Balance of waste and useage of the environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah man this is the way I see it... We are a throw away nation that is lacking the ability to be content with what we already have that works just fine. I'm not in favor of or suggesting we need the government to step in and attempt to "fix" this circumstance. I am in favor a private effort to make us realize what we are doing is not only not good for us has individual people or families... But it isn't good for this planet has well. Also... We need to bring back our ability to PRODUCE goods here again in order to bring our economy back into balance again. How to do that?? Well, really shouldn't go there
smile.gif
so I will just say I believe there are answers that CAN do that.

Think about this for a while...

Best for the Earth would be to reduce the amount of us walking around on it. The Earth can barely support the #'s we have here now and we keep adding to it...

mjoekingz28, you raise a lot of good questions. Unfortunately, many of them do not have easy answers.

Environmentalism, at least in it's current form, is a rich man's (or country's) game. Truly poor people, such as those in many third world countries, are too busy trying just to survive to worry about pollution and/or depletion of resources.

I am absolutely convinced that we have enough resources to feed and clothe the human beings on the planet today. However, a lot of starvation and poverty is caused by politics. Various tinpot dictators around the world would rather enrich themselves at their citizens' expense than allow them to exercise their own creativity and enrich themselves.

For instance, in India and China, methane generators are being built that use animal and human waste to generate energy to provide light and refrigeration. This is a huge step forward for people who don't have light and refrigeration. It also yields a safer fertilizer than untreated waste.

Banning plastic bags, as has been done here in several California communities, may help to keep some marine life alive. However, it would be much more effective for individuals to manage their own trash, and for landfills etc. to institute controls that keep bags and such from blowing away. If we practiced not littering on a large scale, the aforementioned Pacific Garbage Patch would begin to decline, or at least not expand.

I can tell you that the air where I live is much cleaner than it was in 1979 when I moved here, even though there are approximately three billion more people in the world now. Nonetheless, pollution controls on automobiles become ever more restrictive, even though I think we're past the point of diminishing returns.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Best for the Earth would be to reduce the amount of us walking around on it. The Earth can barely support the #'s we have here now and we keep adding to it...

You first...

You seem to be expressing the waste not want not ideas from another age.
I agree with you.
How much cleaner and more sustainable might our world be if we all focused on reducing wasted output?
How much more financially secure would most of us be?
Waste is a sin, environmentally as well as in the exploitation of poverty level labor throughout the world it involves.
We often fail to value that which isn't dear, without regard to its utility or the real costs involved in producing the many mundane items of everyday life.

At the petting barn at the fair last month there was a foot pump for pouring water to wash your hands. Just simple ideas such as that that at least make us more conscious of the subject.

Then, how about faucets that are wide open at just barely open.....then the second half of opening seems to produce no more flow.....just easy waste like that, could be had for free it seems.

I am conscious of how much water I use, but even sometimes catch myself with the faucet wide open to wash my hands where just little moremthan a few drops would be better, but the faucet is full blast so easily. You must be deft to get it to drizzle. My cars are sometimes like that. First 1/4 of throttle it is hammer down, the rest three quarters makes no noticable difference. Or a stereo with 100 volume settings....the first fifty you cannot even hear, then the others are a hair to loud or too soft........it seems either someone does not care, or is purposely interfering or does not realise what is going on with the finished product.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: itguy08

You first...

Sure - 0 kids and there will never be any so after the wife and I are gone it's -2 for the population.

How can the Earth support the 8+ Billion that are on it without a massive impact to the Earth? You can only grow so much food, there is only so much land, etc, etc.

But nobody wants to hear that or think, maybe have 0-2 kids and not 3+...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I do wonder where all that garbage goes! Does the Earth eat it when it is buried?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

That is such an easy fix....

Just fill all the bottles with water and watch as they sink to the ocean floor....out of sight out of mind....

It is not, as I think, not thst there isnt enough land. There is probably more than enough...it is that some is desert and there is not enough water to sustain life continually!

I'm a bottom feeder - I scoop up other peoples discards and use them to end of life....what I call end of life, not what they called end of life.

Silk,
my son and I had great fun the other day harvesting thrown out bikes for parts, and making a 20" mountainbike frame with 10 speed racer forks and stuff...it turned out pretty good.

His BMX cost us $10 + rubber after his dragster was stolen...he's more comfortable with a bike that cost nothing.

Got a gas bottle hank drum on the back doorstep for when the neighbour's ring to get our attention.

It's all fun, and beats working for stuff for the low lifes to steal.

Yeah, yesterday we were staying overnight in another town, and went for a walk...the girls are lagging behind. My son in law and I stop and turn around - and they are looking in someones recycle bin and pull out a couple of large screw top glass jars. They were very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back