Bad gas or water.

Filled the fuel tank in my Silverado the other day and went on an errand this morning and she started running rough, luckily I made it home as I had to keep pumping the gas to keep her running, my driveway is on a slope and as soon as I parked I let her idle and the idle cleared up, backed up and she started running rough again?? aside from draining the tank (It;s FULL) is their anything I can throw in the tank to help clear it up???

I dont know of anything that will fix a phase separation or excessive water. You might want to use a siphon tube that will reach the bottom of the tank and drain a gallon or so. You can put it into a glass jar and see if you get a layer of water under the gas or pour a little bit in a safe area and try and burn it just incase its all water. I have a paste for diesel fuel that you put a dab on a stick or tube and run it to the bottom of the tank and it turns pink if any water is detected, I dont know if they have anything like that for gas. If your turck is anything like mine you probably have a 35 or 36 gal tank, too much to drain but if you can suck 10 gal or so off the bottom and replace with 93 oct it may clear up.

Edit: if you are near the water there are fuel polishing services that boater use. They pump the gas out, filter it and remove water and put it back in. You may have to add an octane booster after that but they probably have that too.

Threw a can of Berryman B12 in the tank, says it disperses moisture, probably gonna add a second can for good measure. ;)

I have a paste for diesel fuel that you put a dab on a stick or tube and run it to the bottom of the tank and it turns pink if any water is detected, I dont know if they have anything like that for gas.
Same stuff, the only difference is that there is a special one for Ethanol gasoline.

They pump the gas out, filter it and remove water and put it back in. You may have to add an octane booster after that but they probably have that too.
This is kinda funny to me. Phase separation is generally caused by ethanol in the fuel, which IS the octane booster, which DOES mix with water. So any octane booster you would put back in would LIKELY be ethanol, that was contaminated by the water to begin with.
Not saying that it would happen again, but, well, I'm sure you see my point.

Well I ended up draining the tank and refueled with SHELL 89, she's running great now, guess ill stay away from ARCO for a while. ;)

Bump!

Got the same problem now. It began right after nearly filling my '92 Silverado with—brace yourself—Shell. And yes, this truck has a 35–gallon tank too. Sometimes the lumpy idle and slightly sluggish acceleration seem to try to clear up, but then start again.

The tank was virtually empty, so I had to stop at an unfamiliar station. It had plenty of customers, which should have been a good sign. Ha ha. I got only about 23 gallons of the problem gas before the debit card reached the dollar limit at the pump, so I finished filling at a Pure station, which helped. I'll try Heet next.

In case you guys with long memories wondered after reading about the 2011 Ranger I bought last year, this Silverado was my late dad's truck. It's a rusty behemoth, but has its uses.

Am I the only one that is reminded of Roy D Mercer when they see the phrase "bad gas"?

Back