Barb fittings and correct hose size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a remote filter kit that has 3/8" ID fittings, and a length of 5/16" hose. The hose will push on the fittings, but it's very tight
and seems to be too small. I'm concerned the hose will split. My thoughts are that a 3/8" hose would be a much better fit.
I also have an old ATF external cooler kit on the shelf, and it too has 3/8" fittings and 5/16" hose....it seems some mfgs ship
their kits with the next smaller sized hose.
What size hose do you guys use with a particular sized barb fitting?

Don't stretch 5/16" hose onto 3/8" fittings.....You will stress/break the reinforcement cords in the hose! Universal kits are just that.....They Universally fit NOTHING!

Your life, your money, your engine, etc. My two cents (and experience) is do NOT use anything except the correct size hose for the fittings! Additionally, you need hose sufficiently rated not only for the pressure but also for the temperatures. IF you have an unexpected LEAK at highway speed (while you're cruising/listening to music/watching the world go by...) how many SECONDS will it take to cost you an engine?
I have twenty-something fittings under my hood; I also carry with me at all times extra fittings, hose, clamps, knife, wrenches & assembly tools to replace any hose anywhere I'm at. It all fits in a small tackle box in my trunk and helps my heart be still on long trips. You probably know you can't go to Walmart or Napa or Autobone in Anytown, USA and buy AN barb fittings, NPT adapters and whatever is necessary to plumb a remote or bypass filter.

Good advice from all. I carry an emergency tool set in my vehicles, but extra hose, clamps, etc (and ATF) is a good idea.
I bought some 3/8" ATF hose. It's Gates brand, rated for 400 psi and high temp. Surprisingly it's also made in the USA.
Looks to be a good quality hose, with strong reinforcement cords.

Any opinions on using constant tension/spring clamps vs worm gear clamps?

Put a mic on that barb, it could be an in-between size like 11/32. They seem to pull this a lot with ATF hose.

I measured it again with my calibrated eyeballs, and it's indeed 3/8". I know what you mean, Eljefino. I think mfgs put
5/16" hose in both their 5/16 and 3/8 kits just to save a few pennies.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Put a mic on that barb, it could be an in-between size like 11/32. They seem to pull this a lot with ATF hose.

The hose that comes included with most all trans cooler kits is indeed 11/32"

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
You can't do any better than a constant pressure Mobea type hose clamp.

I used constant tension clamps, and looked on the box today for the brand, but it wasn't listed. They might
be Mobea/Mubea but I'm not sure.

The clamp size is for a 5/8" OD hose, and the clamp measures 9/16" ID. It's that 1/16 of an inch difference
that gives the clamp it's clamping force. Interesting....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back