Bad gas even with stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I store my small engine gas in Eagle metal safety cans and add a half ounce of Pri - G fuel stabilizer to each 5 gallon can. I use the gas within 6 months of purchase. With all those precautions, you would think I would have zero ethanol problems. I had a riding mower that sat for 6 weeks outdoors covered with tarps and filled with stabilized gas. Today I went to use it and the smell of spoiled gas was overpowering. I drained the tank, refilled with E zero gas and the mower fired up and ran fine. I am shocked that the gas spoiled when treated with Pri-G. Is there another stabilizer that works better? I am so [censored] about this I may start running E zero, but, it is $3.40 per gallon here.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can make your own E0 by doping the next higher grade with a little water. The ethanol and water drop right out and sit on the bottom.

That being said I just use Stabil and 2.5 gallon plastic jugs with no problem. Usually keep a 4 jugs over the winter for the snow blower or generator.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I use double dose of StaBil and keep the cans under cover. It easily lasts a year without issues.

+1 I've never had an issue as well.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
add a half ounce of Pri - G fuel stabilizer to each 5 gallon can.

Never heard of Pri-G. Just use a double dose of Stabil, as I and many others do, and you won't have any problems. Half an ounce of fuel stabilizer to 5 gallons doesn't sound like enough at all.

Pri - G is pretty concentrated and one ounce treats 16 gallons per the instructions. The product comes in a plastic bottle with a built in measure. You can measure out one ounce or a half ounce with the built in measure. I use a half ounce per five gallon can because it is easy to measure out that way. The FAQ on the company website says using a little more will not hurt.

........and if you need a genset for say 12-24 hours because of power outage in winter? or a bad storm?

You have no gas in your gensets tank and no 5er standing by because you were waiting till spring to get fuel.

but for sure you wont have to manage gasoline.

UD

Last edited:
...Today I went to use it and the smell of spoiled gas was overpowering...

Yes, but how did it run if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
........and if you need a genset for say 12-24 hours because of power outage in winter? or a bad storm?

You have no gas in your gensets tank and no 5er standing by because you were waiting till spring to get fuel.

but for sure you wont have to manage gasoline.

UD

When people buy a generator they should have a plan:
1) how large a generator
2) how to connect it up
3) where will it be run to not cause CO poisoning
4) test it every month or two
5) how long do you need to run it for and what is the plan to have the needed gas available

but few actually have that plan.

...Like my neighbors- when then power goes out for more than a few hours - ask me to bail them out.

UD

Use Top Tier gasoline for sitting around. You need a gas that can resist the effects of condensation and corrosion.

It can impact the fuel pump, fuel lines, and fuel injectors. Furthermore, formation of particles from corrosive processes such as rusting of steel surfaces can contribute to the blocking of fuel filters.
I always choose Phillips66 or Shell, the advanced formulation in New Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline is designed to protect critical fuel system components from corrosion.

Use propane or diesel for generators.

Old gas has oxidized, reacted with the oxygen and it forms nasty gum and varnishes. Why not just buy when you need it and use up the rest in your car before it goes bad. Worst thing is to let old gas sit for months in a fuel system that has air exposure.
If you could totally seal the gas, and keep it cool, would last forever. but carbs have vents to the air and so do tanks.

My fuel injected car, the gas lasts much longer since it is mostly sealed system.

Last edited:
I store my small engine gas in Eagle metal safety cans and add a half ounce of Pri - G fuel stabilizer to each 5 gallon can. I use the gas within 6 months of purchase. With all those precautions, you would think I would have zero ethanol problems. I had a riding mower that sat for 6 weeks outdoors covered with tarps and filled with stabilized gas. Today I went to use it and the smell of spoiled gas was overpowering. I drained the tank, refilled with E zero gas and the mower fired up and ran fine. I am shocked that the gas spoiled when treated with Pri-G. Is there another stabilizer that works better? I am so [censored] about this I may start running E zero, but, it is $3.40 per gallon here.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 things observed:

(1) I would never use Pri-G, citing that they are one of the "scammiest" company/product ever marketed out there during the past 8+yrs and counting....

(2) you exposed your mower to the outside element, where are and moisture can and WILL sneak into your gas tank and deteriorate your gasoline, regardless of whether you have added fuel stabiliser additive or not.

Why? for takers, your OPE tank filler cap is not sealed and pressurised like automobile system does, so when gasoline expands and contracts during thermal fluctuations, it will suck in moisture and expel it's "essence" (the volatile portion of the gasoline, aka "vapour").

2nd: as the other posters stated: your carb orifice and jets, emulsion tube, etc. are exposed to the environment and gasoline vapours will get out into the atmosphere from those holes, along forming gum and varnish as it deteriorates inside the carb.

mowers and all OPEs should be stored indoors (garage or shed), in a dry, relatively low humidity and low temperature fluctuation environment, doped with fuel stabiliser, also geta sheet of thick clear plastic to cover over the fuel filler neck and then cap it tight. Install a fuel shutoff valve if possible, and then drain or run dry the carb afterwards. Lastly: I'd also strongly recommend the fogging of the engine before storage, to minimise the possibility of rust formation on valves, piston rings, cylinder wall, etc. and give it a light coating of oil film to protect.

YOur subject title is misleading. It should said: " gas turn bad when mower left outside exposed to elements...even with fuel stabiliser".

Q.

Oh and I almost forgot: you pretty much asking for trouble if you throw your mower or OPE outside exposing them to the element (moisture, condensation, etc.) even covered in tarb. Fact is, mosture will rise from the ground and get trapped underneath the tarp simply because tarp cannot let the moisture gets through. It's no different than,say, leaving it completely exposed to the rain, etc. Lastly: all exposed metal parts such as magneto coil laminates, flywheel metal portion, points, contact switches, etc. will corrode if you leave it outside.... leave it outside long enough and your engine is pretty much ruined.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I use double dose of StaBil and keep the cans under cover. It easily lasts a year without issues.

+1 I've never had an issue as well.

Me either.

bad gas smells like somebody pist in the tank....

UD

Last edited:
I had used Sta-Bil in a new generator and within 8 months went to start it and the main jet was partially clogged already.

I've had the best luck thus far with "Ethanol Shield". Zero problems in the two years I've used it.

Can be bought at Home Defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back