

A. No, you must first drain and flush the entire cooling system, including the overflow tank and refill with water. All antifreeze must be removed from cooling system or clogging could occur.

Q. Why do I have to drain and flush my cooling system?

A. This product contains a special sodium silicate (liquid glass) and this is not compatible with antifreeze"

Sounds like this stuff does not react well at all with any little remaining bit of antifreeze. Were multiple full flushes done of the cooling system before this product was added?

They want every bit of AF out of the cooling system, so yes that would mean multiple flushes. You have to be positive there is no coolant in the system at all before using this product.

I've successfully used the brown pellets Bar's sells. They worked quite well for me and didn't clog anything except the leak. I think they're the same (or very similar) as some of the leak-stop tabs used by the OEMs.

But I would never use one of the head gasket fix-in-a-can products unless I was super desperate.

To the OP-
If you're real, live and learn. In the future, you should probably google a questionable product before pouring it in your engine (or transmission, power steering fluid, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Welcome to BITOG,
we use bars at the engine shop but it is the mild radiator version.

We've used that too, with success. However, anything that advertises itself as a "permanent head gasket fix" aside from actually replacing the head gasket is a bit questionable, if you ask me.

GM, Subuaru and many other OEMs have Bar leaks badged with their logo. While it does work on smaller leaks I would agree with mpost people in saying that anything that promises to perm fix anything will only drain your wallet and potentially kill the car

I think he's gone folks....probably going through the trash for the BARS container to now read the directions. I doubt the old coolant was removed, I doubt a mechanic told him his engine/trans was in good shape, and I seriously doubt it only suffered from one overheat.

I have never seen good results with stop leak products. The only thing I have ever seen that works is to actually repair or replace the part of the engine that failed, sometimes replacing it with a stronger part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back