Bad Discount Tire experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you're off base in assuming the Ohtsu tires are poor quality. I've seen Ohtsu tires on big rigs, so I doubt they are poor quality. Anyway since when are General tires a premium brand? Junior just had an expensive lesson in upselling.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I believe you're off base in assuming the Ohtsu tires are poor quality. I've seen Ohtsu tires on big rigs, so I doubt they are poor quality. Anyway since when are General tires a premium brand? Junior just had an expensive lesson in upselling.

I run Ohtsu by choice on my GXP. They have the FP7000 in my size and a price I can't pass up. Got them at DT, perfect and wearing normally.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Your son is like my grandson. May be very Intelligent, but not smart. Lucky if my grandson knows how to put gas in a car. Has no interest in cars. (He is my daughters son). He can't learn from his father, as his father is also a car dummy.

Everyone gets trophies! Everyone gets an A+!

Quote:
….In my case, the car came into DT with one destroyed rear tire, one practically unworn 8/32nds rear tire and two front tires worn to 5/32nds. It seems to me as a knowledgeable car guy, that the fair, honest and logical thing to have done, and what I expected them to do, was rotate the tires, and replace the bad one with the same tire. Then I have 4 matched RT43 tires, and safe tread at all 4 corners.

'IMO', this should have been the instruction given to your son as he headed out the door to DT. In this case it follows the word 'assume' adage. In a perfect world the counter dude may have read exactly what your desire was. However, if son had those instructions with the caveat, call if they recommend doing something different, this result could have been avoided.

That said deed now done, I agree with tenderloin's post. I've returned tires (ContiDWS) to DT with 30 day ride guarantee and gotten something different. No questions asked. Sounds like three of the four tires in replacement range anyway. I've even had DT give me a decent credit for two tires in the same tread range as the one you had, so I could buy 4 new tires instead of two. All I did was ask if they would give me some credit for them if I purchased four. And the two tires credited weren't DT purchase tires.

So while not an ideal result currently, in my experience with DTs here, thinking the result can still be salvaged closer to your desire and/or satisfaction.

IDK, but many years ago my wife decided to give our son her 1994 Bonneville that I had just had new tires installed 3 months earlier. 3 months later the fronts were down to 5/32's. I made him pay me $50, and the wear was fine after that. I did the same thing with my Mom's 69 Cougar rear tires when I started driving.

So bottom line is they refused to fix the tire, via limit worn for safety and thats their policy. So the choice is to buy one tire, or other variables. If I were going to by only one tire, cheap tire sounds good since its a mis match anyway.

But if Im going to buy 3 or 4 tire's , then we would get the real tires.

I don't under stand buying 3 tires , and not just get a whole set , cause its still a mis match.

This is why my wife doesn't buy tires, that's my job. However why didn't your SON call you , since this was way out of bounds of why he went there, that's really 90% his doing, is this result.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
So bottom line is they refused to fix the tire, via limit worn for safety and thats their policy. So the choice is to buy one tire, or other variables. If I were going to by only one tire, cheap tire sounds good since its a mis match anyway.

But if Im going to buy 3 or 4 tire's , then we would get the real tires.

I don't under stand buying 3 tires , and not just get a whole set , cause its still a mis match.

This is why my wife doesn't buy tires, that's my job. However why didn't your SON call you , since this was way out of bounds of why he went there, that's really 90% his doing, is this result.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dwgwater, you really should take the car back to Discount Tire, explain your dissatisfaction and get a set of 4 matching tires.
It seems like your scared or embarrassed to do so; or are so ticked off your living with it and using this forum to vent.
I owned a WRX. I had Discount Tire put on some ultra high performance all-season Kumho's when the original Bridgestones wore out.
The Kumho's had softer sidewalls and less steering response than the OEM tires. I went back to Discount Tire and they exchanged them for something else.
They didn't deduct money for mounting and balancing the Kumhos nor did anyone get upset like it was going against a store metric affecting the quarterly bonus.

5/32's isn't far from done. If I had to go into a shop and was faced with two 5/32's, one 8/32 and now an 11/32, I'd be tempted to just get a whole new set too. Cheap if need be. Those 5/32's would be stuck up front until they died, then I'd have to rotate a mismatched pair up front? At the very least I would have done a pair of new tires for the rear, with any luck they'd be barely worn when the fronts dropped below 4/32.

You could always figure out what it SHOULD HAVE cost you, and what it did, and charge the son the difference. He can then decide if he wants to recoup his money by getting DT to do what is needed, or to just eat the cost.

I've unfortunately had bad experiences the last 2 times I've been to DT as well.

Had the summer tires mounted back on my Van, heavy vibration from 70-75. I Went to rotate the front to back to see if it was a tire issue and found they had put the lug nuts on backwards for the rear tires. It has steelies with the conical lug nuts, that could have been dangerous if I didn't catch it. I called to try and get an appointment and explain what I found, the "manager" had no sympathy and tried to get me in a week later. Forget it, got it in somewhere else the next day.

Decided to give them another shot with a new set of tires on my Impala. That thing bounces from the right front from 45-50 now like it has a out of round tire. Didn't do it with the old tires. Took a look at the tires to see if I could see anything obvious. A$$ hats totally mauled up my lug nuts on all wheels. Looked like they tried to spin them on without them being all the way seated in the socket. Sigh... I still need to call to get an appointment to have that looked at. I'm just sick of dealing with tire issues. I'm going to a different location this time to see if it's any better service. There are two within 10 miles from me. The location close to me has lost me as a customer.

Last edited:
That's what happens when you send a kid to do a man's job. They don't start a job without a signature and your son must have agreed to it and signed on the bottom line.... When I was young, I found out the hard way how much the butcher's thumb weighed.

Last edited:
I've bought tires there and will again. Take the car in and tell them what you want.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
That's what happens when you send a kid to do a man's job. They don't start a job without a signature and your son must have agreed to it and signed on the bottom line.... When I was young, I found out the hard way how much the butcher's thumb weighed.

Or you bring one with you who starts talking to DT rep about spinning tires …

Originally Posted By: Huie83

Had the summer tires mounted back on my Van, heavy vibration from 70-75. I Went to rotate the front to back to see if it was a tire issue and found they had put the lug nuts on backwards for the rear tires.

how does that even happen. I didnt think any would fit that way?

They were open ended and the cone was out and the flat was against the cone shaped seating surface on the wheel? ?@? or did I miss something

Unless the tires were dry rotted or old, 5/32” sounds a bit aggressive to sell a new set of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back