bad TCL 10 PRO or just programming

my cheep TCL A-30 was working fine but not pleased with AirVoice except their price, so shopping for a better model, just because i picked another TCL a 10 PRO + found one just under $200 from BestBuy. got it shipped to store + picked it up, no offer to setup or even show about it, got home + unlike other phones there was no home screen to start + setup my MVNO APN's so back to store + they got a home page on it, back home to add my APN setup + sim card from my new provider RedPocket, everything looks normal BUT no ringtone or calling in or out!! I a am learning but not that phone savy yet + searching i tried some of the suggestions BUT NO workie + considering a warranty claim as i picked it up early Feb 2023 so no store return so i gotta go thru TCL a pain for sure!! a hard reset was mentioned among other stuff + with nothing stored on phone i am thinking about it. the RedPocket sim in my other phone a TCL A30 works as it should but not in the TCL 10 pro also on the approve GSMA list. suggestions greatly appreciated + thanks in advance

everything looks normal
Does it say "Red Pocket" on the left side of the top bar and have signal bars on the right side? is there any abnormal thing like an R or an X next to the signal bars?

When you try to make a call, what happens? Do you hear any sort of recording?

The APN does not affect phone calls, only data access (and some cases texts). Which by the way, does data access work such as going to a web site using the Chrome browser? Almost always with modern stuff, it will work to set the phone to Automatic APN.

Phone WiFi must be turned OFF during this troubleshooting.

thanks for the reply, i have bars but gotta check the other stuff. calling my home phone says voicemail not set up + the phones any call i try. sim is back in my functional TCL A-30 + case needs to be separated to remove so i will check it later + reply + yes i figured out how to add WiFi as i continue to slowly learn!!

retired but busy + next week i will get into my phone issue + visit BestBuy where i got it + maybe get lucky!! RedPcket replied if my other TCL A 30 works with their Sim the "better" TCL 10 Pro surely should work + its a problem with that Phone!

finally caught up + "working" on my non functional TCL 10 PRO. i show 3 bars + GSMA on the top left of screen. checked settings + all "seems" right ?? calling from my land line says person you alled has a voice mailbox not set up yet no ringtone or other sound + calling from my cell only gets a da dunk sound after showing calling but no ringtone, suggestions appreciated!! thinking of a hard reset + having disabled many apps i wonder about the misbehaving note that did bother my fully functional TCL A30 with tge same sim card!

went to where i bought the phone Best Buy + the "phone guy" suggested contacting RedPocket for another Sim before warranting the phone, worth a try i guess + still wondering if the "Resets" on the phone could help + whatever works is my answer!! as i like the TCL 10 Pro better than the fully functional A-30 as it just works better BUY wont send or receive calls!!

updating if anyone is interested, TCL says try a new sim RedPocket says phone Not compatible BUT it has so many more connection specs than the A30 that works RP suggests a GSMT sim to replace my GSMA i have, i said whatever works without xtra cost as o rarely use any cell but surely nice to have which is why i look to a cheep service that works!! TV service is turned off-paused Dish for up to 9 mo @ $5 a month, i hate throwing away $$$$ not poor but just conservative as theres better places to spend IMO!

RedPocketMobile is cheap however the customer service is slow. If you have lots of time on your hands decent service for price.

Voicemail took a couple hours to setup along with hotspot taking over 1 hr with a call or chat.

Trying to get a number moved from Redpocket to Verizon took 1.25 hrs with Verizon rep, redpocket eastern european rep and myself on three way call.

Good luck !

having no people manned $$$ offices VMNO keep costs low + being retired with rare phone use i have more time than money, depends what you want + need as well as can afford. Redpocket have promptly E-mailed replies + as noted my TCL A-30 works fine but the nicer TCL10 PRO from 2020 has a lot more connections listed is unusual it wont call or receive calls. but for $60 a year 100 min talk + tex +500 GB of DATA it serves me well, just like to get the "nicer" easier to use TCL 10 PRO fully functioning!! stopped into a local ATT store Fri looking for tips a guy + 2 gals in a nice building doing NOTHING is why they gotta charge more, like big glitzy Car Dealers, lots of OVERHEAD=$$$ i have little stored in my phone so i just whatever # was generated, a few min process! getting thru to a person is not bad, only issue a common one understanding them + not to mention a lot of backround noise from people working from their homes!! some may not be familiar RedPocket yearly plans on E-Bay are even cheeper than other plans!

Last edited:
Had Red Pocket for at least 5 to 6 years. I could not give a higher recommendation and many others feel the same.
Never had an issue more than any other company I used since I first had a cell phone around the year 2000 that's 23 years.

There are issues with any technology and any service. For the few times I ever had to contact Red Pocket the Chat always worked best for me.
When you sign up you choose TMobile, ATT and Verizon service. I suspect the issue is with them and not Red Pocket the reseller.
Either way, Im just saying this so others do not get discouraged to try Red Pocket, nothing to lose. No contract.
With any service mainstream phones are safer to use. Samsung or Apple iPhones are home runs. Price and service is unbeatable.

Only reason we switched after so many years is Tmobile had a special for 55+ Magenta plan.
Actual Payment is $70 for everything including airplane data and over seas texting, plus free Netflix but the reason we switched at the time we were offered two new iPhone 13's which were $1,600 at the time for no cost other than trading in our current iPhone 11 and iPhone XR. SO technically we are paying $20 a month over the cost of Red Pocket but we do have a few extra services and we always had Netflix before and now Tmobile picks up part of that bill, throw in $1600 of new phones at no cost other than giving them our old phones and it was a no brainer.

With that said I would not hesitate to go back to Red Pocket if I ever wanted to drop T Mobile. Since our kids are now older and moved out, they two have switched over because of me. I prefer Red Pocket monthly plans but my daughter does buy the annual plan for less than $30 for unlimited everything direct from Red Pocket. My son chose the month to month plan. We used to have the month to month family plan before switching to T Mobile for the above reason.

thanks for the reply, redpocket has responded in a timely manner several times + are still "working" on it + last reply suggested the GSMT sim instead of my present GSMA that works in my TCL A30 + not the TCL 10 PRO i recently purchased at bestbuy + on that note i bought a table radio from them years ago that did NOT work but they took it back without question. i replied whatever works as far as Sims as my phones are ALWAYS bought UNLOCKED. TCL is decent for their lower cost as i am a very light user + not interested in a high zoot $$$$ phone. only issue is when i gave them my PRO 10's IMEI they said it was good, but i feel it will get rectified. not very techy but reading + learning + appreciate any input. the guys at Staples were trying to help + they both had redpocket, very nice considering i did not get the phone there, but bought the HP laptop i am using there!!

That model lacks band 71, it's not a good match for the T-Mobile network which uses band 71 extensively in rural areas. Don't get talked into switching.

thanks for the reply, redpocket has responded in a timely manner several times + are still "working" on it + last reply suggested the GSMT sim instead of my present GSMA that works in my TCL A30 + not the TCL 10 PRO i recently purchased at bestbuy + on that note i bought a table radio from them years ago that did NOT work but they took it back without question. i replied whatever works as far as Sims as my phones are ALWAYS bought UNLOCKED. TCL is decent for their lower cost as i am a very light user + not interested in a high zoot $$$$ phone. only issue is when i gave them my PRO 10's IMEI they said it was good, but i feel it will get rectified. not very techy but reading + learning + appreciate any input. the guys at Staples were trying to help + they both had redpocket, very nice considering i did not get the phone there, but bought the HP laptop i am using there!!
GSMA is AT&T
GSMT is T-Mobile and why they may want to try switching networks to get it working.

Good luck! I know it can be frustrating

RedPocket is sending a new GSMT this week so time will tell + i will update for others.

When I changed over to Redpocket is wasnt all that easy either . First time porting over so Im not sure if it was normal or not . I shoulda documented each step I did to help others because it was more difficult than following there directions . Some problems were due to the old carrier .
Here's another Redpocket thread that may be of help >>>>>>>> https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/redpocket-verizon-review.335785/

received my new GSMT sim from redpocket to hopefully cure the cant call or receive calls in my TCL 10 PRO but works im my cheep $99 A-30. been busy and i "clear" a few hrs before contacting them, but IMO a small price to pay in time which dont matter being retired vs something that costs more! thanks for the link as i see many happy customers saving $$$ after things get sorted!

HOORAY!! my TCL 10 PRO works with the GSMT sim from RedPocket but not with their GSMA sim i originally ordered. got it sorted on their chat, a little time consuming but being retired, no biggie IMO as i find that understanding people with accents an issue sometimes even thou not a fast typer its always understandable!!

my $99 TCL A-30 with removable battery worked better than the BLOATED motoE-7 + the TCL 10 PRO is even better at just under $200!! to each his own $$$$$ i mostly just talk + only when needed + NOT ADDICTED as many are to their phones + unlike everyone with their noses stuck in a phone at dinner i TALK to my girlfriend + not to mention UNHEALTHY radiation especially with 5G's. parents should NOT allow young children on them due to health issues!! you can have my like new moto E -7 for $50 + shipping

an update installed the GSMT sim RedPocket quickly sent + a little Chat everything is GREAT!!! thanks to all who commented! nice having the minimal service i use for $60 a YEAR!!

Back