Bad news for me, everyone uses the Cardone part number...

Are you able to look under the dash to determine where this vacuum leak is? It sounds like you're having multiple issues now.

It is normal for the booster to make a hissing noise inside the car when brake pedal is pressed. There is usually a piece of felt or foam to muffle the noise, but after many years it could have degraded.

Reasons for the pedal to go to the floor with no braking effect include:
Lack of fluid.
Air in the lines.
Rear drums severely out of adjustment.
Bad seal in the master cylinder.

So you're probably down to the last one.

When I called for a tow truck to get this car to the shop, a guy who I'd went to school with showed up with a flatbed. He saw my name on the ticket and let the boss know that I was a friend, and wanted to take it. He took care of everything perfectly. It is nice when someone you know shows up.

Mechanic put the new master cylinder on, and flushed the whole system out. He used an entire quart and that's just fine. Brake fluid is cheap. That resolved the issue with no pedal.

Out of caution, the mechanic also replaced the front calipers and the rubber hoses as well. The calipers just weren't retracting to suit him, and the hoses are extremely dry and are showing signs of cracking. Probably not a bad idea, to have at least two known good brakes on a car... ;)

This was somewhat of a problem, when his supplier (Advance) broke the bad news that calipers for Fox bodies are on national backorder with their supplier. Sooo.... we had to use O'Reilly's. We could only get one out of the nearest O'Reilly warehouse and then delivered overnight to a local store... so we had to have them drop-shipped out of a warehouse in Detroit. O'Reilly only charged $17 for overnight UPS, for a 20 pound box. I thought that was reasonable enough.

The calipers are only $24 each, and hoses are $12 each. Really not a bad idea.

The new Uniroyal tires are on it as well. The whitewalls are still bluish though. Not sure what it is going to take to get them white. I'm going to try a scotchbrite scrubby pad. The shop used BleachWhite and a 3000 psi hot water pressure washer, and that didn't get all of the blue off. I think they just need some gentle scrubbing.

I have known first hand about Cardone's quality since the 1960's when they were located on Clearfield Street in Philadelphia. I would use any other available brand than a remanufactured part from Cardone.

I have known first hand about Cardone's quality since the 1960's when they were located on Clearfield Street in Philadelphia. I would use any other available brand than a remanufactured part from Cardone.

Ended up using a Raybestos (new) Master cylinder. I didn't need a Booster, and that's where Cardone would have became a problem.

Back