Bando Belts - OEM vs Aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, not Bando but my experience with OE and aftermarket serp belts. OE belts for 1zz and 2zz engines (in Celicas) are complete [censored]. There's been numerous forum posts about putting a new belt on plus a tensioner replacement under warranty and such, all to combat a squeal that develops in a very short period of time (less than a year with new belt or tensioner or both).

The only solution, in my experience with two Celicas with either engines, and countless others, is to use the Gatorback belt. It does have a slight supercharger whine under load that isn't present with an OE belt, but it will not squeal for at least 5 years solid.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Instead of spending all these time trying to find out if they are the same, why not learn how is the belt routed, try to do it yourself and see how hard is it (or easy), and just buy a good quality aftermarket if it is easy to do?

I know how it is routed, I know how to change it and I know how hard it is to do. The only thing I did not know was people's experience with OEM vs aftermarket Bando belts. I was operating under the impression that automotive DIY forums were good places to ask this type of question.

Last edited:
I have used aftermarket Bando belts, and they have been fine. They seemed to be exactly the same as the OE belts removed.

I have noticed the same with Continental aftermarket vs BMW OE belts. The only difference is the price.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Instead of spending all these time trying to find out if they are the same, why not learn how is the belt routed, try to do it yourself and see how hard is it (or easy), and just buy a good quality aftermarket if it is easy to do?

I know how it is routed, I know how to change it and I know how hard it is to do. The only thing I did not know was people's experience with OEM vs aftermarket Bando belts. I was operating under the impression that automotive DIY forums were good places to ask this type of question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back