dim unreadable TCL A30 phone screen

my cheep $100 TCL A30 phone screen always turned dark after calling someone + now its very dim + barely unreadable when i turn the phone on. not a phone guy + only use it lightly + have AirVoice an MVNO which worked good enough for me on the cheep!! just happened yesterday when i was trying to learn how to send a pic + was also "cleaning out" disabling stuff not needed, would not the first time i "messed" up while trying to improve + learn! suggestions appreciated.

I am the master of cheap....but I would not spend any time on a cheap phone that was giving me problems. If you are on a cheapo plan then check out a samsung a32 - decent phone with a nice big screen - now at walmart for $250

Hate to ask the obvious, but have you checked the brightness level and tried toggling adaptive brightness on and off?

thanks for replies, searching said to take phone in a dark room + doing that allowed me to see enough to see adaptive brightness "got turned off" + turning it on cured my issue. like windows 10 things can be too touchy or even seem to have a mind of their own!!

thanks for replies, searching said to take phone in a dark room + doing that allowed me to see enough to see adaptive brightness "got turned off" + turning it on cured my issue. like windows 10 things can be too touchy or even seem to have a mind of their own!!
This sounds more like user error. "I changed a bunch of stuff" It has a mind of its own?
Adaptive brightness just turns screen dim in dark room and bright in bright room/sunlight
you also have a slider bar for the "base" brightness level somewhere.
usually settings>display

Moto G power is my goto cheap phone. TCL is out of phone business and their phones were not good ever.. sometimes a good value.
Even TCL with faster processor and more ram are clunky and laggy.

Last edited:
I keep mine set to off and adjust the slider as needed. Having it on makes my screen way to bright. I have a Moto G7 and it's suppose to learn my preferences by adjusting the slider manually while it's on but it never seemed to do that, I may try it again.

One of the main reason that cell phone are cheap or expensive is the quality of the screen.
Probably no. 2 on the list after the CPU.
But a phone can have good CPU but not good screen, then it is screwed.
IMO.

With the home screen active, pull down from the top twice to see the brightness slider at the bottom of the screen. If the phone is locked you only have to pull down once. Set the slider high so that if adaptive is turned off you can still see.

Back