Bad battery or false reading

Carburetor1

Today I hooked my charger up to car battery while it was installed in the truck since the accessories were on for awhile. It is a smart charger and will alert if the battery is bad or it will charge to 100%. Today it started to charge and then stopped and said to replace battery. So I removed it and hooked it up again and it charged up to 98% with no alert for bad battery. I also put a different battery in the truck and charged it up with no problems. Is this normal or is there something I should check into

You need to LOAD test the battery after charging.
Load test is different than Voltage test.
The Load tester will test the ability of the battery to generate amp (current) while maintaining the voltage.

GF had a original equipment, car type battery as the battery back up for a sump pump...2 different charger/maintainers showed the battery was strong and fully charged...the back up failed and I took the battery to be properly LOAD tested...as soon as a load was placed on the "fully charged and maintained 1 year old battery it failed...

the above was replaced with a new, AC Delco Marine battery and the battery has worked when called to do so and still passes the load test almost 4 years since replacement...

Load testing is the ticket...

Bill

Isn't it odd that when it was hooked up to the truck it read that and the next time it also said to replace or service battery. Then the third time after being removed it charged up to 98%

Back