Ballistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it can work as you suggest in that type of situation. And it's certainly better than nothing. As are many products. In a pinch you use what's available. But there are far better products on the market to choose from, that will accomplish that task much better. Plain WD-40 is about the best water displacement product on the market, for getting rid of water and moisture where you don't want it. In fact, it ranked as one of the best rust preventatives in Brownell's rust test. It's cheap, and can be purchased most anywhere, and in every type of application container available. Pump spray, aerosol, or in bulk by the gallon. And it's cheap too boot.

Granted it's not much of a lubricant. But it will get rid of moisture, and prevent rust. The lubrication and rust prevention market are loaded with products that perform far better than Ballistol. And are much cheaper, easier to find, and work far better. But if my choice is between Ballistol or a dry rag. I'll go with it.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I agree that it can work as you suggest in that type of situation. And it's certainly better than nothing. As are many products. In a pinch you use what's available. But there are far better products on the market to choose from, that will accomplish that task much better. Plain WD-40 is about the best water displacement product on the market, for getting rid of water and moisture where you don't want it. In fact, it ranked as one of the best rust preventatives in Brownell's rust test. It's cheap, and can be purchased most anywhere, and in every type of application container available. Pump spray, aerosol, or in bulk by the gallon. And it's cheap too boot.

Granted it's not much of a lubricant. But it will get rid of moisture, and prevent rust. The lubrication and rust prevention market are loaded with products that perform far better than Ballistol. And are much cheaper, easier to find, and work far better. But if my choice is between Ballistol or a dry rag. I'll go with it.

I have been using WD-40 since I was 9 years old. It's a long story how I got started on working with engines at 9 years old, but one day I can go into detail. But, I have ALWAYS had a can of WD-40 in my possession since that age.
Since you and member AMC has brought up this information on Ballistol, I would like to know how it compares to DEEP CREEP and KROIL with past information given on it here, and what information you two have provided. In other words, is DEEP CREEP and KROIL a better alternative to Ballistol, equal to Ballistol, or just not in the same league as Ballistol?
Thank You!
smile.gif

Bilt- You are referring to using wd-40 for what it was originally designed for, as a water displacer; where the wd-40 actually drives out, displaces and replaces the water because wd-40 and water do not mix. Ballistol works in a very different way and doesn't really displace the water. The Ballistol mixes with the water and basically turns the water into an inert, non corrosive lubricant, which you later wipe off; once you are inside or at least done soaking your gun with water for the day.

Blue- Deep creep and Kroil are penetrating oils. They will work as decent firearm cleaners but are pretty poor lubricants and too thin, IMO. Other than that small comparison, they are different classes of products and don't compare too well.

Ballistol, is a CLP type product that is most effective as a gentle cleaner and light lubricant. I don't recommend Ballistol for AR-15's and other semi auto's that run hot. For revolvers and manual action firearms that do not get very hot, it is more than adequate. The biggest selling point about Ballistol is it's versatility. Besides being a light cleaner, lubricant and protectant, it also cleans and neutralizes corrosive and black powder residues, cleans and conditions leather, rubber, wood and plastic. It also moisturizes the skin, has a light anti-bacterial quality and repels most insects. Ballistol was designed as a do-all wonder fluid and at the time, it was. By today's standards, it is a pretty poor performer in any of those capacities but it does still work well enough as a C.L.P. for most people, in most situations.

For me, Ballistol is not my first choice CLP but I do keep some around, mostly for clean up after I shoot corrosive ammo.

When I was 6 years old my grandfather started teaching me about firearms, safety, cleaning, and hunting. For cleaning his firearms he used a mixture of kerosene and transmission fluid. He then lubed and wiped down all of his firearms with 3 IN 1 oil.
Today, I use a few methods of cleaning and lube. I just recently started using a product called Grizzly Grease CLP. I use 3 IN 1 oil most of the time to lube, and M1 on my SS firearms. And, that WD-40 is always on the back burner.
I have an aerosol can of DEEP CREEP and KROIL. The DC works well on throttle bodies, carburetors, IAC valves, etc. KROIL is the BEST penetrant I have ever used. PB BLASTER is an okay penetrant.

http://grizzlyguncare.com/grizzly-grease-non-toxic-clp-4-fl-oz/

Firearms cleaning and maintenance is not a scientific affair and personal preference has a lot to do with it.

The automotive and general purpose chemicals your grandfather used will still work today. The downsides to them are that they almost always smell worse, stain clothing, are more flammable and are much more toxic to you. 3 in 1 oil still works too but the smell is pretty strong and it can gum up and get sticky if applied too heavily and left in place too long. WD-40 is a pretty decent gentle gun cleaner but that too can get sticky if too much is used and never wiped down. Deep creep would probably be a pretty good gun cleaner but it is probably too thin and light to really be a lubricant. Kroil is a good bore cleaner and works well for removing seized fasteners on firearms. I agree it is the best penetrant I have used.

Grizzly grease looks like a good product, just not my preference because it is bio based. I know a lot of people use the bio based lubricants and they work well but The few I have tried got sticky after a few weeks and didn't work too well in the cold. My preferred gun lube and protectant is Corrosion-X. My second choice would be Super lube oil and grease. Those are just my choices, there are plenty of good products out there, almost too many.

This conversation is repeated constantly. And it always ends up hitting the same wall. The fact is guns are not that difficult to keep running and rust free. The outcome is far more dependent on the person, and frequency of application, then it is the product. Use whatever product you prefer, and use it regularly, and in enough of an amount, and you will most likely always have a good running, rust free weapon.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Firearms cleaning and maintenance is not a scientific affair and personal preference has a lot to do with it.

The automotive and general purpose chemicals your grandfather used will still work today. The downsides to them are that they almost always smell worse, stain clothing, are more flammable and are much more toxic to you. 3 in 1 oil still works too but the smell is pretty strong and it can gum up and get sticky if applied too heavily and left in place too long. WD-40 is a pretty decent gentle gun cleaner but that too can get sticky if too much is used and never wiped down. Deep creep would probably be a pretty good gun cleaner but it is probably too thin and light to really be a lubricant. Kroil is a good bore cleaner and works well for removing seized fasteners on firearms. I agree it is the best penetrant I have used.

Grizzly grease looks like a good product, just not my preference because it is bio based. I know a lot of people use the bio based lubricants and they work well but The few I have tried got sticky after a few weeks and didn't work too well in the cold. My preferred gun lube and protectant is Corrosion-X. My second choice would be Super lube oil and grease. Those are just my choices, there are plenty of good products out there, almost too many.

Agreed. I believe many folks go with what they learned or were taught with their early shooting and firearms experience and then branch off slightly. We were instructed to bring and use Hoppes #9 and Hoppes gun oil when I was in the New Jersey State Police Academy so that's what I have stuck with for the most part. I have experimented with other products but still have settled with Hoppes...although not sure what the difference is with the "synthetic " version and Rem Oil. Ballistol appealed to me me because it cleans and lubricates and works fine. Especially if you shoot that firearm with some frequency and are habitual about cleaning it after each time you shoot it.

I would think location of storage of firearms plays a part too.I use Renaissance Wax on guns that will be stored for longer periods of time. Stuff is amazing.

Honestly..for me, scrub the barrel, douce it with brake cleaner, couple drops of any old oil..end of story. I relize this is BITOG and we all (me included) take things to the exteme...and thats OK
34.gif
08.gif

This conversation is repeated constantly. And it always ends up hitting the same wall. The fact is guns are not that difficult to keep running and rust free. The outcome is far more dependent on the person, and frequency of application, then it is the product. Use whatever product you prefer, and use it regularly, and in enough of an amount, and you will most likely always have a good running, rust free weapon.

I didn't ask ANYTHING about cleaning my firearms, or the frequency at which I do. My ORIGINAL question was about Ballistol. Others added fuel to the fire, stacked more wood in the pile, laid more tar than needed, etc., etc., etc.,......I just came behind and started adding input on firearms after the conversation veered that way.
I guess the only way I will know if Ballistol is any good, I will have to buy some. But, that defeats the purpose of these forums if you can't ask advice about something before wasting money on something, or trusting those that give advice.
21.gif

I'm so confused!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I guess the only way I will know if Ballistol is any good, I will have to buy some. But, that defeats the purpose of these forums if you can't ask advice about something before wasting money on something, or trusting those that give advice.
21.gif

I'm so confused!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

I think you got some advice: Save your money, its another(expensive) "me too" thing to separate you from your $. Go try it and prove to yhourself that you wasted your money.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Al

21.gif

I'm so confused!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

I think you got some advice: Save your money, its another(expensive) "me too" thing to separate you from your $. Go try it and prove to yhourself that you wasted your money.
cheers3.gif

One again I have to agree with Al 100%. If someone gives you a can, take it. Otherwise save your money. Ballistol is basically licorice smelling Mineral Oil.

21.gif

I'm so confused!
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

cheers3.gif

One again I have to agree with Al 100%. If someone gives you a can, take it. Otherwise save your money. Ballistol is basically licorice smelling Mineral Oil.

Too late!
27.gif

Before reading the last advice from AL and so on, I went ahead and ordered a small can with a syringe bottle. I figured I might as well try it and see for myself if it is any good. When it gets here and I test it I will let you know how it actually works.
I'm taking suggestions on what I should try it out on first.
Thank You.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401354070505

I use it to wipe down my axes and hand tools that are wood/metal in composition, knowing that it won't hurt the wood...

I'll use it to wipe down guns as well, but only the ones with wooden stocks/grips.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I use it to wipe down my axes and hand tools that are wood/metal in composition, knowing that it won't hurt the wood...

I'll use it to wipe down guns as well, but only the ones with wooden stocks/grips.

Yeah, I feel better using it around wood than other stuff.

Imo that's the major benefit - many common products are not desirable to have on wood, rubber, or on your skin. Ballistol is not a concern for incident skin contact, which makes it a benefit in and of itself.

I'm taking suggestions on what I should try it out on first.
Thank You.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401354070505

Clean a gun with it first. Then lube up whatever gun you feel actually works better with lubrication. After that, use it to wipe down some leather and wood. For the final test, moisturize your hands with it and see how they feel.

Provided you shop around for Ballistol, it isn't really expensive. I bought a gallon can of it about 10 years ago for $65. The same website I got it from has it for $81 a gallon now. The 16 oz trigger spray cans on that website and ebay are around $18, really not too bad.

Don't listen to the naysayers. Ballistol works just fine, while being very versatile and safe. Your guns are not going to rust or fall apart because you use it.

Originally Posted By: Sealbilly
I like it better than Remoil, not as much a CLP Breakfree.

Anything is better than Remoil IMHO

Last edited:

Again, I agree with Al. Seawater would almost be a better choice than Rem-Oil. It's the first lubrication produce I've ever heard of, that manufacturers go out of their way to ship their new guns packaged with warning cards advising against using it. (DPMS). And the real kicker is DPMS is owned by Remington.

X3. Rem-oil is the worst gun care product going. It should be called rem-solvent. I have seen it actually cause rust on metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back